• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis near death experience

Two things, diet, and investigate your issues through whatever methods you can use. Diet will help with the PTSD, anxiety etc. on the physical level, and sorting out any issues will give you deep inner peace.
Official medical practice loves to belittle these kind of experiences, totally dismiss them if it can, but there is some movement towards actually using psychedlics as treatment, I don't know if it will ever be officially endorsed though. For the medical industry, there's no money to be made out of healthy people, therefore there is no money in long term cures for anything.

For now, increase your protein intake significantly, but not dairy, dairy is dodgy for a lot more reasons and for far more people than is officially recognised. Beef is very slow to digest, so chicken, fish, and ironically, whey protein, are good.
For therapy, anything will do, even just talking on here to people that have had similar experiences will help reduce your stress. I have ADHD, so I am absolute rubbish at proper meditation, but as a teenager, I discovered that I have very good visualisation abilities with seems to amount to much the same thing, it certainly involves a different level of consciousness. I'm very into dream interpretation as, done properly, it provides a window on the psyche, requires no drugs or equipment, and is effective for everyone regardless of beliefs.
Oh, and sleep! Get as much as you can, and if you have problems with sleep, diet can help with that too. So can meditation or visualisation etc. It all ties in together in spirals, e.g. your body needs protein to repair damage and replace used up neurotransmitters, so we need more when we're hurt, exercise vigorously or are emotionally stressed. Not getting enough makes us even more stressed and depressed, Once you have broken the downward trend and recovered, you naturally don't need so much any more.
Thank you
Your words make sense

How do I treat it if I don't have access to a psychiatrist. Is there a way of recovering from this existential crisis without someone else?
I'm kinda in an existensial crisis too, lol, I don't know exactly. Anxiety sets it off, so recognizing what triggers it and when it's happening should be the first step, drugs are probably going to be a trigger, I agree on not ever doing weed again, but try to stay clear of anything even mildy stimulating and anxiety inducing as well, like caffeine or vaping/smoking, cut down on those things too. I don't think psychedelics will be beneficial in your situation considering your trauma relates to them, perhaps one day as a form of exposure therapy, but under strict supervision, I'd not even think about it now if I were you. Definitely start with the meditation as others have suggested, I keep trying myself as well, breathing techniques when you feel it coming on is another one.

Talking about it is the most therapeutic, there's not much else what psychiatrists and psychologists do anyways. Yeah they're trained in the field and might prescribe you something that could help, they're better at diagnosing people than we are, by far, I'm only suggesting what I think it is based on my limited time reading the dsm-v trying to figure out what I had years ago. I only fleetingly looked at all the terminology a while back to refamiliarize myself, but I'm clearly not the best person to definitively say what you do or don't have based on just these couple of posts. Don't get scared because I said you might have something you don't even end up having, it's counterproductive to dwell on it and totally not my intention, blame me if that happens. Hell, I'm on a waiting list myself, I just don't think such a reaction is normal from weed only if you're having this much trouble with it 4 years later, PTSD and anxiety do not exactly sound like a gift or a spiritual awakening, suspecting it might be laced with something like dmt isn't weird at all considering the severity of the experience, but no idea.

I don't think fear of death is irrational by the way, nor is questioning what is right or wrong, or religion, I might be completely out of touch with reality as well, so what do I know?

