• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Canada versus United States culture

Last time I did some good world traveling was some time ago now. I got to learn that at some points the rest of the world does not appreciate the demeanor that they think Americans have. I could see what they thought about us displayed on their faces when they learned where we were from. So I was usually very happy for all the times I was mistaken for a Canadian.

You know, what happens in the dark comes out in the light and when you make your own bed, deal with it. USA will never but never have something to own.

i like when im in Canada and i have a pocket full of change and it adds up to $20+ 🤑💰🪙

i like when im in Canada and i have a pocket full of change and it adds up to $20+ 🤑💰🪙
My first time in Canada was visiting my fiance and they still had movie rental stores back then. We rented 2 videos, I remember handing they guy $20 American and got back over $20 as change in Canadian. :D That however goes up and down but I remember being impressed. $2 coins are intelligent too. Still call the bills funny money to tease the wife. I keep asking who the old lady on a few of the bills is. lol

Last time I did some good world traveling was some time ago now. I got to learn that at some points the rest of the world does not appreciate the demeanor that they think Americans have. I could see what they thought about us displayed on their faces when they learned where we were from. So I was usually very happy for all the times I was mistaken for a Canadian.
I used to say I was from Canada to not get such bad gringo taxes. Then one day a pharmacist starts talking to me in French, had no idea what to do

Canada is a beautiful country. And I like the people. I grew up in Port Huron, MI and I could walk to the Blue Water Bridge that connects to Sarnia, Ontario in about 15 minutes. My Mom had many friends in Sarnia and a few in Toronto. She took me over there all the time to have lunch and visit. That's where I learned to use vinegar on my fish and chips. It's where I tasted my first LaBatts Blue beer and I even spent a month at my Moms best friends house. I always wanted to move to Canada and just never did. The only thing that ever bothered me is those Arctic air blasts and Polar Vortexes that come down through there. Michigan is cold enough without those little bastards marching through.

One time, I tried to sneak a friend with no passport and felony warrants into Canada. We put him in the trunk and covered him in shit. My car got flagged for extra inspection, and they searched and began to empty the trunk, then said it was so messy they were refusing the search and returning it to the USA, then got searched again in the USA, and they still didn't find him. 3-4 hours later we pull him out, drenched in sweat, almost dying.

We are very lucky all of our lives were not ruined and all very young and stupid.

I am in southern Ontario and I find that the culture here is very similar to the states below. I do realize that Canada has it it’s own unique cultures in different provinces, and especially up north which are far removed from southern ontario. The States has differences depending where you are geographically too.

In my experience, anytime I’ve been in the states there hasn’t really been a significant difference in the environments or people compared to what I see in Ontario. Our politics are a bit different, or a lot really. Our systems of governments are different. But overall, the towns in the cities look about the same, the people look the same, the stores are very similar, the streets look the same, our media is the same so culturally we are very similar. This is just in regards to southern Ontario.

This is my experience having been in both Canada and the United States many times. However I am in a bubble here being entirely from southern Ontario without much experience travelling elsewhere within Canada. Does anybody have any input here? Anybody from northern Canada or out east or west want to give any input? Or anybody at all.

What do you Americans think about us Canadians culturally? if you’ve been here can you describe the differences that you noticed?

I’m asking this to educate myself because I am likely very ignorant here. To promote a new type of discussion in this forum, and start a debate on a subject I think could fire some people up.

I do realize the politics are extremely different and find that the United States politics are very extreme compared to ours. Canadian politics are boring comparatively, because its not all played up like some reality show on a red carpet. Out politicians are granted full privacy here, no TMZ style shit happening here. Some Canadians actually want more transparency from their politicians and meanwhile, the USA politics are all this fucked smoke show. I barely believe a thing I hear from the US except that its totally broken and corrupt at the head.

Having said all of that that, I’m hoping to keep this discussion as apolitical ad possible, and more focussed on the cultural differences. What do you guys think?

Heres a start. A friend and I drove into town to go to Walmart. Walmart is a shit hole but tue price is right. That experience is mutual between us.

I have visited southern Ontario (1-2 hours from Michigan) several times, and I have to say it was very similar as you say. I had the impression that, at least that part of Canada, felt like the 51st US state in a way (the best one lol).

I've never been to any big cities, though, only rural areas.

If you have a DUI, you cannot enter Canada for ten years after conviction.

I’m from Baltimore, which is a relatively large city with its own distinct culture. I’ve also lived in DC, Key West, Scranton and Buffalo for short spells. While in Buffalo I would take trips to Toronto whenever I could. I’ve also been to Montreal, Halifax and Vancouver.

There are very little differences. You guys say your “outs” weird and are a lot more polite. One thing I did notice was that a lot of people there are very openly racist, despite there being very few black people and it doesn’t seem like anyone is talking about it. So, that was a bit odd. Oh and Toronto felt more hood then I expected from a city in Canada.

It’s the outskirt places that are the most different. Florida and Halifax. Those 2 places felt like another country to me. Oh, and if you ever come to America and decide you want an authentic experience, do it anywhere but California and Texas. Those 2 states should be their own countries. They’re huge and both have rather significant cultural differences from most other states.

I’m from Baltimore, which is a relatively large city with its own distinct culture. I’ve also lived in DC, Key West, Scranton and Buffalo for short spells. While in Buffalo I would take trips to Toronto whenever I could. I’ve also been to Montreal, Halifax and Vancouver.

There are very little differences. You guys say your “outs” weird and are a lot more polite. One thing I did notice was that a lot of people there are very openly racist, despite there being very few black people and it doesn’t seem like anyone is talking about it. So, that was a bit odd. Oh and Toronto felt more hood then I expected from a city in Canada.

It’s the outskirt places that are the most different. Florida and Halifax. Those 2 places felt like another country to me. Oh, and if you ever come to America and decide you want an authentic experience, do it anywhere but California and Texas. Those 2 states should be their own countries. They’re huge and both have rather significant cultural differences from most other states.
ayyyy got another dmv resident in the house.

I will second the notion that California is like another country... and I'd also add Florida to the list with Cali and Texas.

Visited Quebec a handful of times when younger (we would ride bikes about an hour north of Montreal).

I feel like people took food very seriously in that area. Really dig that vibe.

Spent a night in Victoria BC. Honestly seemed like Pacific Northwest but moreso.

Canadas some good shit.