• Psychedelic Medicine

CANCER | +80 articles

inflammation-alzheimers-nueroscineews-390x390.jpg

CBD shows promise in fighting an aggressive form of brain cancer

by Experimental Biology | Neuroscience News | 27 April 2020

Cannabidiol (CBD) appears to slow the growth of glioblastoma brain cancer cells in both animal and human cell lines. CBD’s anti-cancer actions target mitochondria, causing them to dysfunction and release harmful reactive oxygen species. Cancer cells treated with CBD exhibited significant decreases in mitochondrial activity.

Findings from a new study examining human and canine brain cancer cells suggest that cannabidiol could be a useful therapy for a difficult-to-treat brain cancer. Cannabidiol, or CBD, is a non-psychoactive chemical compound derived from marijuana.

The study looked at glioblastoma, an often-deadly form of brain cancer that grows and spreads very quickly. Even with major advancements in treatment, survival rates for this cancer have not improved significantly.

“Further research and treatment options are urgently needed for patients afflicted by brain cancer,” said Chase Gross, a student in the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine/Master of Science program at Colorado State University. “Our work shows that CBD has the potential to provide an effective, synergistic glioblastoma therapy option and that it should continue to be vigorously studied.”

Mr. Gross was scheduled to present this research at the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics annual meeting in San Diego this month. Though the meeting, to be held in conjunction with the 2020 Experimental Biology conference, was canceled in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, the research team’s abstract was published in this month’s issue of The FASEB Journal.

Mr. Gross and colleagues examined human and canine glioblastoma cells because the cancer shows striking similarities between the two species. They tested the effects of CBD isolate, which contains 100 percent CBD, and CBD extract, which contains small amounts of other natural occurring compounds such as cannabigerol and tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC.

“Our experiments showed that CBD slows cancer cell growth and is toxic to both canine and human glioblastoma cell lines,” said Mr. Gross. “Importantly, the differences in anti-cancer affects between CBD isolate and extract appear to be negligible.”

The new work revealed that the toxic effects of CBD are mediated through the cell’s natural pathway for apoptosis, a form of programmed cell death. The researchers also observed that CBD-induced cell death was characterized by large, swollen intracellular vesicles before the membrane begins to bulge and breakdown. This was true for all the cell lines studied.

The researchers believe that CBD’s anti-cancer actions target mitochondria–the cell’s energy producing structures–by causing the mitochondria to dysfunction and release harmful reactive oxygen species. Their experiments showed that cells treated with CBD exhibited significant decreases in mitochondrial activity.

“CBD has been zealously studied in cells for its anticancer properties over the last decade,” said Mr. Gross. “Our study helps complete the in vitro puzzle, allowing us to move forward in studying CBD’s effects on glioblastoma in a clinical setting using live animal models. This could lead to new treatments that would help both people and dogs that have this very serious cancer.”

Last edited:
vitaminc.png

Ball-and-stick model of the L-ascorbic acid (vitamin C) molecule,
C6H8O6, as found in the crystal structure.

Fasting + vitamin C effective for hard-to-treat cancers

by University of Southern California | Medical Xpress | 12 May 2020

Scientists from USC and the IFOM Cancer Institute in Milan have found that a fasting-mimicking diet could be more effective at treating some types of cancer when combined with vitamin C.

In studies on mice, researchers found that the combination delayed tumor progression in multiple mouse models of colorectal cancer; in some mice, it caused disease regression. The results were published in the journal Nature Communications.

"For the first time, we have demonstrated how a completely non-toxic intervention can effectively treat an aggressive cancer," said Valter Longo, the study senior author and the director of the USC Longevity Institute at the USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology and professor of biological sciences at the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences. "We have taken two treatments that are studied extensively as interventions to delay aging— a fasting-mimicking diet and vitamin C—and combined them as a powerful treatment for cancer."

The researchers said that while fasting remains a challenging option for cancer patients, a safer, more feasible option is a low-calorie, plant-based diet that causes cells to respond as if the body were fasting. Their findings suggest that a low-toxicity treatment of fasting-mimicking diet plus vitamin C has the potential to replace more toxic treatments.

Results of prior research on the cancer-fighting potential of vitamin C have been mixed. Recent studies, though, are beginning to show some efficacy, especially in combination with chemotherapy. In this new study, the research team wanted to find out whether a fasting-mimicking diet could enhance the high-dose vitamin C tumor-fighting action by creating an environment that would be unsustainable for cancer cells but still safe for normal cells.

"Our first in vitro experiment showed remarkable effects," said Longo. "When used alone, fasting-mimicking diet or vitamin C alone reduced cancer cell growth and caused a minor increase in cancer cell death. But when used together, they had a dramatic effect, killing almost all cancerous cells."

Longo and his colleagues detected this strong effect only in cancer cells that had a mutation that is regarded as one of the most challenging targets in cancer research. These mutations in the KRAS gene signal the body is resisting most cancer-fighting treatments, and they reduce a patient's survival rate. KRAS mutations occur in approximately a quarter of all human cancers and are estimated to occur in up to half of all colorectal cancers.

The study also provided clues about why previous studies of vitamin C as a potential anticancer therapy showed limited efficacy. By itself, a vitamin C treatment appears to trigger the KRAS-mutated cells to protect cancer cells by increasing levels of ferritin, a protein that binds iron. But by reducing levels of ferritin, the scientists managed to increase vitamin C's toxicity for the cancer cells. Amid this finding, the scientists also discovered that colorectal cancer patients with high levels of the iron-binding protein have a lower chance of survival.

"In this study, we observed how fasting-mimicking diet cycles are able to increase the effect of pharmacological doses of vitamin C against KRAS-mutated cancers," said Maira Di Tano, a study co-author at the IFOM, FIRC Institute of Molecular Oncology in Milan, Italy. "This occurs through the regulation of the levels of iron and of the molecular mechanisms involved in oxidative stress. The results particularly pointed to a gene that regulates iron levels: heme-oxygenase-1."

The research team's prior studies showed that fasting and a fasting-mimicking diet slow cancer's progression and make chemotherapy more effective in tumor cells, while protecting normal cells from chemotherapy-associated side effects. The combination enhances the immune system's anti-tumor response in breast cancer and melanoma mouse models.

The scientists believe cancer will eventually be treated with low-toxicity drugs in a manner similar to how antibiotics are used to treat infections that kill particular bacteria, but which can be substituted by other drugs if the first is not effective.

To move toward that goal, they say they needed to first test two hypotheses: that their non-toxic combination interventions would work in mice, and that it would look promising for human clinical trials. In this new study, they said that they've demonstrated both. At least five clinical trials, including one at USC on breast cancer and prostate cancer patients, are now investigating the effects of the fasting-mimicking diets in combination with different cancer-fighting drugs.​

Last edited:
Fotolia_233087215_Subscription_Monthly_M-1068x712.jpg

Cannabinoid-based medicines and the treatment of cancer

by Guy Chamberland, M.Sc., Ph.D | OncoZine | 8 June 2020

Mankind has long known about the therapeutic benefits of cannabis, but that is hardly enough to support the incorporation of cannabinoid-based medicines into the health care system.

For thousands of years, people have claimed that smoking cannabis relieves pain. When a belief endures for this length of time based on anecdotal information it deserves a deeper dive. The challenge I signed up for when I took the helm at Tetra Bio-Pharma, was to prove this scientifically with a pharmaceutical pathway that underscores our mission and values.

Chronic pain

Cannabinoids may be useful in treating chronic pain, reducing opioid use, and helping relieve pain and suffering where traditional pharmaceuticals or alternative therapies have failed. In that case, they could become a game-changer in how we deal with pain. But I am not alone in wanting proof. For several years now, the uptake of cannabis for medical use has been limited because of the absence of scientific data that conforms to the rigorous standards required by regulators, medical associations, and payers.

I saw the end solution to be simple, the road to getting there, not so much.

I became convinced that the only way that cannabinoid therapeutics would be incorporated into the traditional healthcare system was by following a classic drug development program. Discovering how inhaled cannabis works and learning the pharmacokinetics of how pain-relieving chemicals are delivered to the central nervous system, was key to the research we do at Tetra. Fast forward and we are currently investigating CAUMZ™, a cannabinoid-derived medicine that uses synthetic THC and CBD delivered to patients using an inhaler called the Mighty Medic, a medical device created by Storz & Bickell, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Canopy Growth. The device is currently approved for use in Canada and is under review by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as part of the approval process for CAUMZ™.

CAUMZ™ is being investigated for two indications. Our Phase II/III clinical trial called SERENITY© will study CAUMZ™ as a treatment to improve physical functioning and for modulating cachexia progression in patients with advanced cancer. Cancer cachexia remains an unmet medical need even though an estimated 50-80% of cancer patients suffer from it.

Finding evidence beyond anecdotal reports

Despite the anecdotical reports of patients and physicians claiming that cannabis was helpful to manage the constellation of associated symptoms such as loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and pain as of today, there are only a limited number of studies conducted on the condition, and to assess cannabinoids to manage the symptoms. CAUMZ™ dosage and route of administration increase the bioavailability of the drug, signifying an advantage over other cannabinoids and cannabis extracts.

A further Phase II trial called REBORN© is a head to head study investigating the efficacy of CAUMZ™ versus immediate-release oral opioids to measure pain intensity and the onset of action for breakthrough pain in cancer patients. For individuals suffering from debilitating pain, the faster they can achieve relief the better, so if successful, this research may offer an improved quality of life for these patients and reduce their opioid consumption. We are optimistic that CAUMZ is qualified for several FDA regulatory pathways that would see the time needed to have the drug approved and to market considerably reduced.

Another of Tetra’s cannabinoid-derived drugs undergoing Phase II clinical trial in the United States is QIXLEEF™, an inhaled medicine that is being tested for the treatment of uncontrolled pain in advanced cancer patients. Unlike CAUMZ™ which is based on a synthetic cannabinoid, QIXLEEF™ is a botanical product that uses dried flower buds. A Letter of Advice and Type B meeting with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) added important information that will evaluate the drugs’ impact on advanced cancer patients with uncontrolled pain. Based on a successful outcome, Tetra would be able to commercialize the world’s very first dried flower botanical cannabinoid drug product for the treatment of uncontrolled pain in patients with advanced cancer.

Orphan drug designation

Tetra has also received FDA Orphan Drug Designation for THC in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), also known as primary liver cancer, is the most common form of liver cancer and is responsible for 80 percent of the primary malignant liver tumors in adults. It is the second most frequent cause of cancer-related death globally. Tetra intends to leverage the pharmacokinetic and safety data from the CAUMZ Phase I clinical trial to support its Phase II trial of a modified formulation of CAUMZ, under the name HCC 011.

The phase II trial will investigate the efficacy of HCC011, administered in combination with the first line-therapy sorafenib, to improve control disease in inoperable, advanced hepatocellular carcinoma patients. One of the next steps will be a Type B meeting with the FDA to discuss the HCC011 proposed clinical program and overall premarketing requirements.

