• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis and Anxiety/Paranoia

I think tolerance has a lot to do with it.

I used to be an all day every day smoker. It actually helped a lot with my anxiety. Then one time I had a really bad experience on edibles. I had a pretty high tolerance from smoking. Which I learned meant nothing when it came to edibles. ?‍♂️ 2 big ass cookies, a brownie, a couple pieces of fudge and some hard candies. None of which had a measured dosage. A couple hours later, I was higher than I had ever been in my life lol Which was fine at first. But I also had a completely unrelated health scare at the peak of this high that caused a full blown panic attack (my first ever) and eventually me passing out and going to the ER...

Every time I smoked after that, I started to feel the same anxiety I felt that night and I'd start panicking. So I decided to slow down on weed until I could figure out how to deal with my anxiety. That just caused me to lose my tolerance so every time I smoked, I felt wayyy too high. I guess I could have given up on weed all together, but it was always my favorite "drug." So I just kept at it until my tolerance went back up. Now I smoke and feel fine for the most part. I may experience minor anxiety/paranoia on higher doses, but I'm always able to relax and remind myself that I'll be fine.

I've also never been diagnosed with any kind of anxiety disorder if that matters. I do experience anxiety sometimes, but it's usually situational and not a constant struggle. But there's also the possibility that maybe weed just isn't for you ?‍♂️

@bicomp just curious whether you drink tea or coffee why use caffeine in any form?

I have been psychologically addicted to cannabis for decades it has been the only psychoactive substance I'm able to tolerate just about due to severe allergies and intolerances since 2005.

I have been psychologically dependent on cannabis but unable to tolerate any other drug that I've tried to date even tea and coffee I have an adverse reaction to.

I have a black cup of tea occasionally just to make a change and what I have found is that at my incredibly severe anxiety disorder which is both helped and harmed by my cannabis usage, on days when I am prone to higher anxiety I have found that combining tea or coffee or caffeine powder with cannabis vaporization can actually greatly spike my anxiety and induce a real panic attack especially if there is something really troubling me like an acute health condition.

So I just wondered if you are a tea or coffee drinker, it could be that the caffeine is disposing you to a higher level of anxiety and panic reaction from the cannabis.

Or if you use any energy drinks or caffeine supplement.

I used to smoke a lot till I got my first panic attack after a few days of partying (bare minimum essentials like food, sleep, ...) with stupid amounts of MDMA, MDA, cocaine, alcohol and weed. It was just like a heart attack and I accepted that it was the end for me after which the attack slowly stopped.

After this ordeal, drugs other than opiates, benzos and IV cocaine (railing it gave me panic attacks but ridiculously shooting it didn't) caused me to have very bad anxiety and panic attacks.

Weed, along with LSD, became the scariest substance for me. I couldn't handle it at all. I'm a stubborn person so I kept on trying but I always used Indica strain. I used to roll a joint and take only one puff then put it down, I was very slow with it. This way I didn't get a sudden rush and knowing that what I experienced wasn't a heart attack, I started being able to control the fear of sudden death that I got evet time I felt tightness or pain around my chest.

I was never able to take a whole 6 feet bong hit at once again but I was still able to enjoy weed which I was ok with. Basicly, I advise to stay away from Sativas and take it quite slow. Good luck.

My favorite smoke is a hash made from the strain "blue dream". Very relaxing in my opinion, almost a pure body stone. It's probably a good choice for those who are prone to anxiety from smoking weed. I try and smoke only pure indicas or hybrids that are heavily favored in indica.

High CBD content is better if looking to relieve anxiety but nothing will beat a good BZD.

If I'm having anxiety attacks the last thing I reach for is my weed stash. First is etizolam, if that fails xanax, if that fails, valium, then opioids. Then booze. THEN weed lol

Weed is a good trigger of paranoia/anxiety, depend on your condition and what emotion are stored in your body. Many post talk about this or this substance who trigger paranoia or anxiety, it is just a trigger to something deeper, usually where we fear of looking in

Just dropping in to say that I have the most unbearably severe anxiety disorder currently, actually due to multiple chronic long-term health conditions and many other factors.

I'm in the process of learning to deal with it but it's extremely difficult due to such precarious and challenging living situations and overall condition.

I do use cannabis to cope with my long-term illness it has been the only psychoactive substance I have been able to tolerate since 2005. I would go spare without it but it works both for me and against me and it can greatly exacerbate my anxiety at times although at other times it can help to stabilize it.

However one thing I really never suffer with and have not since I can remember is paranoia.
I guess part of that is the fact that I have always been very solidly and firmly set in my own mind and personality and true being.

But this is the point I came to make- I recently read an emphatic account of how black pepper completely stops the paranoia that comes with cannabis for some.

I use black pepper in combination with my cannabis edibles to enhance the effects because it slows down the degradation of the cannabinoids inside the receptors.

Apart from set and setting, the strain of cannabis, last use, tolerance and your cocktail of other admixture drugs all generate unique experiences. Even measly old caffeine can turn an otherwise enjoyable stone into an ugly paranoid headspace.
I find it depends on the strain, an indica strain such as a kush or cheese helps with my anxiety and allows me to easily relax however a sativa strain will make me 10x worse. I recommend going to talk to a therapist https://dr-weedy.com/medical-marijuana-card-sacramento/ instead of self medicating until you know he reason why you are anxious. Understanding your anxiety first will help you remove triggers and avoid situations that cause anxiety to overwhelm you. Adjunct therapies can also be prescribed from that point.

Last edited:
Eat it!! You don't need loads it activates loads more cannabinoids. You can make butter out of a gram and it lasts like ten hours