• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - British Columbia authorizes nurses to prescribe safe alternatives to toxic street drugs

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
B.C. authorizes nurses to prescribe safe alternatives to toxic street drugs
Michelle Ghoussoub
CBC
September 16th, 2020
B.C. Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has issued a new public health order making it easier for people to access safe alternatives to toxic street drugs — a move advocates say is desperately needed as deaths from B.C.'s opioid crisis continue to climb.

The order, issued on Wednesday, authorizes registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses to prescribe pharmaceutical alternatives to street drugs "to help separate more people from the poisoned street drug supply to save lives and provide opportunities for ongoing care, treatment and support."

Until now, only doctors and nurse practitioners have been able to prescribe drugs, including substitute medications for illicit-drug users as an alternative to potentially deadly substances on the street.

Overdose deaths have spiked in B.C. since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. B.C. recorded 911 overdose deaths between January and July 2020. Over that same period of time, 195 people died of COVID-19.

More than 5,000 people have fatally overdosed in B.C. since the province declared a public health emergency in 2016. Before the pandemic, the number of fatalities had been on the decline for the first time since 2012.
Read the full story here.

So after 20 minutes of trying to get past all the bullshit media buzzwords like "toxic" or "poison" I'm still not entirely clear what this actually does.

Best I can tell is it gives the green light for nurses to prescribe opioids to people in withdrawal? Maybe?

That'd be awesome if it's true but using regular opioids to treat withdrawal symptoms seems far too sensible to be a real policy. :p

So after 20 minutes of trying to get past all the bullshit media buzzwords like "toxic" or "poison" I'm still not entirely clear what this actually does.

Best I can tell is it gives the green light for nurses to prescribe opioids to people in withdrawal? Maybe?

That'd be awesome if it's true but using regular opioids to treat withdrawal symptoms seems far too sensible to be a real policy. :p
Essentially, nurses are now allowed to prescribe opioid agonists (primarily hydromorphone) for maintenance to anyone with an addiction to street opioids.

Essentially, nurses are now allowed to prescribe opioid agonists (primarily hydromorphone) for maintenance to anyone with an addiction to street opioids.

Wow. That's awesome.

"Overdose deaths have spiked in B.C. since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. B.C. recorded 911 overdose deaths between January and July 2020. Over that same period of time, 195 people died of COVID-19."

-CRAZY INSANE-
-SAD-

That's great news and definitely needed. All of Canada is being hit hard. I know 4 people who passed away within the past 1-2 years from their heroin really being fentanyl