Ok now there's two of you I guess I should bite the bullet and put my own experiences out there in public, I'd really rather not tho tbh.
But, no, I've changed my mind again. Suffice it to say that none of you need to mess about with anything dodgier than what you get in your local supermarket, i.e. diet.
Hmm, just what am I ok with saying in public? And how can I pick the important bits of over 50 years and squeeze them into a couple of paragraphs?
Ok, here goes: About 25 years ago, I had some 'experiences' (no drugs involved) that, after they fizzled to nothing about a year later, I rationalised as some sort of stress induced psychosis, and a lot of crazy coincidences. As my depression also returned worse than before, I went to the doctors. Biggest mistake of my life bar none. None of the drugs did any good without an even worse downside. So for the next 20 years I suffered addiction and withdrawal, increased anxiety, including panic attacks, palpitations and tremors, increased intolerance of stress, to the point of getting PTSD, damn that was bad. Also suicidal thoughts, oh yes, you know life is bad when suicide is your ace up the sleeve way out! And finally increasing brain fog that everyone (including me) put down to aging. Oh and terrible insomnia, and daytime fatigue.
About 5 years ago having been on the same meds for some years, I had a change of doctor, and managed to get her to prescribe me the one that had actually worked until I developed tolerance to it (about two weeks). I figured that I'd take it for a few days only, it would give me a boost so that I could start clearing my house a bit so that I could hopefully start feeling good about getting something done, and so dig myself out of the hole I was in. So I started taking them, but nothing happened. So I realised that the drug I had been on for years had changed my brain chemistry. As I was getting no net benefit from either of them I ditched them both.
About a year later, I realised that the brain fog was lifting, so not due to age at all. I started being able to read more than a line or two at a time, and started researching properly. Something 'clicked' somewhere in the next few months that led me to realising I had ADHD, and that led to a whole lot of other discoveries, most notably that diet has an incredible effect on the nervous system, and that it was a change of country about 27 years ago that precipitated dietary changes that caused the depression in the first place.
Almost exactly a year ago, strange things started happening again, which again lifted my depression, but gave me this weird sense of life being pointless, but my Mum needs me, so although I don't care about living/dieing I have not jumped off a cliff.

Running parallel to this, is a spiritual explanation for everything, but that is deeply personal, so I will only give you this rather cryptic advice: Whatever spirit is, it will do you no harm to accept it.
I've also done a lot of dream analysis. One part of the weirdness is that my using cannabis was prompted by a dream*. I have temporarily given up on it, as the smell of it now makes me nauseous, also, I doubt that I have anything more to gain from it. CBD oil is legal, and helps with the last remnants of depression, and also helps with my knee pain!
My life is now well on track, I've nearly finished revamping and decorating the kitchen, I'm happy, and have energy levels appropriate for my age. **** doctors!

*It's very dodgy to take anything in dreams at it's face value, it's extremely exceptional for a dream to be anything other than a metaphor for the status quo.

Could the extreme nature of the experience be not because of the effect of too much weed on my mind but the smoke in my body has blocked oxygen supply to the brain and caused a NDE?
No. That's just not physically possible. It's clear you have underlying mental health issues that need working out that, as others have suggested, a psychologist may be able to help you work through.

Also, not to make light of your experience or be facetious, I think calling it a NDE is a bit much. I had a NDE in a car accident at 100mph once that left me with PTSD. THAT was a NDE.

Also, existential crisis happen to most everyone at some point in life. Sometimes it's on drugs, sometimes you're a middle age man who leaves his wife for a 20 year old and gets a sports car, sometimes you're a college student who can't figure out what to do after graduation. Life is all about figuring out why you exist. Only you can define that.

Interestingly enough I have always had issues regulating my diet. I've had eating disorders and last year (25 years old) diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. I do think food is used as a crutch for unpleasant feelings. I'm currently addicted to chocolate and sweet treats. I cant be without them or I'm stressed out.
If I could sort my life/ addiction out it would be interesting to see a change in my nervous system. My teeth are rotting out of my head at this rate and no amount of brushing can withstand the sugar attack. Because of my obsessional nature due to autism I flew to Mexico (from uk) 5 years to have my stomach stapled because I couldn't mentally control my eating/ craving. This i deeply regret. I guess I have a job on my hand finding balance and mental peace when it comes to food.
I don't take drugs and don't drink alcohol but this is my addiction and it could be one of the main things keeping these fears fuelled. I need to mentally get over relying on these food every day then I will know truly what mental health issues are there and what are just sugar fuelled anxiety.
Thanks for all your honest replies

Thank you for all replies. I'm in the process of getting psychological assistance but waiting lists are so long where I'm at and I can't afford to go private.
Could the extreme nature of the experience be not because of the effect of too much weed on my mind but the smoke in my body has blocked oxygen supply to the brain and caused a NDE?

no, lack of oxygen (hypoxia) would result in losing consciousness with retrograde amnesia, not a hallucinogenic trip. If it was possible for smoking weed to kill someone in such a way there would be millions of people dying per day.

