• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis use and COVID-19.

Yourbaker

Bluelighter
Rumours that I need help dispelling.

Cannabis lowers the immune system as evidenced by the increase in white blood cell count. Is this simply from smoking or do edibles also increase the white cell count?

Due to lack of easy to find real answers in our current economic market I'm stumped.

My guess is that the increase in white cells in specifically a response to vaping or smoking at high temps and shouldn't be the same for edible only users? I have zero evidence.

Aren't white blood cells a marker of a healthy immune system? I.e. more is a normal response to infection and is part of your body's natural immune response

White blood cell counts above average are an indication that the bone marrow is going into increased production, normally this indicates a viral battle. In regular cigarette and marijuana smokers white blood cell production is elevated. This is beneficial for people suffering from immune disorders, HIV patients, cancer patients etc.

I can't find any separated data for marijuana use besides smoking. I'm curious to know if the white blood cell increase is caused by heated vapor (smoke damage) and is stimulating an immunity response and increasing white blood cell production or if it is also a produced response from use of THC taken orally.

I have a few older cancer suffering friends that have heard smoking marijuana will increase their chances of also catching covid19 because of the damage to the throat. This rumour has been supported by a medical study that relates increased white blood cell counts to reduced immunity due to existing or underlying health complications and places tabacco and marijuana together as equaly dangerous.

I can guess if it was me but I was hoping by asking here I might get a better answer from the 100.

When you have cancer and a pandemic is killing it's way across the nation, maybe it's not that realistic to think this is important but when all you do is consider your health all day everyday it becomes a bigger question.

Very true. I am really asking about oral use of marijuana.

I make edibles for a few cancer patients that were friends with my mother before she passed from cancer. They have found THC to be the only bright spot in their treatment. Most prefer smoking vs edibles because it arrives now. They have been informed that marijuana use (no caveat regarding method) will make them more likely to contact Covid19. Due to the underlying psychedelic effects of using marijuana as a edible they are hesitant to switch but thought edibles might be safer, until they were told otherwise by a half informed clinic staff member.

I'm hoping someone here can point me to real information that has experience and medical understanding behind it.

oral use of cannabis will be fine smoking it will make any cold/flu/virus more easy to catch and fuck your lungs up more.

Take a read on this thread. Some of it is semi relavent, some is irrelevant, and some is pretty specifically relevant to the current events.

If you have the time to read some of it, it could elucidate some answers to some of the inquerys that you may have.

And I'd be inclined to agree that smoking anything causes an immune response to damage. This would apply coequally to occupational hazards such as dust and VOC's etc. Framers and drywallers, carpenters, concrete mixologists etc. Inhaling anything but clean air is unlikely to produce favorable health outcomes, from recreational use or otherwise.

On the other hand, the ingestion of edibles might not be such a detriment. But I'm not educated enough to say for sure yet.

don't worry, worry is the worst,

keep social distance - wash hands with soap, and use a mask, which if you do not have you can make form an old tshirt -

if you cough too much call doctor

That mask will not help at all honestly. The N95 masks are so effective because they catch all particles/droplets down to a certain micron I believe, with an efficacy of 95%, thus the 95. Without being specificly designed to do that, it would at best only catch droplets from the person wearing it if they were infected. The proper masks must be fitted and not removed. Although there is some information going around that salt soaked masks kill the virus on contact, due to its thin protein barrier. A nurse friend of mine also has plans that are spreading around the nursing community to nit or sew a makeshift mask that does abide by cdc specifications. ill see if I cant dig it up.

Stay healthy everyone.

@Jopeth, It totally helps by enhancing and enabling effective social distance (not by filtration of virus during inhalation) -
THIS MEANS anyone wearing any mask like this will not be spewing forth their own mucous laden virus onto surfaces others may touch or air that others will inhale.

Bear in mind that we exhale and sputter virus on mucous or spittle, and that does not get through these simple masks, so I highly recommend them for flattening the curve. you can wash them with confidence too after a few uses, or sneezes.

2 weeks ago I was like you Jopeth, i.e. if it's not n-95 then it's not any good, then I realized, the spreading is mostly by people who do not know they have it, they deposit virus in their sprays and splatters microscopically and then some unwashed hand reaches for an exposed mouth or eye and bingo someone new is infected. Most infection is not by inhaling airborne virus.

Accordingly this mask saves everybody by slowing down spreading of virus, and since you are one of everybody this mask helps you quite a bit too even though it is not n-95.

I dont disagree pupnik...anything helps, and reducing the viral load we encounter is paramount. I just dont want anyone to get a false sense of security thinking they can walk though a cloud of germs lol That's why I mentioned salt crusting your mask, whatever kind it is, as many are finding salt destroys the protein membrane of the virus.

If there is one thing this pandemic causes humans to do, its be more aware of being around others, and how far personal hygiene can in preventing the spread of germs

I worry about the psychological effect this will have on children growing up during this. Gotta make sure its clean. gotta sanitize everything....

Cannabis doesn't inhibit the immune system per se. If smoked, what it does do is inhibit the cilia of the lungs from expelling material. People who smoke in general, whether cannabis or anything else, have a higher chance of lower respiratory infection if they do catch a virus. It's because the lungs become less efficient at expectoration, which means less removal of pathogenic debris, like phlegm.

People who smoke and ask me about covid19 risks, I encourage them to quit smoking for now or at least significantly cut back. Vaping should in theory help, but I don't know if that's foolproof either to be honest.

Danger-2020-Apr-3-800x170.png

How wrong am i to believe that cannabis once used to actually provide relief for asthma symptoms by promoting secretions mobility?...

That mask will not help at all honestly. The N95 masks are so effective because they catch all particles/droplets down to a certain micron I believe, with an efficacy of 95%, thus the 95. Without being specificly designed to do that, it would at best only catch droplets from the person wearing it if they were infected. The proper masks must be fitted and not removed. Although there is some information going around that salt soaked masks kill the virus on contact, due to its thin protein barrier. A nurse friend of mine also has plans that are spreading around the nursing community to nit or sew a makeshift mask that does abide by cdc specifications. ill see if I cant dig it up.

Stay healthy everyone.

just spray it with silver sol and you'll be better off than with an N95 mask. Or find some copper bed sheets and make a mask out of that (it's what I've done, works great)

As for me, I do not know how Cannabis can damage or influence my immune system but in this situation, it's better to smoke and forget about everything and about f...ing COVID. Also, I've read on such resources as Leafly and AskGrowers that strains are good for relaxing and good sleeping especially Ice Cream Cake Strain. So do not think about immune and just spend some hours on your thoughts and have a great sleep)

I was wrong above.
the mask really works because it prevents you from touching your face after unwashed hands touch any contaminated surface....

this longer video explains it in precise detail by a leading physician working with COVID daily

dr. david Price of Cornel Medical center

I made a mask from a sleeve of a long tshirt and one stich!
I look like a horse thief but it works, I don't touch my face or spew any germs

Danger-2020-Apr-3-800x170.png

How wrong am i to believe that cannabis once used to actually provide relief for asthma symptoms by promoting secretions mobility?...

In Manitoba it’s 6 feet for Covid, 8 metres for weed smoke/vape for medical users.

Tom

For some flus you are going to want to quit smoking. Depends on your system, know your body.

Itll be ok.

I'm interested how much is related to smoking weed with and without tobacco? I smoke bongs and I'm so much healthier than when I smoke tobacco.