Legitimacy of cannabinoids

Proving the legitimacy of cannabinoids for inclusion into the healthcare system is closer than ever and will lead to greater access for patients based on unequivocal trust. Those in the biopharmaceutical industry know that drug discovery and development is a long game.

They know the difference between medical cannabis and cannabinoid-derived medicine. While the race is on to commercialize cannabinoid-derived drugs for unmet medical needs I see more than enough reason to exercise care and caution to get the job done, not the least of which is putting patients first.​

Then, and only then will the maximum benefit of cannabinoids reach their full potential.

Last edited:
1a_GettyImages-910481044-1-e1541689154103.jpg

My beloved wife was suffering from breast cancer and the doctor told me that there was nothing he could do to save her. Then a friend told me that hemp oil can cure cancer. I told him that my wife’s breast cancer was in the last stage and I didn't think the hemp oil would cure it, but he persuaded me to try it. So I did some research and I found a doctor who helped me with the cannabis oil, and he assured me that after 4 months the cancer would be gone. I bought it, she used it, and it worked exactly as he said it would. Thanks to the doctor for taking away the sorrow in my life. Can you imagine, that I and my wife have a 6 year-old daughter and a 3 year-old son? What would I have done?

-anon

---

The real answer is whole plant medicine. Just CBD is good, don't get me wrong. But the best way to get pain relief is the mix the whole plant brings. When I was diagnosed with cancer I started a CBD regimen. But I didn't notice anything till I went to RSO (Rick Simpson oil). I was able to get away with no opiate-based meds for pain. And my recovery was impressive - I have zero cancer now. So far so good. Whole plant medicine - that's the key.

-Nathaniel Smith

-----

As for the actual efficacy of CBD in the treatment of advanced cancer...this is groundbreaking. I know of anecdotal reports of patients so weakened from cancer that they had stopped eating and taking fluids and have had 100% so-called miracle shrinkage and complete remission of Stage 4b tumors. Supplemental antioxidants and other nutrients are probably critical to full effectiveness. Cannabinoids are a radically new approach to cancer treatment---they don't seem to kill or destroy the cells directly--BUT CANNABIS SEEMS TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO INDUCE APOPTOSIS (normal, programmed cell death and replacement) in cancer cells in the body.

Almost all the evidence for anti-cancer effectiveness has been with High THC/Full Spectrum concentrates. CBD by itself seems to be effective for certain symptoms (anxiety, depression, chronic pain) but not very effective for others (acute pain, nausea, lack of appetite). As for TREATMENT of cancer, high THC Rick Simpson Oil COMBINED WITH live resin or extract seems to be the most effective, but the quantities necessary will KNOCK THE SOCKS OFF anyone who does not already have an incredibly high tolerance to cannabis. Most need to literally start with a dose no larger than a single standard grain of rice. Then, over a period of a few weeks, you can slowly work your tolerance up to full dosage.

Rick Simpson recommends 60 grams in as short a time period as practical (generally 60 grams over about 90 days since the first month or so is spent in slowly building up tolerance). I am beginning to hear anecdotal reports of folks getting their dose up to 3 or 4 grams a day to "cure" cancer or AIDS. I personally can attest to taking about 80 grams over 45 days to treat my HIV and Chronic Hep B with excellent results. Again, cannabis seems to work best as an "ensemble" or "entourage" therapy, meaning, the synergistic effects of the combined cannabinoids and terpenoids in the plant are much greater than the effect of any single component including THC or CBD.

-Louis Byron​

Last edited:
ACC+.jpg

The Aquilino Cancer Center in Rockville, Maryland.

First clinical trial to test the safety and efficacy of psilocybin therapy for depression in cancer patients

Psilocybin Alpha | 22 Oct 2020

Maryland Oncology Hematology is conducting the first clinical trial to test the safety and efficacy of psilocybin therapy for the treatment of depression in cancer patients.

30 patients will be enrolled in the study over the course of six months, with each patient receiving one 25mg dose of synthesised psilocybin administered in tandem with psychotherapist support.

Participation is open to adults with malignant cancer and a diagnosis of major depressive disorder. They cannot be using medical cannabis, antipsychotics, or antidepressants at the time of screening for the study. We understand that the participant pool will be built from patients already seeking cancer care at Maryland Oncology Hematology’s Rockville location.

Each patient will be guided through their 6-8 hour psychedelic experience with one-to-one support, then followed for a minimum of 8 weeks to evaluate any changes in their mental health.

The study employs COMPASS Pathway’s COMP360 psilocybin therapy model, i.e. the co-administering of COMP360 (psilocybin) and 1:1 therapist support. COMPASS has provided support – both financially and in terms of training and advice – to the study.

The synthetic psilocybin itself is sourced from the United Kingdom, produced by Catalent Pharma Solutions.

The study is sponsored by Maryland Oncology Hematology, PA: an independent cancer physician practice based in the eponymous US state. The clinical trial will take place Aquilino Cancer Center at Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center, a partner of COMPASS Pathways.

Due to the importance of set and setting, the therapy will take place in a specially designed 2,700 square foot centre. COMPASS Pathways assisted with the design of this space, geared toward psilocybin therapy, at Maryland Oncology Hematology’s Rockville location.

Last edited:
shutterstock_1532118050.jpg

Psilocybin for the treatment of anxiety and depression in cancer patients

by Barbara Bauer, MS | Psychedelic Science Review | 17 Jun 2020

Psychedelic Science Review Editor Barb Bauer conducts a review of some landmark studies.

Stories about the therapeutic benefits of psychedelic drugs are becoming more frequent in the news. The magic mushroom compound psilocybin, for example, is showing promise for treating treatment-resistant depression. Leveraging what is known in this area of psychedelic science to the end-of-life challenges facing terminal cancer patients represents another opportunity to relieve suffering and improve the quality of life.

This article highlights four studies examining the effects of psilocybin (the pure compound, not the mushrooms) on depression and anxiety in cancer patients. Together they give an overview of the progress that has been made over the last decade.

Pilot study of psilocybin treatment for anxiety in patients with advanced-stage cancer

A research team lead by Dr. Charles Grob conducted a pilot study in 2011 to test the feasibility of using psilocybin for treating the reactive anxiety experienced by patients with advanced-stage cancer. The paper was published in the Archives of General Psychiatry. This study brought the idea of treating cancer patients with hallucinogens back into the research light after some 35 years of desolation.

Twelve patients participated in this double-blind study and served as their own controls by receiving a niacin placebo in one session and 0.2 mg/kg of psilocybin in another. After each 6-hour session, the participants discussed several aspects of their experience with filled out several rating questionnaires. They also completed a series of questionnaires and self-report inventories two weeks before the first session and at other intervals up to 6 months after the second session.

After the data were analyzed, the authors observed, “Safe physiological and psychological responses were documented during treatment sessions. There were no clinically significant adverse events with psilocybin. This study established the feasibility and safety of administering moderate doses of psilocybin to patients with advanced-stage cancer and anxiety.”

The study participants experienced a significant reduction in their anxiety at 1 and 3 months, and improvements in their mood became significant at 6 months. In contrast to previous studies using higher doses of psilocybin, the participants did not experience a reduction in pain. The authors called the 0.2 mg/kg dose of psilocybin used in their study “modest,” yet sufficient to provide some psychological relief.

Sustained symptom reduction following psilocybin treatment for anxiety and depression in patients with life-threatening cancer

This 2016 study by Ross et al. published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology was a double-blind and placebo-controlled crossover (at seven weeks) trial using 29 patients. All the participants suffered from cancer-related anxiety and depression. Each received one 0.3 mg/kg dose of psilocybin or placebo (niacin) in conjunction with psychotherapy.

The authors summarized the results as follows, “…psilocybin produced immediate, substantial, and sustained improvements in anxiety and depression and led to decreases in cancer-related demoralization and hopelessness, improved spiritual wellbeing, and increased quality of life.”

Further, at the 6.5-month follow-up, psilocybin had caused “enduring anxiolytic and antidepressant effects in 60-80% of the participants." They also experienced improvements in existential distress, quality of life, and their attitudes toward death. A key finding of the study was that “The psilocybin-induced mystical experience mediated the therapeutic effect of psilocybin on anxiety and depression.”

Psilocybin produces substantial and sustained decreases in depression and anxiety in patients with life-threatening cancer

In 2016, a research team including Roland Griffiths and Matthew Johnson of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine conducted a double-blind and placebo-controlled crossover study of 51 patients with a life-threatening cancer diagnosis and suffering from depression and anxiety. Their paper was published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology. The study used a very low placebo-like dose of 1 or 3 mg/70 kg of psilocybin versus a high dose of 22 or 30 mg/70 kg. The psilocybin doses were administered “in counterbalanced sequence with 5 weeks between sessions and a 6-month follow-up.” The moods, attitudes, and behaviors of the participants were rated throughout the study by the participants, staff, and community observers.

The data showed that the high doses of psilocybin “produced large decreases in clinician- and self-rated measures of depressed mood and anxiety, along with increases in quality of life, life meaning, and optimism, and decreases in death anxiety.”

Six months later, about 80% of the participants were still showing significant decreases in anxiety and depressed mood. The patients concluded that the high doses of psilocybin were responsible for these sustained improvements, as well as their improved attitude toward their life, themselves, their relationships, and their spirituality. Also, as the Ross et al. study observed, the psilocybin mystical experience was important to the positive therapeutic outcomes.

The authors of the study concluded, “The present study demonstrated the efficacy of a high dose of psilocybin administered under supportive conditions to decrease symptoms of depressed mood and anxiety, and to increase quality of life in patients with a life-threatening cancer diagnosis.”

Long-term follow-up of psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy for psychiatric and existential distress in patients with cancer

This 2020 paper by Agin-Liebes et al. in the Journal of Psychopharmacology presents an analysis of the long-term follow-up data for 15 of the 16 surviving patients from the 2016 Ross et al. study described above. On average, the data were gathered from the patients at 3.2 and 4.5 years after psilocybin administration.

Analysis of the data showed that 4.5 years after psilocybin, about 60-80% of the participants still had “clinically significant antidepressant or anxiolytic responses.” An overwhelming 71-100% said the positive changes in their lives were due to the psilocybin-assisted therapy experience. They rated it as one of “the most personally meaningful and spiritually significant experiences of their lives.”

The authors summarized, “…[the] results suggest that the treatment continues to be associated with reductions in anxiety, depression, hopelessness, demoralization, and death anxiety up to an average of 4.5 years following single psilocybin session in conjunction with psychotherapy.”

Summary

Healthcare professionals make every effort to relieve the mental and physical suffering of their patients. Using psilocybin to treat anxiety and depression in terminally ill cancer patients is showing promise as a safe and effective addition to traditional palliative care. Further research is needed to learn more about the psilocybin drugs to use and optimizing dosages to provide the best patient outcomes.

