• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Can you inject in any vein on the arm?

get high

Bluelighter
Hi, I am new to injecting. I vaguely remember my friend telling me I can't inject into the two big veins that are indentical on both sides of my arms. They are the hugest veins on my arm, one on each of my arms. Can you inject there? Can you inject in ANY vein on your arm? Or can you not inject where I'm talking about. Thanks

I implore you not to even start with the needle.. it's a long desperate road.. but if you're going to, google a vein/atery chart, and familarize yourself with it..

the big vein on like the top of your wrist that goes a bit to the inside of your arm? I inject there literally ALL the time. if we're both talking about the same vein, it's fine.
you can usually inject into most any VEIN on your arm, but be wary of hitting an artery. and you do NOT want to inject into the veins visible on the underside of your wrist -- not only are the veins very small and close to surface there (easy to fuck up), but often what you're seeing there is both veins and arteries, so it's very easy to fuck up and hit an artery instead.

I would search for the characteristics of veins and arteries, so you can decipher which one you're using. Also get a micron filter plz!

In theory, you can inject drugs into any vein. The veins most "typically" utilized by addicts and medicals professionals alike are known as Peripheral Veins, meaning that they are not located in either the stomach or the chest. The veins used for IV injection are chosen based upon ease of access, health of the vein and if you're receiving an IV catheter, an attempt to locate said catheter in an area where the patient is less likely to bother it by say, rolling over in their sleep. This is why the top of the hand is a common choice for professionals. They shouldn't be for you, as a novice.

Back to the "ease of access" comment. The reason you always see folks going for the crook of their elbow (either the Basilic or the Cephalic, not everyone's veins are identically located) is that these veins are comparatively large and easy to find and access. In general, the larger the vein, the more robust and resilient it's going to be in the face of repeated injections i.e. not the veins in your hands.

In theory, the only veins you can't inject into aren't veins at all, they're arteries. The fact that arteries carry oxygenated blood under high pressure away from the heart, causes a lot of problems when they are hit. Not only is this extremely painful, but will probably require medical attention. An artery hit will generally consist of a sharp, intense pain and blood physically shooting up your syringe, not lazily entering like it would from a vein.

Luckily, arteries in general lie lower beneath the skin than veins, so it shouldn't be by any means a common occurence. It becomes more risky when you begin utilizing areas such as the neck and hands; areas where there are dense bundling of nerves/veins/arteries.

I would highly recommend against trying to teach yourself how to IV. It can be done, but it's a lot easier to just have someone show you how to do it.