• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Toronto is getting its first safe drug supply sites — here's how they'll work

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Toronto is getting its first safe drug supply sites — here's how they'll work
Lauren Pelley
CBC
August 21st, 2020
Safe supply sites are set to open in Toronto for the first time — a shift that comes amid a worsening opioid overdose crisis, thanks to new funding from the federal government.

On Thursday, local MPs announced nearly $1.6 million in funds for harm-reduction efforts in the city, with close to $600,000 earmarked for a safer supply pilot project through a Parkdale-based organization.

The goal? Providing easier access to prescription opioids for drug users through existing community agencies, and potentially preventing deaths.

The sites will focus on agencies' existing clients, not the broader public. Those drug users will be able to gain prescriptions for hydromorphone tablets — a type of opioid — that they can pick up at a pharmacy, then take orally or inject.

Angela Robertson, executive director of the Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre, said it's a drug covered by the Ontario Drug Benefit program, so the majority of their clients who are on Ontario Works or disability support won't have to pay when picking up the prescriptions.
Read the full story here.

Why does America not do the same, instead they put you in jail for having a medical problem. Lets end the 50yr old war on drugs, which is not going to be won. They did the same thing with alcohol in the 20's and realized it would never work, the government needs to quit throwing money into this war.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that the Community Health Centre in Guelph has a project like this in the works as well. Take this an anecdote though, I cannot verify this information.

I am so jealous. My Dad is from Quebec and I'm pretty sure his dad's dad as well. How do the racial purity laws work in Canada?