Last edited:
9.28-hemonc-photo-696x464.jpg

Psilocybin can have profound and enduring mental health benefits in cancer patients

by Nancy Meredith | mesotheliomahelp.org | 19 Dec 2016

Many Mesothelioma patients face a bleak prognosis, with survival often less than 18 months. They often become overwhelmed and depressed as they fight to improve their survival, but are forced to face their mortality at the same time. Now, researchers say the use of psilocybin may help improve a cancer patient’s outlook and can have “profound and enduring mental health benefits.”

The Journal of Psychopharmacology announced in an editorial of its special December issue that two of the “most rigorous controlled trials to date using the psychedelic drug psilocybin” found one “psychedelic experience” could bring significant relief to cancer patients suffering from anxiety and depression. In an overwhelmingly positive response to the studies by countless psychiatric organizations, the consensus is, “it’s time to take psychedelic treatments in psychiatry and oncology seriously, as we did in the 1950s and 1960s, which means we need to go back to the future,” according to the editorial by David Nutt, Imperial College London.

Researchers from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine conducted a trial in 51 cancer patients with life-threatening diagnoses and symptoms of depression and/or anxiety. They found that patients who received a “high-dose” of psilocybin had “large” drops in feelings of depression and anxiety as well in death anxiety. In addition, they saw an increase in their quality of life and optimism. Nearly 80% of the patients reported a “moderately or greater increased well-being/life satisfaction.”

CNN reports that one patient who was suffering from metastatic endometrial cancer participated in the Johns Hopkins trial. "After receiving a single dose of psilocybin during the study," she said, “it was kind of magic. As I took it, the cloud of doom seemed to just lift. From then on, I was fine.” The woman had seen little to no improvement in her depression when taking prescription anti-depressants prior to the trial.

Mesothelioma is an incurable cancer of the lining of the lungs, abdomen or heart caused by past exposure to asbestos. Nearly 3,000 Americans are diagnosed with the cancer each year. Research has shown that patients who focus on the power of the mind-body connection and choose to be optimistic and positive will realize a higher quality of life and may respond better to treatments. However, some patients need an effective medicine to lift their spirits when depression has taken hold.

In the second study led by the New York University School of Medicine, the team took a group of 29 patients with cancer-related anxiety and depression. After just a single-dose of psilocybin, the patients experienced “immediate, substantial, and sustained improvements in anxiety and depression,” as well an increase in their spiritual wellbeing and their quality of life. After 6.5 months, the patients had “sustained benefits in existential distress and quality of life, as well as improved attitudes towards death.”

Various studies have been conducted that show positive thinking results in the improvement in a patient’s health. Many physicians believe that when there is an improvement in a patient’s mood and outlook on the illness the patient can recover more quickly from surgery and other treatments. When feeling better emotionally, mesothelioma patients may see an improvement in their energy levels, mental acuity, sleep patterns and breathing even while undergoing treatments.

The results led researchers to conclude that, along with psychotherapy, psilocybin may be a quick, effective and lasting treatment for patients with cancer-related psychological distress.

It is important to note that these studies were conducted in medical settings and the treatment was highly controlled. More research needs to be conducted, and, according to the researchers, this type of treatment will more than likely always be given in a medical facility and not released to patients.

“Hopefully, the positive findings that they report will act to spur on other researchers in the field of psychopharmacology, particularly in relation to depression, anxiety and addiction,” said Nutt.

Last edited:
dt_200128_happy_senior_woman_beach_800x450.jpg

Psilocybin benefits in cancer sustained nearly 5 years later

by Nancy Melville | Medscape

Cancer patients who were treated with a one-time, single dose of the psychedelic drug psilocybin, combined with psychotherapy, showed significant benefits on measures of emotional and existential distress nearly 5 years after receiving the therapy, new research indicates.

In addition to reporting improved well-being or life satisfaction, patients rated the treatment as being "among the most personally meaningful and spiritually significant experiences of their lives," the authors note.

The study, the longest-spanning evaluation to date of the effects of psilocybin in the treatment of cancer-related psychiatric distress, was published online January 9 in the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

It follows up on patients who took part in a randomized placebo-controlled trial published in 2016, which was reported by Medscape Medical News at the time.

"The new findings of long-term benefit add to the emerging literature base suggesting that psilocybin-facilitated therapy may enhance the psychological, emotional, and spiritual well-being of patients with life-threatening cancer," the authors comment.

"This approach has the potential to produce a paradigm shift in the psychological and existential care of patients with cancer, especially those with terminal illness," added lead investigator Stephen Ross, MD, associate professor of psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry at NYU Langone Health, New York City, in a press statement.

"These findings have meaningful implications for the clinical management of cancer-related existential distress," the authors write.

Psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy could represent the first empirically driven pharmacotherapy intervention to treat such patients.

Within Western medicine, existential distress is underrecognized and undertreated in cancer patients, the authors note. Depression and hopelessness associated with a diagnosis of cancer can be severe stressors and are well-known risk factors for suicide.

"The potential rapidity and long-term durability of psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy's effects represents a promising protective strategy against suicides," the authors write.

Uniquely effective for depression in cancer patients?

Psilocybin, the active component in "magic mushrooms," has been studied as a treatment for various types of depression, but the drug appears uniquely effective for depression associated with cancer, said Matthew W. Johnson, PhD, from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, in Baltimore, Maryland.

An associate professor in the Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit, he was not involved in this study, but he has conducted his own research into the use of psilocybin among cancer patients.

"This treatment has a way of getting at the existential issues that are central to the psychological suffering that can come with cancer," Johnson told Medscape Medical News.

"That said, we and others are finding positive findings for depression outside of cancer," he continued.

"We don't have the research needed to confidently compare the populations, but my impression is that the effect size of depression reduction is going to be larger for cancer patients than those without cancer."

Johnson commented that the new findings reflect what he has observed among his patients. "My lab has been contacted informally by many of our 51 patients who were in our psilocybin cancer study, some who were treated well over 5 years ago, with claims that they were still seeing lasting reductions in depression and anxiety," he said.

"So it is valuable to have a formal evaluation such as this new publication."

"An important caveat with respect to his own research as well as the current study is that the studies were only double-blind until about a month before the crossover,"
Johnson noted.

"So while the new long-term descriptive results are valuable and suggestive, we cannot exclude the possibility that placebo and other expectancy effects are not at least partially driving results," he cautioned.

Although the results of the long-term study were not surprising to Johnson, he said they likely will be to many researchers.

"And it should be," he said. "Such results are a game changer for psychiatry, in my opinion."

Longest follow-up of psilocybin-treated cancer patients

The original study included 29 patients who were experiencing cancer-related psychiatric and existential distress. They received either a single dose of psilocybin (0.3 mg/kg) or a single dose of niacin (250 mg) in conjunction with nine psychotherapy sessions. The groups switched treatments after 7 weeks in the double-blind study.

The results showed that the patients who received psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy experienced improvements in psychiatric and existential distress, quality of life, and spiritual well-being.

At a follow-up visit held 6.5 months after the treatment, 60% to 80% of the patients continued to meet criteria for clinically significant antidepressant or anxiolytic responses.

There were no serious adverse effects related to the psilocybin-assisted therapy, and there were no reports of abuse or addiction to the drug.

The new study reports long-term benefits regarding 16 patients (of the original 29) who agreed to participate in two additional follow-up assessments at an average of 3.2 years and 4.5 years following the psilocybin treatment. One patient died from cancer-related causes after the first of the two long-term follow-up evaluations.

The mean age of the participants was 53 years at the first long-term follow-up; 60% were women.

The study showed sustained reductions (in comparison to baseline) in anxiety, depression, hopelessness, demoralization, and death anxiety at both long-term follow-ups, with large within-group effect sizes at both time points.

Specifically, at the second long-term follow-up of 4.5 years, more than half (57 percent) of the participants showed clinically significant responses on the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) for anxiety, and 71% reported significant reduction in global psychological distress on the HADS total score, which measures anxiety and depression.

In addition, clinical responses for depression on the HADS and the Beck Depression Inventory ranged from 57% to 79%.

Remission rates for symptoms of depression ranged from 50% to 79% at the 4.5-year follow-up.

Cancer remission status

Patients in this study had a variety of cancers, including gynecologic cancers (33 percent), breast cancers (20 percent), and lymphomas (20 percent). At the endpoint of the original study, 60% were diagnosed with early-stage (I–II) disease, and 53% were diagnosed later-stage (III–IV) disease.

Notably, at the second long-term follow-up, 71% of patients reported that their cancer had entered partial or complete remission.

"This is an important variable. However, we controlled for this and found that cancer remission status did not significantly interact with any of the changes in outcomes, [such as] anxiety, depression, existential distress, and so on," lead investigator Gabrielle Agin-Liebes, a PhD candidate at Palo Alto University, in California, told Medscape Medical News.

In addition, approximately half (53 percent) of participants reported that they had previously used a hallucinogen on one or more occasions, which Agin-Liebes said is higher than the national sample, in which the rate is only about 20%.

"What this means is unclear," she said. "Our sample may have been somewhat biased towards people who had tried a psychedelic before and may be a reflection that this type of person may be more open to trying this type of therapy," she explained.

"The key would be to recruit enough people who had never done a psychedelic in a bigger sample to more closely look at this issue, as a moderator of therapeutic outcomes," she commented.

Psilocybin may induce a "flexible brain state"

Psilocybin is a serotonergic hallucinogen that acts as a 5-hydroxytryptamine 2A receptor agonist. "Although the mechanisms behind its long-term effects in cancer-related depression are not well understood, a key theory involves an alteration in how the brain processes information and forms perceptions," Agin-Liebes noted.

"The most compelling and scientifically grounded theory relates to psilocybin's potential for inducing a flexible brain state, particularly people who experience more rigid brain states," she said.

"Psychedelics appear to relax the brain's biased patterns of information processing and beliefs and allow for more 'bottom-up' information to enter into one's consciousness," Agin-Liebes said, citing research that describes the theory.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Psilocybin found to treat certain cancers*

GlobalNewsWire | 18 Nov 2020

Revive Therapeutics, a specialty life sciences company focused on the research and development of therapeutics for medical needs and rare disorders, is pleased to announce it has entered into an exclusive research collaboration agreement with PharmaTher Inc., a specialty psychedelics pharmaceutical company, to accelerate the development of psilocybin in the treatment of cancer.

"Revive continues to be focused on developing novel uses for psilocybin that leverages our proprietary oral thin film delivery technology as a differentiated therapeutic approach," said Michael Frank, CEO of Revive. "We are excited to advance the development of PharmaTher’s recent discovery in the potential of psilocybin to treat certain cancers such as Liver Carcinoma, Melanoma, Breast Neoplasms, Kidney Neoplasms and Acute Myeloid Leukemia. We are also leveraging PharmaTher’s panaceAI™ discovery AI platform to discover new uses of undisclosed psychedelic compounds to be potentially used with our oral thin film delivery technology and expand our psychedelics drug pipeline."

