• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Police chiefs call on federal government to decriminalize possession of illicit drugs for personal use

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Police chiefs call on federal government to decriminalize possession of illicit drugs for personal use
Peter Zimonjic
CBC
July 9th, 2020
As Canada continues to battle an opioid epidemic, the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police is calling on federal lawmakers to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of illegal drugs for personal consumption.

CACP's president, Chief Constable Adam Palmer, said it's time to rethink how police and governments approach the use and abuse of illegal drugs in order to save lives.

"Arresting individuals for simple possession of illicit drugs has proven to be ineffective. It does not save lives," Palmer said. "The CACP recognizes substance use and addiction as a public health issue. Being addicted to a controlled substance is not a crime and should not be treated as such.
Read the full story here.

I almost crashed my ride when I heard this come on the news on my way home from work today.

Friggin about time. And to have a premier endorse it as well is just more stoke value!

Unfortunately, I don't think it will be a priority for the federal government at this time.....I mean, it never was.

I immediately came in here to read this too. That is such great news, honestly. The first inkling that the status quo needs to change. I think what Canada has already done in terms of making hydromorphone and diacetylmorphine available for prescription, as an alternative to buprenorphine and methadone, was huge too.

Is this then like the Mexican model or is this like illicit meaning marijuana only?

I have cousins in Canada (Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan) so I could potentially move if need be

Curious as to what they consider personal amounts and addictive substances

Do psychedelics count?

In vancouver im pretty sure they havent cared about personal amounts for years for the most part, the legal change would be different though

Curious as to what they consider personal amounts and addictive substances

Do psychedelics count?

Something like 10g of mushrooms, for example, I'm sure.
Or 1g of MDMA

etc

If it's not all drugs then it's not worth talking about and I'm sure it's worth talking about, if you know what I mean. The drugs with the highest safety profiles should be allowed higher personal amounts from the start.....not that logic and reason were ever introduced into drugs policy here.

Is this then like the Mexican model or is this like illicit meaning marijuana only?

I have cousins in Canada (Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan) so I could potentially move if need be

Marijuana is already fully legal.

Long time no talk people!

Have had methadone take homes since the end of February. Quit benzos at the beginning ot April. Was rough. Still drinking beer daily and smoke bud a couple evenings per week. Day time smoking brings anxiety.

I hope to see some familiar names active.

Much love. Nostalgia is a beautiful double edged sword.

Always love to read about police chiefs or DEA veterans becoming enlightened. <3

They should do this in every country. Portugal was the first afaik and despite all the scaremongering (e.g. 'planes full of drug tourists will flood the country') it was a success and now people say it wasn't enough - which is true, the only logical way to solve what's possible to solve about the drug problem is a controlled legalization. Decriminalization would need to include the production/import of small-ish quantities as well as sale, maybe strongly limiting the tolerated margins and put penalties on cutting, advertising/sale to minors, etc.

The Netherlands as the flagship example about weed still hasn't solved their shizo policy of tolerated sale but illegal growing - they want(ed) to in Amsterdam region, need to read up.

Last edited:
Always love to read about police chiefs or DEA veterans becoming enlightened. <3

They should do this in every country. Portugal was the first afaik and despite all the scaremongering (e.g. 'planes full of drug tourists will flood the country') it was a success and now people say it wasn't enough - which is true, the only logical way to solve what's possible to solve about the drug problem is a controlled legalization. Decriminalization would need to include the production/import of small-ish quantities as well as sale, maybe strongly limiting the tolerated margins and put penalties on cutting, advertising/sale to minors, etc.

The Netherlands as the flagship example about weed still hasn't solved their shizo policy of tolerated sale but illegal growing - they want(ed) to in Amsterdam region, need to read up.
I'm glad that here in Canada we were able to leapfrog decriminalization of cannabis and go straight from prohibition to a legal marketplace. However, for other drugs I think an incremental approach (decriminalization as soon as possible, legalization in a more enlightened future) is more realistic.

Canada literally has progressive thinking leaders and that’s why it’s so hated. I’m here in southern US. The states that still call it the devils lettuce. One day maybe. One day. Hope that it progresses guys

Editorial: Ottawa should listen to police chiefs. Drug use is a health care problem, not a crime
The Globe and Mail
July 12th, 2020
Opioid overdoses killed 15,393 people in Canada from the start of 2016 through the end of 2019. That’s almost one death every two hours. Tens of thousands more required emergency care.

This health crisis has faded from view during the coronavirus pandemic, but it is far from over. At the epicentre in British Columbia, it is deadlier than ever. In May, 170 people died of illicit drug toxicity – by far the worst month on record.

Against the massive threat of COVID-19, Canada marshalled an all-in response. The cost was huge – an economic shutdown and an eye-popping federal deficit – but it has been worth it. As of last Friday, the virus had killed 8,799 people in Canada, the third-lowest death rate among Group of Seven countries. In the past several weeks, fewer than two dozen people a day have died, compared with several hundred each day in the spring.

Canada’s battle against the coronavirus shows we can douse a health crisis. It’s time to put a similar effort into the overdose crisis. There are no easy answers – and there is no single solution – but there are many policies at the ready, if we are willing to be bold.

Decriminalization of drug possession is one immediate measure. It is an idea that political leaders have rejected, but which has been widely backed by leading health officials, and almost a majority of Canadians.
Read the full editorial here.

Do US needs to follow suit on this one I think there’s like 80% of All the rest are in someway related to drugs

About time that the war on Drugs is over
News flashYOU LOST !!!!
100,000 of dead
Let’s put 10% of the Billions if not Trillion of $$ into recovery and legal and safe places to administer drugs. Making it illegal has not worked in 100 years
When the fuck will we wake up 😖😖

Marijuana is already fully legal.
Interesting. So this move would decriminalize hash

I don't know why hash and marijuana are considered separate drugs here. It's confusing. In some states, hash is available at dispensaries (at least based on what I've read here on bluelight), but not in California. I don't know about elsewhere. So even though neither form of THC are federally legal, it's local/state law that governs it

I love the smell of marijuana in the morning
smells like.......
Victory