• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Vancouver to seek federal approval to decriminalize simple possession of illicit drugs

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Vancouver to seek federal approval to decriminalize simple possession of illicit drugs
Karin Larsen
CBC
November 18th, 2020
Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart says he will ask the federal government to approve a plan to decriminalize simple possession of illicit drugs in the city.

The move comes as the overdose crisis shows no sign of slowing, with 2020 tracking to be the worst year on record with 328 overdose deaths in the city so far.

"Personal possession and use of drugs is not a criminal justice issue; it is a health issue," said Stewart. "It is time to end the stigma around substance use, help connect more of our neighbours to health care, and save lives."

If successful, Vancouver will become the first jurisdiction in Canada to decriminalize simple possession.

More than 1,500 lives have been lost to the overdose crisis in Vancouver since British Columbia declared it a provincial public health emergency in April 2016.
Read the full story here.

Nice to see another step in the right direction! I was shocked when I walked through Main / E. Hastings, I'd never seen anything like it :(

I heard about this on my drive home today. About time.

Weren't Crown prosecutors recently instructed not to prosecute drug posession crimes though? Did I misunderstand that? I hope not because I've been "open carrying" so to speak. 😉

Ok good because I've been brewing mushroom tea in public parks lately. "It's just mushrooms" ;)

Is the point here in Vancouver then to be able to instruct the VPD not to make arrests for posession?
Though I'm sure only the most bored officers would be doing so now knowing that they're wasting their time since there won't be any prosecutions.

I'm just wondering what the point of this is.

Is the point here in Vancouver then to be able to instruct the VPD not to make arrests for posession?
Though I'm sure only the most bored officers would be doing so now knowing that they're wasting their time since there won't be any prosecutions.

I'm just wondering what the point of this is.
I guess the issue is that the current prosecutorial directive, although quite expansive, is a strong suggestion more than a hard rule, and Vancouver's mayor and company believe that full, legislated decriminalization will do more toward helping attenuate the opioid crisis (presumably via drug possessors being more willing to seek help). Although I'm a strong supporter of decriminalization, I've always thought that the argument that it would significantly help with the opioid crisis was a tenuous one. The drugs are still going to be coming from the same sources.

All that said, I highly doubt that the federal government is going to give the entire city of Vancouver an exception to federal drug laws. This is obviously not something that is commonly done with criminal laws and would set a bad precedent, where cities demand piecemeal exceptions from this or that law.

Yeah, I don't see the feds giving an exemption to one city.

Do you think then that, maybe, a request from Vancouver, coupled with the noise coming from places such as Toronto city council, the Association of Chiefs of Police, and various corners of the medical sphere might push the feds to reconsider their apprehension to legislate decriminalisation?

Do you think then that, maybe, a request from Vancouver, coupled with the noise coming from places such as Toronto city council, the Association of Chiefs of Police, and various corners of the medical sphere might push the feds to reconsider their apprehension to legislate decriminalisation?
I don't know. I think it could take a while. Drug decriminalization just doesn't have the same popular support that cannabis legalization did. Like everything, they will only do it when they feel like they will get either a political gain or relatively little political loss from it. The Liberals do believe in drug decriminalization as evidenced by the fact that the party membership voted for it internally. The directive from the head prosecutor (ostensibly independently from the government, but of course she wouldn't have put it out under Harper) was in line with that. A way to get effective decriminalization without any political hit (not a whisper from the opposition about it).

I don't know. I think it could take a while. Drug decriminalization just doesn't have the same popular support that cannabis legalization did. Like everything, they will only do it when they feel like they will get either a political gain or relatively little political loss from it.

Yeah, in true Liberal fashion. Attain/retain power by all means necessary, no need for principles to get in the way.

Typical Canadian incrementalism....it could end up like our abortion "laws".