"We are excited to partner with Revive Therapeutics on our psilocybin cancer program and our psychedelics discovery platform, panaceAI™, to unlock the potential of novel uses of psychedelic compounds in diseases that have sub-optimal or no treatment options,” said Fabio Chianelli, CEO of PharmaTher. “We recently achieved an important milestone in expanding our patent portfolio with the potential of psilocybin to treat certain cancer indications. Our research collaboration with Revive validates our business model in discovering novel uses of psychedelics with panaceAI™ and partnering these discoveries with life sciences companies seeking to expand their product pipeline with psychedelics. We are happy to accelerate Revive’s objective in building a unique psychedelic drug pipeline via the FDA development and approval process.”

The collaboration will give Revive the exclusivity to advance the research of psilocybin in the treatment of cancer and leverage PharmaTher’s panaceAI™ psychedelic discovery AI platform to screen, identify and evaluate undisclosed psychedelic compounds directed at pre-specified targets for use with Revive’s drug delivery technology.

*From the article here :

peyote.jpg

Former cancer patient finds deep healing in psilocybin trip

by Cindy Harnett | Times Colonist | 13 Dec 2020

Metchosin’s Mona Strelaeff took a psychedelic trip from deep distress to serenity last month using psilocybin.

“It opened up my spirituality and helped me to start facing things like death — that is the kind of healing I found,” said Strelaeff.

Psilocybin works on serotonin receptors of the brain to produce mind-altering psychedelic effects for several hours — a sense of euphoria and spirituality, hallucinations and a distorted sense of time. But it can have adverse effects such as nausea and panic.

Although it has not been legal to grow, possess or sell in Canada since 1974, this summer, Health Canada approved exemptions under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

Terminal patients were granted an exemption in August, followed by approval in November for Strelaeff, who was the first non-palliative patient.

On Tuesday, 17 therapists, including doctors, nurses and psychiatrists, received federal approval to try the drug.

Bruce Tobin, a clinical psychologist in Victoria and founder of TheraPsil, a non-profit coalition that advocates for access to psilocybin therapy, said the Canadian government has become a world leader in allowing patients access to psilocybin to treat end-of-life distress. “Health Canada now rightfully acknowledges that clinician experience with psychedelic medicines is an important part of their training.”

Strelaeff, 67, is a great grandmother who was born in Helsinki, Finland. She ran an accounting firm that her youngest daughter has since taken over. Life for her has been at once generous — “so much joy and happiness” — and cruel.

Strelaeff survived breast cancer with surgery, chemotherapy and radiation in 2002, but psychologically never got past a followup diagnosis that it was metastatic and terminal, which was later viewed as either a miraculous recovery or a misdiagnosis.

Her first year in remission, Strelaeff lived with the abundant gratitude of a survivor brought back from the brink of death. She volunteered for the B.C. Cancer Foundation for years.

But that elation plummeted.

Strelaeff took a “terrible journey,” treating her subsequent depression with alcohol when medications and therapy failed.

She recovered, but two years ago, her 46-year-old daughter — a university dean — was killed in a car crash and that brought back her original pain.

On Nov. 4, she had her first federally approved psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy session. In her home, she mixed a psilocybin concoction and drank it. After about 20 minutes, therapists blindfolded her to limit outside stimulation. While music played, she began to dive into her mind.

Strelaeff said she explored an even deeper pain from childhood, yet she emerged with a deeply satisfying sense of spirituality and peace.

“I just felt like the space was filled with everybody and we were all free and I was able to let go of my daughter because I know she was safe in that space, that was the spiritual experience that opened up the healing part of my journey.”

Spencer Hawkswell, CEO of TheraPsil, said therapists wanted access to psilocybin for training, so that they could have an altered state of consciousness and understand their patients’ experience.

In psycho-pharmacology, a doctor doesn’t need to take an anti-depressant to understand how it works, and if one day, doctors are allowed to prescribe it, they wouldn’t need to try psilocybin, said Hawkswell.

"But to use it in psychotherapy, like cognitive behavioural therapy or hypnotherapy, the therapist must become a master of it to understand how it works," said Hawkswell. “That’s just the way it’s done since Freud’s time.” The exception would be a psychotherapist experienced in other altered states of consciousness.

Hawkswell hopes Canada will one day follow the lead of Oregon, the first U.S. state to legalize psilocybin for therapeutic use.

“My hope is that Canada is moving in that same direction, that we’re finding options for people who are failing with normal treatments for depression or anxiety,” said Hawkswell.

For now, the inclusion criteria in the original application from TheraPsil to Health Canada was patients who are terminal or palliative, or in remission from a palliative condition.

Hawkswell said Strelaeff was the first non-palliative patient treated for distress and it was “hugely successful.”

"There is no plan, however, to expand the inclusion criteria to depression or post-traumatic stress disorder," said Hawkswell.

Strelaeff doesn’t expect she will use psilocybin again — “not for a very long time.”

She recently had a CT scan where a “small shadow” was seen on her lung. She went for a PET scan on Friday.

“I’m in this space not knowing what’s happening,” she said. “I usually feel extreme anxiety with these tests, because they are pretty scary, but I’m feeling totally calm and I’m not afraid. I feel absolute peace. I am feeling the lasting benefits of the therapy.”

Last edited:
Panorama_of_Kings_Parade_in_Cambridge%2C_UK%2C_at_St._Mary%27s.jpg

Cancer patients’ life lessons, post-psilocybin treatment

Terminal patients are learning to live, not just preparing to die.

by Alexa Julianne, BS | Psychedelic Science Review | 7 May 2021

After participating in New York University’s (NYU) cancer anxiety research study, Eddie had one major takeaway: “I just had gratitude that I’m here.” He composes himself before continuing, “Gratitude for everything, for being alive.”

This was no small insight for Eddie who was diagnosed with a rare small cell carcinoma. After successfully being treated with chemotherapy and surgery, he started to suffer from deep anxiety of the cancer returning.

In 2016, he participated in a study at NYU with 28 advanced-stage cancer patients to test whether psilocybin, a prodrug compound found in magic mushrooms, could alleviate the existential distress that accompanies a terminal diagnosis. That same year, Johns Hopkins University (JHU) also treated 51 cancer participants with psilocybin for the alleviation of anxiety and depression.

Anthony Bossis led the study at NYU after working for over 15 years in palliative care. When explaining why he initiated this study, he said, “One of the great pioneers of psychedelic medicine, Ralph Metzner, felt that psychedelics for death and dying was the most important application of these medicines and I agree.”

Scientists still don’t know exactly how psilocybin works in the brain, but a recent paper supports the idea that it might the patient’s interpretation of their own experience (along with integration work with a therapist) that leads to long-term improvement rather than the drug itself.

In the interviews below, patients described how psilocybin affected their depression, anxiety, and aspects of their lives beyond the study expectations.

Exploring cancer

Dinah was diagnosed with ovarian cancer but was “being eaten alive by anxiety.” During her psilocybin session at NYU, she experienced traveling through her body.
"I saw my fear as a big black lump in my abdomen under my rib cage. It was not the cancer, but it was the fear itself. And it infuriated me to see it. I was so angry, and I screamed, ‘Who do you think you are? Get the fuck out.’ Once I did that, it was gone. It just disappeared."

Eight years after the psilocybin experience, her anxiety about cancer “has never come back.”

A description of an embodiment of cancer was common, with almost half of the NYU participants interviewed imagined ejecting it from their bodies or completely accepting it as part of their life story.

Patrick participated in the NYU study after his cancer had metastasized and wrote down a similar experience. “I took a tour of my lungs. There were nodules but they seemed rather unimportant. I was being told (without words) to not worry about the cancer. It’s minor in the scheme of things… and that the more important matter, the real work to be done is before you: love.”

Bossis summarized Patrick’s outcomes. Since the study, he was less anxious regarding his cancer, and his quality of life dramatically improved. He no longer lived with a fear of dying and the cancer was almost irrelevant. The patient said he lives more in the present. He focuses on his relationships because he had learned that love was the “only thing that mattered.”

Being present

During her experience at JHU, Kerry had distinctly heard a booming voice that told her, “Right here, right now – you are alive right here, right now because that’s all you have.” She uses this as a mantra and reminder to live in the moment. “I’m not scared or full of anxiety. The experience transformed my inner perspective on a cellular level. All these years [after the study], I’m truly living.”

An anonymous patient said, “The percentage of my life that I am able to be present in just a moment has increased dramatically, and it’s really just been restored from almost nonexistent to often existent . . . it is unique and monumental in a way.”

Participants commonly described a shift in their life priorities, such as being present in the moment, feeling empowered and less stuck, and some described that they engaged in healthier habits and weight loss.

A aense of connection

Estalyn, diagnosed with an untreatable and aggressive form of lymphoma, experienced what scientists refer to as a “turning point,” where periods of distress can transform into positivity and understanding. After experiencing, “The worst pain and the worst fear and the worst anxiety,” she said…
"…turned into something that is the most precious thing I’ve ever known. I wish I could put it into words, but it was a sense of connectedness that runs through all of us."

In this experience, Estalyn learned that “I’m not alone. You’re not alone; none of us are. And we’re all a part of something much bigger than ourselves. If people could know how connected they really are – connected to spirit, to each other, and to nature, then so much of their fear and anxiety would dissipate.”

This sense of interconnectedness, which others in the study also described, gave patients a sense of empowerment, personal agency, belonging, and acceptance.7

This profound sense of connection is described as the “experience of unity,” a measurement that is predictive of long-term positive outcomes and reduced depressive symptoms.

Gratitude

Janeen, a participant at JHU, also described being able to enjoy the little things in life. “This study has changed everything in my life, everything. I am more patient, I am more thoughtful, I stop and I take the time. I am present.” Smiling, she says it’s true that “I have a few years chopped off my life, but look at the quality that I’m able to experience now.”

Eddie said,
"I think I’m better equipped to appreciate the good things. Honestly, that’s another thing the medicine has taught me that I’m grateful for my life. I’m grateful to be alive in a way that I didn’t know I could be grateful. It’s a kind of gratitude that, [shakes his head], it’s ineffable."

Published study results

JHU’s results showed that after the psilocybin and therapy sessions, approximately 80% of patients had significantly decreased depression and anxiety. Friends and family members also noted profound decreases in mood disturbance and increases in measures of quality of life, life meaning, death acceptance, and optimism.

Those dramatic results have also been proven to last. In 2020, 4.5 years after the trial at NYU ended, 60-80% of patients were still reporting reduced depressive and anxiety symptoms and associated positive life changes from the psilocybin clinical trial.

