• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Can you die from pure MDMA?

Fijn

Greenlighter
A little while ago, I saw an article (I don't remember where) saying a teenage girl had died after taking 2 doses of TESTED mdma at a friend's house (so not a rave or anything). She took one dose, didn't feel anything soon enough (I can't remember how long she waited, but this leads me to believe this wasn't (pure) mdma and this was just a bullshit article) and took another dose, which caused her to die.

I know you can overdose on mdma, but not before you have taken around 5 grams, which is about 25 times more than the girl from the article took. I also doubt she died from overheating, since she took it at a friend's house and the article didn't mention anything about overheating. The only other way you can die after taking mdma that I know of is if you drink too much water, but this is very rare and the article didn't mention anything about this either.

So can you actually die like this form mdma?
Or was this article just a scare article?

I recall reading a long time ago that a very small percentage of the population has a mutation that impacts the CYP2D6 liver enzyme that processes MDMA. Those individuals may be more at risk for overdose due to the lack of the enzyme. This is similar to how certain drugs will inhibit that enzyme (for example, the prescription Celebrex), and in those cases an individual may overdose from a small amount of MDMA.

I witnessed this once, sadly. A friend of mine was on celebrex for a knee injury and was at a party. She took the same ecstasy as everyone else (pills that were MDA). She took the same amount as everyone else. However, she ended up turning blue and having a seizure but everyone else was fine. She had to be rushed to the ER. It later came out that she was on celebrex and that it was a CYP2D6 inhibiting drug. (She did make a full recovery, fortunately.)

So, while it is possible, I think it is more than likely due to an individual genetic factor.

Another possibility is that her first pill took too long, and she took a second but different pill and the ingredients of the two pills contraindicated each other. If the pills were just reagent tested, they may have looked like they were positive for MDMA, but could have been mixed with anything.

A little while ago, I saw an article (I don't remember where) saying a teenage girl had died after taking 2 doses of TESTED mdma at a friend's house (so not a rave or anything). She took one dose, didn't feel anything soon enough (I can't remember how long she waited, but this leads me to believe this wasn't (pure) mdma and this was just a bullshit article) and took another dose, which caused her to die.

I know you can overdose on mdma, but not before you have taken around 5 grams, which is about 25 times more than the girl from the article took. I also doubt she died from overheating, since she took it at a friend's house and the article didn't mention anything about overheating. The only other way you can die after taking mdma that I know of is if you drink too much water, but this is very rare and the article didn't mention anything about this either.

So can you actually die like this form mdma?
Or was this article just a scare article?
A long time ago I read a seemingly legitimate but very brief account of German WW2 experiments with MDMA on German test subjects. In this case a man died from 3.5 grams of MDMA.

I dont know or recall whether it was oral or injected though. Injecting should require a far lower fatal dose. In which case, 3.5 grams injected maybe equivalent to 5 grams oral.

But yep, pure MDMA- CAN kill you, dont be fooled by its sweetness.

I recall reading a long time ago that a very small percentage of the population has a mutation that impacts the CYP2D6 liver enzyme that processes MDMA. Those individuals may be more at risk for overdose due to the lack of the enzyme. This is similar to how certain drugs will inhibit that enzyme (for example, the prescription Celebrex), and in those cases an individual may overdose from a small amount of MDMA.

I witnessed this once, sadly. A friend of mine was on celebrex for a knee injury and was at a party. She took the same ecstasy as everyone else (pills that were MDA). She took the same amount as everyone else. However, she ended up turning blue and having a seizure but everyone else was fine. She had to be rushed to the ER. It later came out that she was on celebrex and that it was a CYP2D6 inhibiting drug. (She did make a full recovery, fortunately.)

So, while it is possible, I think it is more than likely due to an individual genetic factor.

Another possibility is that her first pill took too long, and she took a second but different pill and the ingredients of the two pills contraindicated each other. If the pills were just reagent tested, they may have looked like they were positive for MDMA, but could have been mixed with anything.
Wow, I'm glad she made it then. But MDA shouldn't be present in a normal ecstasy pill right? I'm pretty sure it's an MDMA imitator and far more toxic than MDMA.

