Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada's cannabis policy makes it an international rebel on drug treaties

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Canada's cannabis policy makes it an international rebel on drug treaties
Evan Dyer
CBC
December 20th, 2019
While many Canadians have focused on the supply problems and overly optimistic business projections that have marred Ottawa's marijuana legalization project, it's also left behind some international loose ends that still haven't been tied up.

Not all other countries have accepted Canada's right to forge a new path on cannabis law. And the ending of Canada's 95-year ban on cannabis appears to have accelerated the demise of a worldwide consensus and treaty regime that, for decades, underpinned the global war on drugs.

A year after legalization, Canada remains in flagrant violation of UN drug treaties that it signed — an uncomfortable situation for a country that likes to see itself as a stickler for international laws and treaties.

"The Government of Canada has contributed to weakening the international legal drug control framework and undermining the rules-based international order," says the UN's International Narcotics Control Board (INCB).

On Dec. 13, INCB President Cornelis de Joncheere reminded nations that the UN "has repeatedly and publicly spoken out that these (legalization laws) are in violation of the obligations under the conventions."
Read the full story here.

"The Government of Canada has contributed to weakening the international legal drug control framework and undermining the rules-based international order," says the UN's International Narcotics Control Board (INCB).

Even if it's not much, respect to Canada for going against the ridiculous 'international [dis]order' in question. Have these thugs nothing better to do with their time?

Lol who even gives a shit what they think anyway, let's be honest the UN is toothless, and a fucking drain on tax payers around the world to boot. There are few things that would make me happier than all the nation's of the world telling those useless parasitic bureaucrats to jump stumps.

Lol who even gives a shit what they think anyway, let's be honest the UN is toothless, and a fucking drain on tax payers around the world to boot. There are few things that would make me happier than all the nation's of the world telling those useless parasitic bureaucrats to jump stumps.

Well, there hasn't been a world war for 75 years, but I'm not sure whether it's because of UN or because nuclear weapons are so scary...

I never knew that there were un treaties and agreements on drug laws.
I know the u.s. pressured,bribed and coerced all other countries to make pot illegal for immoral corporate greed based reasons but to have the u.n.
try and say that a country is unable
to repeal unjust laws bcoz they've come to there senses and won't continue with the horror of prohibition is just depressing.to say it violates international treaties is fukd up

Treaty was signed in 1961. I am against the idea of signing up my great great grandchildren for a never ending war. There should only be national drug laws, not world wide laws. There is no penalty for just withdrawing from the treaty anyway, it is toothless. The UN should stop being involved in drugs and concentrate on human trafficking