Eddie summarizes, “In some ways, I think I’m better equipped to be with whatever life presents. But that doesn’t mean that I’m without anxiety, it doesn’t mean that if faced with something that I don’t like that I won’t despair. But I think that I’m better equipped to face it.”

Last edited:
7079780.jpg

Beating prostate cancer with cannabis oil

by Dennis Hill, Biochemist

3 years ago, after a prostate biopsy, I received the diagnosis of aggressive Stage III adenocarcinoma. I didn't know what to do. The urologist made appointments for me to start radiation, and maybe chemo. Then a friend told me cannabis cures cancer. It just so happened that the first human trials of cannabis treatment of astrocytomas (inoperable brain cancer), were published with encouraging results. So I decided; rather than die from the medical treatment, I would do the cannabis cure. Now, where to get some. There was no dispensary in the area, but a friend made me cannabis butter, so I took that, up to tolerance. In 3 months the primary cancer was gone, only minor metastatic lesions were left. After that I found a supplier for Rick Simpson oil and killed off the metastases in the next 3 months. Now I just take a maintenance dose of locally produced hash oil that is 1:1 THC:CBD with about a 30% potency. This will certainly keep me clear of cancer, anywhere, forever.

My point in telling this story is that in the face of advanced aggressive cancer, all I had was very weak cannabutter, but it was enough to eliminate the primary tumor. Now there are strains of 95% THC. But is this necessary? If you have cancer and want to pursue the cannabis treatment, any at all will be good. More important than extreme potency, is balance between THC and CBD. If you can get high potency, great. If not, common potencies will work perfectly.

Finally, if you choose cannabinoid treatment, start small, then increase dosage as rapidly as tolerable. To kill cancer you have to hit it hard, be conscientious about your treatment. Cannabis does no harm to the body, it is a metabolic support for the immune system.

The alternative

As the body, its organs and tissues, fall out of balance or become diseased, cannabinoids have a restorative effect wherever the tissues are damaged, bringing optimal health in all structures and functions. To illustrate this, one particular cannabinoid detects proliferation of tumor cells, binds to the appropriate receptor site (CB2), and causes cancer cell death, leaving normal cells untouched. This effect is shown easily in the lab, but is this scalable to the human condition? We shall see.

In my high school physiology course, the first important concept I learned was homeostasis, the persistent tendency of the body to maintain metabolic balance. It does this through several related systems; so we see that the body likes to be healthy and happy. That is its nature.

Why does the body allow these foreign cannabinoids to come in and take control of such essential physiological processes, without some kind of reaction? It is simply because this modulation system is already set up, and has been functional for millions of years; it's in the DNA of all living creatures. Only it's called the endocannabinoid system. Let's look and see what this system is all about. In the Journal of Neuroimmunology we find a succinct summary:

The endocannabinoid system consists of cannabinoid receptors, their endogenous ligands and enzymes for synthesis and degradation of endocannabinoids and represents a local messenger system within and between the nervous and immune system. Apparently, the endocannabinoid system is involved in immune control and neuroprotection.

This is amazing. Our own endocannabinoid system covers all cells and nerves; it is the messenger of information flowing between our immune system and the central nervous system (CNS). It is responsible for neuroprotection, and micro-manages the immune system. This is the primary control system that maintains homeostasis; our well being.

Just out of curiosity, how does the work get done at the cellular level, and where does the body make the endocannabinoids? Here is a quick look:

In standard neurotransmission, the pre-synaptic neuron releases neurotransmitter into the synaptic cleft which binds to cognate receptors expressed on the post-synaptic neuron. Upon binding, the neuron depolarizes. This depolarization facilitates the influx of calcium into the neuron; this increase in calcium activates an enzyme called transacylase which catalyzes the first step of endocannabinoid biosynthesis.

Here we see that endocannabinoids have their origin in nerve cells right at the synapse. When the body is compromised through illness or injury it calls insistently to the endocannabinoid system to direct the immune system to bring healing. If these homeostatic systems are weakened, it should be no surprise that hemp cannabinoids are therapeutic. It helps the body in the most natural way possible.

The endocannabinoid system

To see how this works we visualize the cannabinoid as a 3-dimensional molecule, where one part of the molecule is configured to fit the nerve or immune cell receptor site just like a key in a lock. There are at least two types of cannabinoid receptor sites, CB1 (CNS) and CB2 (immune). In general CB1 gives us the buzz, and CB2 activates the immune system, but it's much more complex than this. Both THC and anandamide activate both receptor sites. Other cannabinoids activate one or the other receptor sites. Among the strains of Cannabis, C. sativa tends toward the CB1 receptor, and C. indica tends toward CB2. So sativa is better for buzz, and indica is better for healing. Another factor here is that sativa is dominated by THC cannabinoids, and indica is predominately CBD (cannabidiol).

It is known that THC and CBD are biomimetic to anandamide, that is, the body can use both interchangeably. Thus, when stress, injury, or illness demand more from endogenous anandamide than can be produced by the body, its mimetic exocannabinoids can be administered. If the stress is transitory, then the treatment can be transitory. If the demand is sustained, such as in cancer, then treatment needs to provide sustained pressure of the modulating agent on the homeostatic systems. This is why Rick Simpson recommends twice daily doses of hemp oil extract (C. indica), for three months, in the case of cancer.

Typically CBD gravitates to the densely packed CB2 receptors in the spleen, home to the body's immune system. From there, immune cells seek out and destroy cancer cells. Interestingly, it has been shown that CBD cannabinoids have the ability to kill cancer cells directly without going through immune intermediaries. CBD hijacks the lipoxygenase pathway to directly inhibit tumor growth. As a side note, it has been discovered that CBD inhibits anandamide reuptake. This means that cannabidiol helps the body preserve its own natural endocannabinoid by inhibiting the enzyme that breaks down anandamide.

Coincidentally, it is not only CBD that is specifically cytotoxic to cancer cells, THC takes a different approach the task:

THC achieves this wizardry by binding to protein receptors on a cancerous cell?s surface. Once attached, the THC induces the cell to make a fatty substance called ceramide, which prompts the cell to start devouring itself. We see programmed cell death. What's more, noncancerous cells don't make ceramide when they come into contact with THC. The healthy cells don't die.

Just for clarity, endogenous ceramide (a signaling sphingolipid) disrupts the mitochondrial function of making ATP (adenosine triphosphate), thus the cancer cell becomes energy starved. ATP is the energy donor for all essential cell functions. Once the mitochondria shut down, the cell dies.

Endogenous ceramide's day job is to speed destruction of already stressed or senescent cells. We seen now that in the presence of THC, ceramide senses cancer cells as stressed or senescent, thus speeding their death.

Before leaving this topic it is important that we differentiate between plant based ceramide (phytosphingosine) and mammalian ceramide (endogenous sphignosine). Plant ceramide has a slightly different molecular structure but very different bioactivity. Ingested, it is a moisturizing lipid that supports the skin (stratum corneum) enhancing the moisture barrier that keeps epidermis from drying out. This is good, you should get some. I tried it and liked it.

How cannabis oil works

First let's look at what keeps cancer cells alive, then we will come back and examine how the cannabinoids CBD (cannabidiol) and THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) unravels cancer?s aliveness.

In every cell there is a family of interconvertible sphingolipids that specifically manage the life and death of that cell. This profile of factors is called the "Sphingolipid Rheostat." If endogenous ceramide (a signaling metabolite of sphingosine-1-phosphate) is high, then cell death (apoptosis) is imminent. If ceramide is low, the cell is strong in its vitality.

Very simply, when THC connects to the CB1 or CB2 cannabinoid receptor site on the cancer cell, it causes an increase in ceramide synthesis which drives cell death. A normal healthy cell does not produce ceramide in the presence of THC, thus is not affected by the cannabinoid.

The cancer cell dies, not because of cytotoxic chemicals, but because of a tiny little shift in the mitochondria. Within most cells there is a cell nucleus, numerous mitochondria (hundreds to thousands), and various other organelles in the cytoplasm. The purpose of the mitochondria is to produce energy (ATP) for cell use. As ceramide starts to accumulate, turning up the Sphingolipid Rheostat, it increases the mitochondrial membrane pore permeability to cytochrome c, a critical protein in energy synthesis. Cytochrome c is pushed out of the mitochondria, killing the source of energy for the cell.

Ceramide also causes genotoxic stress in the cancer cell nucleus generating a protein called p53, whose job it is to disrupt calcium metabolism in the mitochondria. If this weren't enough, ceramide disrupts the cellular lysosome, the cell's digestive system that provides nutrients for all cell functions. Ceramide, and other sphingolipids, actively inhibit pro-survival pathways in the cell leaving no possibility at all of cancer cell survival.

The key to this process is the accumulation of ceramide in the system. This means taking therapeutic amounts of CBD and THC, steadily, over a period of time, keeping metabolic pressure on this cancer cell death pathway.

How did this pathway come to be? Why is it that the body can take a simple plant enzyme and use it for profound healing in many different physiological systems? This endocannabinoid system exists in all animal life, just waiting for its matched exocannabinoid activator.

This is interesting. Our own endocannabinoid system covers all cells and nerves; it is the messenger of information flowing between our immune system and the central nervous system (CNS). It is responsible for neuroprotection, and micro-manages the immune system. This is the primary control system that maintains homeostasis; our well being.

How does the work get done at the cellular level, and where does the body make the endocannabinoids? Here we see that endocannabinoids have their origin in nerve cells right at the synapse. When the body is compromised through illness or injury it calls insistently to the endocannabinoid system and directs the immune system to bring healing. If these homeostatic systems are weakened, it should be no surprise that exocannabinoids are therapeutic. It helps the body in the most natural way possible.

To see how this works we visualize the cannabinoid as a three dimensional molecule, where one part of the molecule is configured to fit the nerve or immune cell receptor site just like a key in a lock. There are at least two types of cannabinoid receptor sites, CB1 (CNS) and CB2 (immune). In general CB1 activates the CNS messaging system, and CB2 activates the immune system, but it's much more complex than this. Both THC and anandamide activate both receptor sites. Other cannabinoids activate one or the other receptor sites. Among the strains of Cannabis, C. sativa tends toward the CB1 receptor, and C. indica tends toward CB2. So sativa is more neuroactive, and indica is more immunoactive. Another factor here is that sativa is dominated by THC cannabinoids, and indica is predominately CBD (cannabidiol).

It is known that THC and CBD are biomimetic to anandamide, that is, the body can use both interchangeably. Thus, when stress, injury, or illness demand more from endogenous anandamide than can be produced by the body, its mimetic exocannabinoids are activated. If the stress is transitory, then the treatment can be transitory. If the demand is sustained, such as in cancer, then treatment needs to provide sustained pressure of the modulating agent on the homeostatic systems.

