• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Can you get high off caffeine ?

Tanner Blaze

Bluelighter
Sorry if this has been asked before somewhere, but I watched one of those 'Top 10 legal highs in America' videos and caffeine made the list. But can you really get 'high' from caffeine? I guess technically it is a drug but I never use energy drinks and only drink coffee occasionaly and have never seemed effected much.

Yes, it's possible. Although a few cups of coffee probably won't cut it unless you load it with creamer and sugar. It produces effects similar to any other stimulant high, though not as strong. It actually makes you jittery. You have to be careful with caffeine intake though because it increases your blood pressure, heart rate & can dehydrate you and you don't want that! Just drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated and don't involve yourself in a lot of physical exertion. The crash is the same as any typical stimulant though.

Depends what you consider a high- caffeine is not only weaker than other stimulants, it also doesn't release dopamine really (or at least not nearly as much as say cocaine or amphetamines) which is why no megadose of caffeine will equal cocaine, for example. Its effects depend on the other brain chemicals released by stimulants such as adrenaline. So if you try taking huge amounts of caffeine to chase the buzz associated with stimulants that are big dopamine releasers you will end up jittery, nervous, could have more severe negative effects etc. So yes, it is a psychoactive substance but don't try to chase a amphetamine type high by taking a ton of it.

I take pretty high doses of caffeine a day. I use to chug espresso but switched to caffeine pills to make it easier, not increase my dose but understand it better.

I take 400-600mg of caffeine between the hours of 8am-11am and somewhere around 400mg I get noticibly "buzzed" not like feeling wise but like "I am going to stop continuing my convocation after this sentence because look at how fast and annoying I must seem right now" so kind of like if you catch yourself going on and on when your on amphetamines and you can tell the other person is annoyed. I'm good at telling when I am doing that but that and racing heart are the only effects I get if I ingest caffeine too quickly.

Like I said it should be noted that its not always like that for me and I usually keep the doses lower but if I don't sleep well and over compensate I can be a fast talking jittery mess with no euphoria if anything a slight dyphoria (or whatever the opposite effect is) It's not a "high" in the sense you want to achieve too much caffeine it can happen and when it does you don't get a say in how you feel so in that way it is a "high"

Yeah, it can be good. I find it's best when combined with fast-paced music while writing. Not entirely a high, though, more just like motivation and stuff.

Side effects can be very unpleasant, though.

I wouldn't consider it a high because it doesn't bring about any euphoria. It just makes me jittery and my heart race.

Depends what you consider a high- caffeine is not only weaker than other stimulants, it also doesn't release dopamine really (or at least not nearly as much as say cocaine or amphetamines) which is why no megadose of caffeine will equal cocaine, for example. Its effects depend on the other brain chemicals.

^ Hit it right on point

If you don't have a tolerance. If you have a tolerance you need to use higher doses which leads to more side effects. It's mostly a shit high either way. When I had nothing else to compare it too it was all right. Some meditators, shamans, gurus, etc would use caffeine as a spiritual drug and it can be pretty good in this aspect but I don't consider this just the caffeine itself but using meditation and breathing techniques with it can be very interesting.

I'd be curious as to what else they put- personally I wouldn't even have put it on the list. I would have basically listed RCs other than maybe phenibut, kratom, and alcohol

One time I was so thirsty, I drank two cans of Monster energy (a liter). I usually don't use caffeine, no coffe, no energy drinks. It was cold it felt good in summer on a train.

I didn't realize what I did, untill 15 minutes passed. I wouldn't call it a "high" but my mindstate was different. I just noticed things that I usuallly don't. I heard the sound of a clock, and every little noise around me. My hearing was different, I don't know if you play any GTAV, but I'd compare it to Michael's time slowing special ability. Like I had more time the check out my environment than I do usually. I became a lil' bit paranoid, but my buddy were with me, he helped me to chill out.

I wouldn't call it a pleasent memory (not a horrible one neither), it just doesn't worth the extra work your heart has to do.

When I was at the salvation army rehab I worked in the kitchen and I would drink 20 or more cups a day. If that's not a mega dose I don't know what is. I used it to counter some of the lethargy suffered from PAWS (was in recovery for opiates). At those doses it did get me up and moving but at night I'd crash like a mother fucker and received no euphoria from it! That's not including the four or five cappuccinos I'd drink working the canteen at night,shit I'd abuse anything huh?

Not if you're tired, then it just makes you feel a little more awake (although this wears off fast IME)

If you're in a normal state and you consume 300+ mgs, it can be pretty good, though. Although high doses lead me to get all sweaty and shaky, and I crash HARD on caffeine. I pass right the fuck out.