• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Can you mix Ambien and Klonopin?

daisy puffs

Greenlighter
Hey all! I'm new so I'm sorry if this topic has already been posted but I am hoping to get some answers soon so I can get some rest tonight. My doctor called me in half a mg of klonopin twice daily and I also have a script for Ambien. I am a hardcore insomniac even with the Ambien most nights.I usually have to take 30 mg to go to sleep. So I was wondering if it is safe to mix maybe 1 mg klonopin with with some Ambien? I also have a lot of anxiety issues. I don't have to be anywhere in the morning so grogginess isn't an issue the next day. The internet really hasn't provided me with any solid answers. I don't have other drugs in my system besides my bipolar meds and some mary jane.I don't have any pot right now or else I would use that for sleep.So what do you think guys? What effect can this potentially have on me? Thanks in advance.<3

switch to seroquil, there's no fighting it, you will gladly get in bed and stay there. Ambien (5mg, 10mg) laughs at me. the vitamin Ashwagandha puts me to sleep for 7 straight hours, then again I just got my first bottle

Is it safe idk I have done it on hundreds of occasions but I have a massive tolerance to benzos and ambien.. ymmv tread safely maybe start with the lowest dose of each and work up from there?

Hmm .. you can get away with what your suggesting but ONLY if you have a crazy tolerance to downers (in general). I've done that combo but at the time I could take 12mg of xanax and you wouldn't even know I'd done it.

To somebody who is new to either drug .. actuall who is anything less than crazy tolerant to both drugs - that combo is just asking for a hardcore visti from the zolpiden walrus .. probably with some risk of it being fatal.

If your tolerances are that bad .. I'd recommend getting a week or two off work and slowly working your dose sizes down. As those types of drugs tend to kindle (each withdrawal is worse) it pays to avoid any cold turkying or rapid dose reduction.

It's not dangerous, in the sense of life-threatening. As long as you don't mix any other GABA agonists (alcohol, mainly) or opioids, there shouldn't be any problem.

Zolpidem and clonazepan are very different though. Although both are GABA agonists Z-drugs (tehcnically not benzos) like zolpidem do work on the same receptors as benzos, they serve different purposes. Zolpidem is very short acting and used exclusively for insomnia, while clonazepam is a very powerful anticonvulsant with a long duration of action prescriped for e.g. epilepsy and anxiety. But yes, clonazepam would help for insomnia too, but I personally wouldn't use it for that purpose.

Have you and your doctor considered other options? Quetiapine, mirtazapine and doxepine are worth considering rather than clonazepam. They are non-addictive and you don't build tolerance to them the same you do with benzos or Z-drugs. I've used mirtazapine for 10+ years and its initial effect is still heavily sedating and puts me to a good sleep. You could also consider adding melatonin.

Last edited:
I was on this mix for years, didn't really find it helpful. Clonazepam tolerance takes something away from zolpidem (ambien) in terms of effect though. I'm immune to most medicine for sleep I think though, need something serious like a knock-out dose of GHB to put reliably to sleep.

SO. The quick answer is ABSOLUTELY. Personally, I can take, (not to get high but to get -sleep-) 2x 10mg melatonin. 1x Klonipin(Clonazepem 2mg). 3x Tizanidine. That will do for four hours or until my body destroys it. Which is usually 4 hours, perfect no hangover or grogginess.

Sometimes if I can get zolpidem, and let's be honest ALL of these medications are HALF as useless as they were before this *weird* sh*t going on right now w/ pharma worldwide, anyway, the zolpidem is SO WEAK I can take 3 or 4 and feel a bit tired. In case I have zolpidem I don't use the Tizanidine. (muscle relaxer)

The caveat here is NOT TO DRINK ALCOHOL at all. If you drink alcohol w/ any of these, you're going to fall injure yourself, or much much worse. So please just don't drink alcohol, and get in bed ASAP.

Hey all! I'm new so I'm sorry if this topic has already been posted but I am hoping to get some answers soon so I can get some rest tonight. My doctor called me in half a mg of klonopin twice daily and I also have a script for Ambien. I am a hardcore insomniac even with the Ambien most nights.I usually have to take 30 mg to go to sleep. So I was wondering if it is safe to mix maybe 1 mg klonopin with with some Ambien? I also have a lot of anxiety issues. I don't have to be anywhere in the morning so grogginess isn't an issue the next day. The internet really hasn't provided me with any solid answers. I don't have other drugs in my system besides my bipolar meds and some mary jane.I don't have any pot right now or else I would use that for sleep.So what do you think guys? What effect can this potentially have on me? Thanks in advance.<3

Hi and welcome to Bluelight.

Unfortunately theres a few wrong answers here. The answer is yes it's fine. Clonazepam is not a hypnotic benzodiazepine and is fine to take with zolpidem tartate (stilnox/ambien)

Temazepam,nitrazapam and Flunitrazepam ect is a different story.

For 4 years I was prescribed 2x2mg clonazepam (one before bed) as well as 10mg zolpiden.

I was on this mix for years, didn't really find it helpful. Clonazepam tolerance takes something away from zolpidem (ambien) in terms of effect though. I'm immune to most medicine for sleep I think though, need something serious like a knock-out dose of GHB to put reliably to sleep.
🫠🫠🫠GHB🫠🫠🫠

Hey @daisy puffs

You're not going to overdose and die from this combination. It will likely put you out quickly. I would seriously advise getting into bed and shutting the lights out after taking the medications. Whether you go down for sleep or not, you are likely to blackout fairly quickly as the drugs take effect.

Drugs from different classes consumed together often produce effects that are synergistic, that is, the sum of your intoxication is going to be greater. Another way of looking at this would be, your combination of 1+1 is going to equal 3 instead of the 2 that you might think it would. At any rate, this should be considered a potent cocktail.

I would highly, highly advise against doing this more than once in a blue moon when you have something important going on. If 30mg Zolpidem (Ambien) isn't knocking you out, the exact wrong move is to start increasing the potency of your sedation. Wherever it is you're wanting to go, this is not going to take you there. This sort of thing typically brings classical diminishing returns, with increased dosages of sedatives, worsening sleep patterns and greater side=effects from the sedatives.

If you think it's hard to sleep now, it can get much harder. I really only want you to be happy, so I'm hoping you take the advice to heart. This is basically a non-hazardous practice, but you need to be prepared for blacking out. I advise people to hide their car keys until they know how they're going to act. If anything, misadventure as a result of blacking out is likely your most imminent health concern with this combination, but tolerance and dependence should be right behind.

This is a question for your doctor. I'm sure he or she would be happy to tell you yes or no. Since she prescribed it to you and also prescribes your Ambien and she didn't tell you don't take them together. I would think that it's okay.