Typically, CBD gravitates to the densely packed CB2 receptors in the spleen, home to the body's immune system. From there, immune cells seek out and destroy cancer cells. Interestingly, it has been shown that THC and CBD cannabinoids have the ability to kill cancer cells directly without going through immune intermediaries. THC and CBD hijack the lipoxygenase pathway to directly inhibit tumor growth. As a side note, it has been discovered that CBD inhibits anandamide reuptake. Here we see that cannabidiol helps the body preserve its own natural endocannabinoid by inhibiting the enzyme that breaks down anandamide.

This brief survey touches lightly on a few essential concepts. Mostly I would like to leave you with an appreciation that nature has designed the perfect medicine that fits exactly with our own immune system of receptors and signaling metabolites to provide rapid and complete immune response for systemic integrity and metabolic homeostasis.

cannabis-cures-terminal-stage-iv-lung-cancer-hero.jpg

Case Report: Lung cancer shrinks in patient using CBD oil

by Roxanne Nelson, RN, BSN | Medscape | 15 Oct 2021

A case report describes the dramatic shrinkage of a tumor to a quarter of its original size in a patient with non–small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) who had declined conventional treatment, continued smoking, and who later revealed that she was ingesting cannabidiol (CBD) oil.

The patient was an 80-year-old woman.

At diagnosis, the tumor measured 41 mm, and there was no evidence of local or further spread. Hence, it was suitable for a standard treatment regimen of surgery, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy, note the authors.

The patient declined conventional treatment. She underwent monitoring with regular CT scans every 3–6 months.

After 2.5 years, the CT scans showed that the tumor had shrunk to 10 mm.

The patient then disclosed that she had been ingesting CBD oil, which had been suggested to her by a family member. It was taken orally about two to three times a day.

Details of the case were published on October 14 in BMJ Case Reports.

"We are aware of the limitations of this case report,"
write the authors, led by Kah Ling Liew, MD, of Watford General Hospital, Watford, United Kingdom.

"Although there appears to be a relationship between the intake of 'CBD oil' and the observed tumour regression, we are unable to conclusively confirm that the tumour regression is due to the patient taking 'CBD oil,' " they commented.

The team also notes that there are similar case reports in the medical literature.

Both points were emphasized by experts reacting to the publication via the UK Science Media Center.

"This is one of many such promising single case reports of medical cannabis self-treatment for various cancers," said David Nutt, DM, FRCP, FRCPsych, the Edmond J. Safra Chair in Neuropsychopharmacology, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom. "Such case reports are biologically credible given the adaptogenic nature of the endocannabinoid system."

He noted that a "case report itself is not sufficient to give any form of proof that one thing caused the other ― we need trials for that. There are some controlled trials already started and more are required to properly explore the potential of medical cannabis in a range of cancers."

Another expert, Edzard Ernst, MD, PhD, professor emeritus of complementary medicine, University of Exeter, Exeter, United Kingdom, pointed out that in animal models, cannabinoids have reduced the size of prostate cancer tumors. "Previous case reports have yielded encouraging findings also in human cancers," he noted. He too said that further study is needed.

"Case reports cannot be considered to be reliable evidence, and there are currently no data from rigorous clinical trials to suggest that cannabis products will alter the natural history of any cancer," Ernst said.

Patient declined recommended treatment

The patient initially presented with a persistent cough that did not resolve with antibiotic therapy. She has a history of mild chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, osteoarthritis, and hypertension. She is a current smoker with a 68 pack-year history of smoking. She has no history of alcohol consumption and is taking several prescription medications.

After an initial CT scan, she underwent a CT-guided lung biopsy and was diagnosed with NSCLC (TNM stage T2bN0Mx). Further analysis of the tumor tissue showed that it was negative for ALK and EGFR mutations. PDL1 was expressed by <1% of the tumor cells. No distant metastases were detected.

A subsequent CT scan revealed that the main tumor in her right middle lobe had shrunk from 41 mm to 33 mm. There were new bilateral upper lobe nodules, one in the left apex, which measured 4 mm, and one in right apex, which measured 6 mm.

The patient was referred to cardiothoracic surgeons for a possible lobectomy, but the patient declined to have surgery. She was then referred to the oncologists. She underwent repeat CT and positron-emission tomography (PET) scans, which showed that her cancer had continued to shrink. On CT, there was an 11-mm reduction, and on PET, an 18-mm reduction. The left apical nodule had resolved, and the right upper lobe nodule was reduced in size.

The patient was offered stereotactic ablative radiotherapy, but she declined this treatment. Because she had refused all standard therapies, a decision was made to "watch and wait." The patient underwent regular CT surveillance.

Over the course of 2.5 years, the tumor continued to regress. By February 2021, it had shrunk to 10 mm, which represents an overall reduction of 76% in maximum axial diameter. The average rate of reduction was 2.4% per month throughout the monitoring period.

"This case was brought to the attention of the local lung MDT [multidisciplinary team] in February 2019 when the serial imaging showed a reduction in tumor size despite having received no conventional treatment for her lung cancer," write the authors.

The patient was contacted to discuss her results. She revealed that she was using CBD oil and that she had started taking it in August 2018. No changes had been made in her prescription medications, diet, and lifestyle, and she continued to smoke a pack of cigarettes every week.

"I was not very interested in traditional cancer treatments," the patient said, "as I was worried about the risks of surgery, and I saw my late husband suffer through the side effects of radiotherapy. My relative suggested that I should try 'cannabidiol (CBD) oil' to treat my cancer, and I have been taking it regularly ever since. I am 'over the moon' with my cancer shrinking, which I believe was caused by the 'CBD oil'. I am tolerating it very well and I intend to take this treatment indefinitely."

The source of the CBD oil was outside the United Kingdom. The main active ingredients, according to her supplier, were Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), at 19 percent, CBD, at 21 percent, and tetrahydrocannabinolic acid, at 24 percent.

"The product used by this patient reportedly contained high levels of THC (the intoxicating component of cannabis) and was sourced from outside the UK," commented Tom Freeman, PhD, senior lecturer and director of the Addiction and Mental Health Group, University of Bath, Bath, United Kingdom. "This type of product is very different to most CBD oils, which predominantly contain CBD. Unlike prescribed medicines, CBD wellness products lack assurance of quality, safety, or efficacy and should not be used for medicinal purposes."

BMJ Case Rep.
2021;14:e244195. Full text

tingri-everest-base-camp-trek.jpg

Single dose of hallucinogenic drug psilocybin relieves anxiety and depression in patients with advanced cancer

NYU Langone Medical Center School of Medicine | Technology Networks

When combined with psychological counseling, a single dose of a mind-altering compound contained in psychedelic mushrooms significantly lessens mental anguish in distressed cancer patients for months at a time, according to results of a clinical trial led by researchers at NYU Langone Medical Center.

Published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, the study showed that one-time treatment with the hallucinogenic drug psilocybin—whose use required federal waivers because it is a banned substance—quickly brought relief from distress that then lasted for more than six months in 80 percent of the 29 study subjects monitored, based on clinical evaluation scores for anxiety and depression.

The NYU Langone-led study was published side by side with a similar study from Johns Hopkins. Study results were also endorsed in 11 accompanying editorials from leading experts in psychiatry, addiction, and palliative care. (See more on the Johns Hopkins research as presented at the annual meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Dec. 2015)

"Our results represent the strongest evidence to date of a clinical benefit from psilocybin therapy, with the potential to transform care for patients with cancer-related psychological distress," says study lead investigator Stephen Ross, MD, director of substance abuse services in the Department of Psychiatry at NYU Langone.

"If larger clinical trials prove successful, then we could ultimately have available a safe, effective, and inexpensive medication—dispensed under strict control—to alleviate the distress that increases suicide rates among cancer patients," says Ross, also an associate professor of psychiatry at NYU School of Medicine.

Study co-investigator Jeffrey Guss, MD, a clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at NYU Langone, notes that psilocybin has been studied for decades and has an established safety profile. Study participants, he says, experienced no serious negative effects, such as hospitalization or more serious mental health conditions.

Although the neurological benefits of psilocybin are not completely understood, it has been proven to activate parts of the brain also impacted by the signaling chemical serotonin, which is known to control mood and anxiety. Serotonin imbalances have also been linked to depression.

For the study, half of the participants were randomly assigned to receive a 0.3 milligrams per kilogram dose of psilocybin while the rest received a vitamin placebo (250 milligrams of niacin) known to produce a "rush" that mimics a hallucinogenic drug experience.

Approximately half way through the study's monitoring period (after seven weeks), all participants switched treatments. Those who initially received psilocybin took a single dose of placebo, and those who first took niacin, then received psilocybin. Neither patients nor researchers knew who had first received psilocybin or placebo. Guss says, "The randomization, placebo control, and double-blind procedures maximized the validity of the study results."

One of the key findings was that improvements in clinical evaluation scores for anxiety and depression lasted for the remainder of the study's extended monitoring period—specifically, eight months for those who took psilocybin first.

All patients in the study—mostly women age 22 to 75 who are or were patients at the Perlmutter Cancer Center of NYU Langone—had either advanced breast, gastrointestinal, or blood cancers and had been diagnosed as suffering from serious psychological distress related to their disease. All patients, who volunteered to be part of the study, were provided with tailored counseling from a psychiatrist, psychologist, nurse or social worker, and were monitored for side effects and improvements in their mental state.

Co-investigator Anthony Bossis, PhD, a clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at NYU Langone, says patients also reported post-psilocybin improvements in their quality of life: going out more, greater energy, getting along better with family members, and doing well at work. Several also reported variations of spirituality, unusual peacefulness, and increased feelings of altruism.

"Our study showed that psilocybin facilitated experiences that drove reductions in psychological distress," says Bossis. "And if it's true for cancer care, then it could apply to other stressful medical conditions."

Bossis cautions that patients should not consume psilocybin on their own or without supervision by a physician and a trained counselor. He also says "Psilocybin therapy may not work for everyone, and some groups, such as people with schizophrenia, as well as adolescents, should not be treated with it."

Note: Material may have been edited for length and content. For further information, please contact the cited source.

NYU Langone Medical Center / New York University School of Medicine press release

Publication

Ross S et al. Rapid and sustained symptom reduction following psilocybin treatment for anxiety and depression in patients with life-threatening cancer: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Psychopharmacology, Published Online December 1 2016. doi: 10.1177/0269881116675512

Last edited:
eduardo-schenberg-10092018151521468

Eduardo Schenberg

Ayahuasca and cancer treatment*

by Eduardo Schenberg | Sage Journals

Used for centuries in the Amazon by healers and shamans for healing and curing of illnesses, ayahuasca is a plant decoction that may be useful in the treatment of some types of cancer. The decoction is most commonly made of two plants in two possible combinations: Banisteriopsis caapi with Psychotria viridis, or B. caapi with Diplopterys cabrerana.

