Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Quebec's biker war started 25 years ago today

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Quebec's biker war started 25 years ago today
Paul Cherry
Montreal Gazette
July 13th, 2019
On July 13, 1994, three men walked into a motorcycle shop on Henri-Bourassa Blvd. E. in Rivière-des-Prairies and killed Pierre Daoust.

Daoust, a 34-year-old member of a Hells Angels support club called the Death Riders, was working in his Custom Cycle shop when the three men, whose faces were hidden by masks and a motorcycle helmet, called out to him twice to make sure they had the right guy. They proceeded to pump at least 16 bullets into Daoust, who was taken to a hospital and declared dead hours later.

Daoust’s murder received little media attention, but to many people involved in drug trafficking in Montreal a very clear message had been sent. In the months leading up to Daoust’s death, the Hells Angels issued an ultimatum: With very few exceptions, anyone dealing drugs in Montreal would have to buy from them, or else.

Several leaders of criminal organizations opposed to the ultimatum met weeks before Daoust was killed. They decided to band together and form a group they called the Alliance. The Alliance’s disdain for the Hells Angels’ monopolistic attitude touched off a conflict that continued until 2002 and resulted in the deaths of more than 160 people, including several innocent victims.

The Alliance acted swiftly during the summer of 1994. The day after Daoust was killed, someone tried to kill Normand Robitaille, a member of a Hells Angels support club. He survived the shooting and would go on to become one of the Hells Angels’ most powerful members in Quebec.
Read the full story here.

Quebec biker war's innocent victims: 'I never thought it would happen to my son'
Paul Cherry
Montreal Gazette
July 13th, 2019
The man believed to have been the last victim of Quebec’s biker gang war had nothing to do with the Hells Angels or drug trafficking.

On March 14, 2002, Yves Albert — a 34-year-old father of two young children — was fatally shot while fuelling up his car at a gas station in St-Eustache. Whoever shot Albert fled the scene before police arrived, but the Sûreté du Québec came up with a motive within hours.

Albert was driving the same type of car driven by Normand Whissel, one of the Rock Machine members who defied the Hells Angels and joined the Bandidos in January 2001. Albert and Whissel’s licence plates were almost identical, and the biker gang member lived close to where Albert was shot.

“(During the biker war) you would watch the news and hear about the murders, the shootings, the bombs and I would think ‘that’s sad,’ but I never thought it would happen to my son,” said Albert’s mother, Dolores Mallet. “He lived next door to me. I saw him every day. I asked myself how my son could have been a victim of this. But the police knew why right away.”

Two months before Albert was killed, an attempt had been made on Whissel’s life. In 2003, a close friend of Hells Angel Maurice (Mom) Boucher was charged with having conspired to kill Whissel, but no one has ever been charged in connection with Albert’s death.
Read the full story here.