The problem with hunger, is that when our bodies are lacking in some nutrient or other, they are good at telling us to eat, but useless at getting us to eat the right things. The trick is to only eat foods with high ratio of nutrients to calories, so chuck out the empty and near empty ones like bread.
After years of yo-yo dieting, I figured out what foods I could safely cut out, and gradually cut down on the rest until I started losing weight. I managed to keep it up at that level for a few months, and lost 2st. Then life got a bit busy, and I got complacent. Roll on about two years, and I have gradually wobbled 5lb back on. I need to get determined and cut out paleo bars!
Are you anywhere near Essex?

I'm on the spectrum too, sounds familiar. Getting rid of sugar in your diet is incredibly hard, for everyone who's gotten used to it, but for us autists it's a whole other thing. I'm a picky eater as well, chocolate is high up on the comfort food list, I haven't been able to completely eradicate it out of my diet either, it's simply too hard to resist when you're depressed and want to feel good.

Just take small steps, switching it around all at once is going to backfire, you'll reach for the sweets in no-time. Took me a while to switch from cola back to water, it just didn't feel refreshing, had to go to a lower calorie soft drink first before going to watered down lemonade to just plain water. I'll refuse to drink it again now, way too sweet, still have the occasional soft drink, but I prefer milk, it's got what autists crave, more than just electrolytes.

Eating way too many sweets means you're not getting in all the essential nutrients each day either (as I was writing this woodburner basically said the same thing already, lol), bet you're low on magnesium and zinc, 2 elements that you need to stave off intense sugar cravings. Take multivitamins, better yet, find something nutritional that you like and can substitute for one of the sweet foods you usually eat. Something hearty like even a small bag of chips is still better for your teeth than a bar of milk chocolate for example. Start counting calories, start cooking for yourself, ask for guidance and help from your parents/friends/partner, because it's hard to make such a radical lifestyle change all on your own.

I still don't think that it's the source of all your anxiety and stress though, sure it plays a big part in why you get stressed out more easily, but it's not the culprit of your reoccuring dissasociation of reality, that's rooted in that traumatic experience most likely.

I think I may have put you on the wrong track by talking about diet. While I do have some experience at what works and what doesn't for losing weight, the more important aspect of eating more nutrition rich food is the effect it has on your mental state. Also, when I say, work on your issues, I don't mean weight, I mean things like you mention in the last paragraph of your first post, and your attitudes to those things.
The thing with psychedelics is that they bring your subconscious feelings to the surface, so things like selfconsciousness, manifests as thinking people are watching you from darkened doorways. They also bring spititual issues to the surface, which is where your fear of death comes from. Deal with those, and your fear of death will evaporate. The first step is simply acknowledgeing that you have anxiety about right and wrong, that you do hate 'whatever', and that you are unclear about religion and reality and whatever else.

There's a myth that weed tends to be psyhedelic. Not as much as psilocybin ''DNA'' goes but still it has some weird effect in some rare cases, this is a rare case. I think your anxiety triggered this negative river rush, maybe some settings issues? Still, sane, dealers in the true meaning of the word, would not allow this kind of mistake, they would go on minus and they don't want that. So I don't think it was laced with anything. What you have it's psychosis. It's well known that green *CBD* it's very efficient in some cases like > Alzheimer's/Dementia diseases. Try to eat healthy, if you have underlying mental issues please go and see a doctor.