The ayahuasca brew is one of the most sophisticated ethnomedicines known, and more than 20 plants have been identified as part of the preparation. However, it is usually made from only 2 plants, B. caapi and P. viridis. P. viridis and D. cabrerana contain N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) in the leaves, and B. caapi contains β-carbolines such as harmine, harmaline, and tetrahydroharmine in the stem. These harmala alkaloids receive their name from the Peganum harmala plant (Syrian Rue), where they were first identified, which is used to treat cancer since ancient times.

Given the increasing number of people drinking ayahuasca in the last decade, especially in urban environments, biomedical studies were conducted in humans, repeatedly demonstrating the safety of consuming this brew in a variety of settings.

DMT is a simple molecule found throughout the plant and animal kingdoms. It is found in human blood and cerebrospinal fluid, and its formation has been proposed to occur in adrenal and lung, where high levels of the enzyme responsible for its synthesis, indole-N-methyltransferase (INMT), have been reported. DMT is the only mammalian N,N-dimethylated trace amine known, and the physiological functions of endogenous DMT remain unclear. However, it is well established that DMT has agonist properties at 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) receptors, mainly 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C. Furthermore, it was recently revealed that DMT binds to the sigma-1 receptor, which provides new opportunities for understanding how ayahuasca may produce its marked effects on the body and mind and what might be the role of endogenous DMT and how ayahuasca may have effects on cancer.

The human sigma-1 receptor has been cloned and shows no homology with other mammalian proteins. Single-photon emission tomography (SPET) analysis in humans revealed that these receptors are present in organs such as the lung and liver and most concentrated in the brain. Sigma-1 receptor activity has been implicated in a variety of diseases, including cancer, depression, and anxiety. Sigma-1 receptors are found in high densities in many human cancer cell lines, including lung, prostate, colon, ovaries, breast, and brain; thus, sigma ligands are regarded as potential novel antineoplastic tools. Remarkably, there is much overlap between the tissues identified with high sigma-1 receptor densities and the case reports presented here.

The sigma-1 receptor is a molecular chaperone situated at the mitochondria-associated endoplasmic reticulum (ER) membrane (MAM). The spatial and temporal interaction between the ER and mitochondria is crucial for controlling the fate of the cell through the regulation of calcium dynamics, the control of mitochondrial membrane permeabilization, and the initiation and/or propagation of apoptosis by the activation of the Bcl-2 protein family, or by caspase-independent factors, such as apoptosis-inducing factors and endonuclease G. After activation, sigma-1 receptors at the MAM disassociate from the binding immunoglobulin protein (BiP), allowing it to act as a molecular chaperone to inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate (IP3) receptors, stabilizing them and protecting from degradation by proteasomes. This effect enhances calcium flow from the ER to the mitochondria, activating the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle and increasing the production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Importantly, sigma-1 receptors mediate calcium influx to the mitochondria specifically from the ER through 1,4,5-triphosphate receptor type III (IP3R3) but not from the cytosol, which is mediated by 1,4,5-triphosphate receptor type I (IP3R1), indicating a specific mechanism of action for calcium dynamics.

When stimulated by higher concentrations of its ligands, sigma-1 receptors may translocate from the MAM to the plasma membrane region. After translocation, it can exert inhibitory effects on many ion channels, including N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor modulation through small conductance K+ (SK) channels, the Kv1.4 channel, the NaV1.5 channel, the voltage-gated N-, L-, and P/Q-type Ca2+ channels, the acid-sensing ion channel, and the volume-regulated Cl− channel. The interaction between the sigma-1 receptor and the volume-regulated Cl− channel may have important implications for cancer because these Cl− channels modulate the cell cycle and influence cell volume regulation. Also important for cancer treatment may be the NaV1.5 channel, which is expressed in many cancers, including breast and prostate, and is also associated with metastatic processes. It is important to note that many of these effects were studied in different cells and tissues; therefore, the sigma-1 receptor roles are most likely tissue dependent. Consequently, cell- and tissue-specific effects are important factors that must be considered in oncology studies related to sigma-1 receptors.

DMT binds sigma-1 receptors with moderate affinity and, at high concentrations, is also capable of inhibiting voltage-gated sodium channels. Thus, DMT may exert two types of effects through sigma-1 receptors: at low concentrations, it regulates calcium flow from the ER to the mitochondria, whereas at higher concentrations, it exerts diverse effects at the plasma membrane region. The effect on calcium influx into the mitochondria may be extremely important for cancer treatment given that an energetic imbalance between excessive cytosolic aerobic glycolysis and reduced mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation (the Warburg effect) was recently suggested as the seventh hallmark of cancer. This metabolic profile of cancer cells is accompanied by a hyperpolarization of the mitochondrial membrane potential that may be reduced by the calcium influx triggered by DMT binding to the sigma-1 receptor at the MAM. This effect may facilitate the electrochemical processes at the electron transport chain inside the mitochondria, thus increasing the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and leading these cells to apoptotic pathways. When high DMT concentrations induce sigma-1 receptor translocation to the plasma membrane, many cellular effects would occur due to the receptor’s interaction with different ion channels. At high concentrations of DMT, a calcium influx and mitochondrial membrane depolarization might be enough to also activate the permeability transition pore (PTP), inducing mitochondria swelling, rupture, and apoptosis.

For all these effects to help explain the available case reports of ayahuasca on cancer treatment, DMT’s physiological degradation by enteric monoamine oxidase (primarily MAO-A) after oral consumption should be inhibited, thus allowing the DMT to pass into circulation. The pharmacological activity of β-carbolines (primarily harmine) in ayahuasca inhibits MAO, with a high affinity for MAO-A. Therefore, the specific effects of ayahuasca on the different types of cancer could also vary depending on the predominant MAO subtype, given that the ratio of MAO-A to MAO-B varies, for example, from 1:3 in the brain to 4:1 in the intestine, and the placenta has only MAO-A and blood platelets have only MAO-B. Another consequence of inhibiting MAO in different tissues is interference with apoptotic pathways, thus strengthening the synergistic action of β-carbolines and DMT.

In addition to allowing DMT to exert its effects on cancer tissues and cells, β-carbolines may have other important roles. It was recently demonstrated that harmine activates pathways of apoptosis in B16F-10 melanoma cells; it inhibits tumor-specific neo-vessel formation, both in vitro and in vivo in mice, through a series of mechanisms involving decreased serum levels of pro-angiogenic factors and an increase in anti-tumor factors and displays an inhibitory effect on cell proliferation against human carcinoma cells. Harmine and harmaline were also shown to reduce cell proliferation in the human leukemia cell line HL. Harmine was also shown to induce apoptosis in the human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line HepG2. Harmine may also be beneficial in cancer treatment due to its inhibitory effect on the DYRK1A kinase. This kinase is implicated in the resistance of many cancerous tissues to pro-apoptotic stimuli and the enhancement of proliferation, migration, and reduced cell death. Another pharmacological effect of harmine that may be important in brain cancer is its role on the EAAT2 glial glutamate re-uptake transporter. Harmine was identified as one the most efficient molecules to upregulate this transporter in glial cells among a library of 1040 Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved substances. This fact may be of importance because most brain tumors are of glial origin and involve excessive glutamate release, causing neurotoxicity. Also important for gliomas may be the binding of harmine to imidazoline I2 receptors. These receptors are highly expressed in gliomas, and their density increases with malignancy in human cells. However, their physiological role in these tissues remains unclear.

Nonetheless, care should be taken because there are also some contradictory reports regarding possible genotoxic or mutagenic effects of β-carbolines in different experiments with cell cultures. Although some of these reports focus specifically on harman and horhaman, which are not found in ayahuasca preparations, others included research into harmine and harmaline. For example, it has been reported that harmine and harman are genotoxic in V79 Chinese hamster fibroblasts and may induce DNA lesions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell lines. On the contrary, it was found that harman and harmine do not induce chromosomal alterations in Salmonela typhimurium and Escherichia coli cell lines, and that harmine and harmaline may even have antimutagenic and antigenotoxic activities related to their antioxidant properties. It was also shown that harmine may inhibit tumors as assessed by Lewis Lung Cancer and S180 cell lines, although with some toxic effects.

In summary, it is hypothesized that the combined actions of β-carbolines and DMT present in ayahuasca may diminish tumor blood supply, activate apoptotic pathways, diminish cell proliferation, and change the energetic metabolic imbalance of cancer cells, known as the Warburg effect. Therefore, ayahuasca may act on cancer hallmarks such as angiogenesis, apoptosis, and cell metabolism. This hypothesis gives some scientific credibility to the cases reported and supports the realization of more scientific studies of ayahuasca and cancer. However, to improve the safety and efficacy of those who eventually search the use of ayahuasca for the treatment of cancer, more studies should be performed considering the remarkable psychological effects of the ritual use of ayahuasca and its possible influences on cancer patients.

2014-02-03_14-54-54.png

*From the article here :
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2050312113508389

Last edited:
953f182ba00b406cb1f014f10f48980a.jpg.200x200_q95_crop_detail_upscale.jpg

Dr. Attila Szabo

Tryptamines: Endogenous Regulators of Inflammation and Tumor Immunity

Dr. Attila Szabo, University of Oslo, Norway

Tryptamines are members of a large family of monoamine alkaloids that are widespread in nature and abundant in all the three Kingdoms of life (plants, fungi, and animals). Their main feature is a common indole ring, a backbone that is structurally related to the amino acid tryptophan. This tryptamine backbone designates many biologically active compounds, such as psychedelics and neurotransmitters. To date, our knowledge about the immunomodulatory capacity of tryptamines is quite scarce. DMT is the only member of the family that has been investigated so far.

DMT is related to the neurotransmitter serotonin, the hormone melatonin, and other psychedelic tryptamines, such as bufotenin and psilocin. It is a naturally occurring indole alkaloid that is ubiquitous in plants, such as Diplopterys cabrerana and Psychotria viridis, which are used for the preparation of sacramental psychoactive brews including yage and ayahuasca. In addition to its ubiquitous presence in plant species, DMT has also been detected in animal tissues and is considered to be an endogenous trace amine. The milestones of DMT research were laid down by Szara and Axelrod who reported first the psychoactive effects and occurrence of this compound in the human brain. This led to the hypothesis that DMT is an endogenous psychedelic, and a neurotransmitter or neuromodulator. DMT was shown to act as an agonist at several serotonin receptors including 5-HT1A, 5-HT2A, and 5-HT2C as well as at sigmar-1.

The vast majority of the initial research into the reasons for the presence of psychoactive tryptamines in the human body has sought their involvement in mental illness. Until now, very little has been known about the function of DMT in cellular and general physiological processes, and the emphasis of research mostly aimed the understanding of its psychedelic properties. Recently, we and others demonstrated that DMT has the capability to modulate immune responses in in vitro human primary cell cultures. In these studies, DMT was shown to act as a non-competitive inhibitor of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase (IDO) and as a strong inducer of anti-tumor cytotoxic activity in the co-cultures of human PBMCs and a glioma cell line. Furthermore, DMT and its analog 5-MeO-DMT were found to exert potent anti-inflammatory activity through the sigmar-1 in human monocyte-derived dendritic cell (moDC) cultures.