But you're probably right. It must've been a unique situation where the girl from the article died because of a rare mutation related to MDMA.

A long time ago I read a seemingly legitimate but very brief account of German WW2 experiments with MDMA on German test subjects. In this case a man died from 3.5 grams of MDMA.

I dont know or recall whether it was oral or injected though. Injecting should require a far lower fatal dose. In which case, 3.5 grams injected maybe equivalent to 5 grams oral.

But yep, pure MDMA- CAN kill you, dont be fooled by its sweetness.
That was probably oral ingestion then. 3,5 grams is in the same order of magnitute as 5 grams and I think that you would need a lot less than 3,5 grams to overdose it you'd inject it instead of eating it.

Fijn, back in the early 2000s, MDA pills were common and sought after for their lengthier and more intense effects. It was not considered an imitator, but a preferable alternative by some people.

Of course. You can OD just like any other drug. It's actually pretty easy to OD with it in pill form because they strength and purity are very inconsistent.

Yes. Some people are very sensitive heart-wise to stimulants. Death happens sometimes when taking MDMA. Google is your friend.

In one study in the UK, of 81 deaths where MDMA was present, only six died from simple MDMA toxicity/overdose. The leading causes of actual MDMA-related death are complications of “malignant hyperthermia/hyperpyrexia”…what most people would call Heatstroke.

Yes MDA is a truly amazing substance. Way more psychedellic, longer lasting, stronger per dose, more speedy. Less empathogenic too as we know well
It is a shame about its higher neurotoxicity.

And I definitely echo @indigoaura 's assertion- no way an immitator. Personally I think MDMA may just pip MDA on the podium but not by much. Due to lower neorotoxicity, but also surely greater potential for psychotherapy and unlocking emotional blockages and healing relationships etc, which I don't believe MDA possesses quite as much potential for.

The classic original Snowballs were 200mg MDA.

Mdma is well known and has its place.
Mda is a wonderful drug that has slightly different and longer effects as noted above.
Mdea is also wonderful but very different again. It is more stoning and devoid of any energy. It also requires a higher dose than mdma.

Both were available circa 2000s and not considered adulterants in pills. Personally i sought all three in crystal form and found the effects pleasurable but for different moods and sceanrios. They are good alternatives to mdma as long as one knows they are not mdma

Some people die from pure aspirin. Some people die from wasp stings. Some people die from peanuts. Some people die from putting their trousers on People can die from anything. High purity of a substance does not preclude the possibility of death.

If you take a large enough dose you could, but it would probably still be more of a death by heat/and or not having enough water.

Some people die from pure aspirin. Some people die from wasp stings. Some people die from peanuts. Some people die from putting their trousers on People can die from anything. High purity of a substance does not preclude the possibility of death.

This is my though exactly.

Is this a joke? Of course you can die from MDMA. It’s an amphetamine, technically a methamphetamine...mhm, is it possible to overdose on an extremely powerful stimulant? Duh. And even more likely if the individual had a pre-existing heart condition.

There was a case near me a few years ago where a girl died, similarly, after taking 2 full pills.

People don’t realize how potent these stims are though I don’t think. Teslas, for example, are dosed at roughly 250mg a pill which is fucking insane and WAY more than anyone needs in one dose.

Half a gram of amphetamine in a novice user likely wouldn’t kill most people but it’s definitely not that far fetched at all IMO. Especially if the pills contained other substances like meth or PMA.

Yes, you can die from anything, even too much water. Youngsters have been known to die after ingesting even a single mdma pill. However, this outcome is highly unlikely statistically.

Fijn, back in the early 2000s, MDA pills were common and sought after for their lengthier and more intense effects. It was not considered an imitator, but a preferable alternative by some people.

Indeed, I prefer MDA over MDMA any day. Also MDA was available for recreational use in the 70s, earlier than MDMA. MDMA was actually the one to come later. MDA is somewhat more toxic but it's more intense and way more psychedelic and fun in my opinion.

But yeah you can die from pure MDMA, for sure. You'd have to take a lot but it could shut down your kidneys or give you a heart attack or perhaps kill you in some other way.