Same thing happened to me with weed. I was 14 and had a bad experience. Forever thought the world was ending afterwards. Panic attacks. PTSD, the whole shebang.

I think I may have put you on the wrong track by talking about diet. While I do have some experience at what works and what doesn't for losing weight, the more important aspect of eating more nutrition rich food is the effect it has on your mental state. Also, when I say, work on your issues, I don't mean weight, I mean things like you mention in the last paragraph of your first post, and your attitudes to those things.

lol, ok, I might be constantly misinterpreting a lot of things because I can get hung up on perspective, but I think you are misunderstanding me too. I was simply relaying my own experience with cutting out certain unhealthy foods/drinks as well. If that whole first paragraph was directed at me, I am not trying to lose weight, tbh I could use some. :p

You do realize I'm not op right? Even though I'm autistic and have some diet problems, I like psychedelics and am not experiencing anything of the sorts she's been describing (apart from stress and anxiety, pretty universal), the only dissociation I felt lately was the dxm and 2-fdck I took these last couple of weeks. Fear of death is natural, no problem with it myself. Reality sucks and religion and spirituality are not for me, fascinating, but it'd be hard to change my view of either. I'm in agreement with the rest you said, let's just keep it at that to avoid further confusion. ;)

So I don't think it was laced with anything. What you have it's psychosis

I don't think it was laced either, and psychosis, that was my first reaction as well, but it probably isn't, it sounds like a dissociated/derealization state. From the article I linked on the previous page:
Rather than a direct phar-macologic effect, persistent symptoms have been thought to be associated with causal attributions and fears regarding an episode of dissociation

But again, this is just my opinion.

@Blowmonkey , I was really talking to the OP, though my advice to anyone with ASD or ADHD and problems with stress, fatigue or sleep issues is to increase protein intake and cut out dairy (and gluten). Seemingly general advice for everyone by lots of doctors in the US these days, but I have enough trouble trying to persuade dear friends with the above problems to try it, that I don't bother with folks who haven't got problems that will still resolve from diet alteration. e.g. if they have advanced rheumatism, I don't tell them the probable cause.

As for "psychosis": one mans religious/spiritual/psychedelic vision is another man's psychosis. I think I should make that my sig. (If I can figure out how to! :D )

I do agree I have some type of psychosis
Drug induced psychosis
Disassociation/ depersonalization and derealization. All are mental health issues stemming from trauma and drug use. I used lots of psychedelic over the past few years and to my horror they messed with my sense of reality. They took my security blanket away, before hand I took reality and reasoning about the world for granted. Now it's all gone and I've been on a journey to understand myself and the meaning life ever since.

Sorry to make light work of your post, I hope to renew the post for general discussion but it either sounds like you got laced, or may have potentially underlying issues. Honestly if you can talk to a psychologist about this experience, that’s the best place. Cause for harm reduction, id hate to give you the impression this could be a one time thing
What the Hells a "bucket"?

It was a mop bucket filled with water. A 2 litre coke bottle with the lid of and bottom cut away resting in the water. A filter at the top for grass. The grass is lit and bottle pulled up. The vacuum created between top of bottle and water in mop bucket draws smoke in (lots of it). You remove the filter, put mouth over bottle and inhale as you move bottle down into water, forcing smoke out into your lungs.

I think a lot of it is due to different physiologies. Back in 1986-94, weed was definitely psychedelic for me, perhaps because of infrequent use. On the album 'Dark Side of the Moon' I could clearly see musical notes curling up, out of the speakers and floating away. Ex gf talking backwards to me. Words on a poster melting and dripping off the paper. There were a few other incidents, but nothing like what I've just listed. Weed still hits me very hard after 30+ years smoking. Tolerance seems to reset very quickly.

But then I rarely leave my house, so I'm free to get as messed up and paranoid as I want. It always goes away. And if things are too tough for me to 'tough it out' I'll take Clonazepam.

Tom