The anti-cancer activity of ayahuasca has already been reviewed by Schenberg. However, it is important to keep in mind that ayahuasca is a complex decoction that, besides DMT, contains several other components according to the admixture plants used in the making process. Furthermore, ayahuasca can be administered in various ways (single-time, long-term, etc.), thus one should be particularly careful with the study design and interpretation of the data. Nevertheless, ayahuasca consumption in a highly controlled clinical setting emerges as a very promising model for investigating the possible immunomodulatory effects of DMT in humans. Importantly, it is possible that the observed anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive effects may counteract with the anti-cancer activity, therefore further investigations are needed to elucidate the complex in vivo consequences of DMT administration.

The mentioned studies demonstrate and propose new biological roles for DMT, which may act as a systemic endogenous regulator of inflammation and immune homeostasis. According to these new results, DMT and 5-MeO-DMT possess the capability to inhibit the polarization of human moDC-primed CD4+T helper cells toward the inflammatory Th1 and Th17 effector subtypes in inflammatory ttings. This is of particular importance, since Th1 and Th17 cells and the cytokines they secrete are key players in the etiology and symptomatology of many chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases of the CNS and other tissues. Moreover, the mobilization of innate immune mechanisms is also well established in many psychiatric and neurological disorders. Thus, as a target for future pharmacological investigations, DMT emerges as a potent and promising candidate in novel therapies of peripheral and CNS autoimmune diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis, ALS, and cancer.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/096...8ea779ba61.pdf

Last edited:
psychedelic-psilocybin-mushroom-molecule-750x375.jpg

Psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy reduces suicidal ideation among cancer patients*

by Beth Ellwood | PsyPost | 15 Dec 2021

Recent findings published in the journal ACS Pharmacology & Translational Science suggest that psilocybin, in conjunction with psychotherapy, reduces suicidal ideation and loss of meaning among patients with life-threatening cancer. These mental health improvements were maintained months to years following treatment.

Cancer patients are at increased risk of suicidal ideation and completed suicide, particularly those with advanced illness. Such patients often experience existential distress and a loss of meaning in life, and little is known about pharmacological treatments that might alleviate these effects.

Researchers Stephen Ross and his colleagues say that there is evidence that the psychedelic drug psilocybin might alleviate suicidal ideation. The researchers were motivated to study whether psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy might produce sustained reductions in suicidal ideation among patients with life-threatening cancer.

Ross and his team analyzed data from a previous crossover study where they randomly assigned a sample of individuals with advanced cancer to one of two dosing sequences in conjunction with psychotherapy. Participants in one condition were given psilocybin on the first dosing session and niacin seven weeks later, while participants in a second condition were given niacin first and psilocybin seven weeks later. The niacin served as an active control.

For the current study, the researchers focused on participants who presented with suicidality at baseline, resulting in a sample of 11 participants with an average age of 60. At baseline, participants completed assessments of suicidal ideation, loss of meaning, hopelessness, and spiritual well-being. They then partook in various follow-up assessments throughout their psychotherapy treatment. Assessments for suicidal ideation were taken 8 hours after dose 1, 2 weeks after dose 1, 7 weeks after dose 1, and 6.5 months after dose 2. Assessments for loss of meaning, hopelessness, and spiritual well-being, were taken 2 weeks after dose 1, 6.5 months after dose 2, and 3.2 years and 4.5 years after baseline.

For the group who received psilocybin first, suicidal ideation and loss of meaning scores dropped significantly at every assessment point compared to baseline levels. This was not true for the group that received niacin first. Furthermore, when comparing the two groups, the psilocybin-first group had lower average loss of meaning scores compared to the niacin-first group at 2 weeks following dose 1.

According to the follow-up assessments, these changes were somewhat long-term. Within-subject decreases in suicidal ideation and loss of meaning (compared to baseline) were still apparent when assessed 6.5 months later. Moreover, reductions in loss of meaning were maintained at the 3.2-year and 4.5-year assessments.

Importantly, reductions in suicidal ideation were correlated with decreases in loss of meaning, hopelessness, and demoralization. While the study design does not allow causal inferences, the authors suggest that loss of meaning might mediate the link between suicidal ideation and a cancer diagnosis. They say that psilocybin-assisted psychotherapies that include existential components might lower suicidal thinking by “enhancing meaning-making” — a hypothesis that could be tested in future trials.

“These preliminary results suggest that psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy could be a novel pharmacological−psychosocial treatment modality for advanced-cancer-related suicidality,” Ross and colleagues say. “Further empirical research is needed to definitively establish its efficacy and potential mechanisms of action.” If such treatment proves effective, the implications are far-reaching. Similar therapies might be introduced to treat suicidality among patients with major depressive disorder (MDD) or patients with other life-threatening illnesses than cancer.

The study, “Acute and Sustained Reductions in Loss of Meaning and Suicidal Ideation Following Psilocybin-Assisted Psychotherapy for Psychiatric and Existential Distress in Life-Threatening Cancer,” was authored by Stephen Ross, Gabrielle Agin-Liebes, Sharon Lo, Richard J. Zeifman, Leila Ghazal, Julia Benville, Silvia Franco Corso, Christian Bjerre Real, Jeffrey Guss, Anthony Bossis, and Sarah E. Mennenga.

*From the article here :

Albert Labs plans "first to market" offering of psychedelics for anxiety in cancer patients*

by Psychedelic Spotlight | 18 Dec 2021

In this interview, David Flores sits down with Dr. Mike Raymont, Director/CEO of Albert Labs, a laboratory based clinical research and drug development enterprise focused on improving patient access to psychedelic assisted therapies through accelerated regulatory approval pathways with a current focus on psilocybin to treat anxiety in cancer patients.

Albert Labs is the first psychedelic company to use a different pathway to regulatory approval, pioneered primarily in the UK, utilizing real world evidence studies to accelerate access to psychedelic therapy for narrow indications of urgent and unmet needs. This speed to market strategy is what leads Dr. Raymont to believe that "Albert Labs will be the first to market with a regulated drug by the end of 2022 and reach profitability by 2023-2024.”

To learn more about Albert Labs, visit: albertlabs.com

source

*From the article here :

Last edited:
1000px-Cidade_Universit%C3%A1ria_USP.jpg

University of São Paulo

Tryptamine and Dimethyltryptamine found to increase the tumor-reactivity of peripheral blood cells

Tourino, de Oliveira, Belle, Campa, Knebel, Albuquerque, Dorr, Okada

Indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase (IDO) is an interferon-γ (IFN-γ)-induced tryptophan-degrading enzyme, producing kynurenine (KYN) that participates in the mechanism of tumor immune tolerance. Thus, IDO inhibition has been considered a strategy for anticancer therapy. The aim of this study was to identify whether the metabolites originating from the competitive routes of tryptophan metabolism, such as the serotonergic or N, N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) pathways, have inhibitory effects on recombinant human IDO (rhIDO) activity. Serotonin and melatonin had no effect; on the other hand, tryptamine (TRY) and DMT modulated the activity of rhIDO as classical non-competitive inhibitors. TRY and DMT increased the cytotoxic activity of peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) in co-culture assays. We therefore conclude that the IDO inhibition by TRY and DMT contributed to a more effective tumor-reactive response by the PBMCs.

Tryptophan (TRP) metabolism has been studied for many years. Thereafter, this issue has become increasingly attractive for immunologists, primarily concerning investigations of the role of TRP depletion and KYN formation in the immune system and cancer progression. The key component in cancer-associated immunosuppression by TRP degradation and KYN formation is the enzymatic activity of indoleamine 2,3 dioxygenase (IDO). Because KYN has tolerogenic effects on dendritic cells and suppresses T cell proliferation, the up-regulation of IDO has been strongly associated with the way malignant cells escape immune surveillance, and the inhibition of IDO activity has been regarded as a main target in pharmacological interventions related to immunoescape.

The objective of this study was to identify whether these compounds have inhibitory effects on the activity of recombinant human IDO (rhIDO) and increase the tumor-reactive effect of peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC).

At first, the idea that TRY and DMT could be natural endogenous inhibitors of IDO sounds improbable because they are present at very low concentrations in mammalian cells. However, in some circumstances, the concentration of these compounds could be enough to provide IDO inhibition. This assumption is supported by the following findings: (i) the transcriptional expression of the enzymes responsible for the synthesis of TRY and DMT has been described in diverse mammalian tissues; (ii) DMT is actively transported and accumulated in the brain and storage vesicles; and (iii) DMT injected in rabbits persists in the brain at micromolar concentrations.

In conclusion, we have identified a previously unknown inhibitory activity of TRY and DMT on IDO activity that contributed to a more effective tumor-reactive response by immune cells.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...onuclear_cells

poster_3a6a61d7c9d4459dad76747e43b52e1e..png

Bufadienolides induce p53-mediated apoptosis in ESCC cells*

Shaohuan Lin, Junhong LV, Panli Peng, Changqing Cai, Jianming Deng, Haihong Deng, Xuejun Li, Xinyue Tang | 17 Jan 2022

Bufo is a group of over 150 species of toads. Nearly all of these contain a venom in their skin called bufotoxin, a mild psychedelic, and bufotenin, a tryptamine related to the neurotransmitter serotonin. The skin and glands of the toad Bufo bufo gargarizans Cantor exhibit wide-spectrum anti-cancer activities. However, the effects and mechanisms of bufadienolides on esophageal squamous cell carcinoma cells (ESCC) remain unknown.

In the present study, the anti-cancer activities of two bufadienolides - bufotalin and bufalin, were examined in vitro and in vivo. The results demonstrated that bufotalin and bufalin effectively inhibited the viability of ESCC cells.

However, bufotalin and bufalin exhibited lower toxicity towards Het-1A human esophageal squamous cells, indicating their high selectivity towards cancer cells. Mechanistic studies revealed that bufotalin effectively induced ESCC cell apoptosis, as characterized by DNA fragmentation and nuclear condensation, which was primarily mediated through activation of caspase family members. In addition, treatment of ESCC cells with bufotalin markedly activated tumor protein p53 phosphorylation. Collectively, the results suggest that bufadienolides exert anti-cancer effects against ESCC by regulating the p53 signaling pathway.

In conclusion, in the present study, the in vitro and in vivo anti-cancer efficacies of two bufadienolides (bufotalin and bufalin) were examined. The results demonstrated that bufotalin and bufalin effectively suppressed the viability of ESCC cell lines through induction of cell apoptosis, occurring through activation of the p53 signaling pathway. In addition, bufotalin demonstrated in vivo anticancer efficacy, where bufotalin markedly suppressed tumor growth through activation of the p53 signaling pathway.

*From the article here :

Last edited: