• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can you cut a fentanyl patch in half and save it for later?

Depends on the brand and if it's a gel patch, etc.
What kind of patch do you have?

It would be better if it was sealed in packaging inside a plastic bag if it is a matrix style while a gel style may release it all at once leading to an OD. If it's a matrix style you can use transparent medical tape to keep the unused half attached.

Matrix (non-gel) type -- the ones that look like a big sticker-- are fine to cut into half, quarters, or whatever you want. Just cut it first then just peel off the backing on the one you're going to use. Leave whatever you aren't using as is, you don't need to do anything else to it.

Gel ones are a problem because you can't evenly split the gel --even if you seal up the open ends , you don't know how much is in each side

They were the adhesive kind, not the gel (I've always preferred the adhesive ones anyway).
Aha ha haha hah! Oh that was a good laugh... Both matrix and gel types are "adhesive," which describes the glue used to make the patch stick. Gel is a thicker patch with a gel resivoir that leaks out while the matrix is a flat surface that holds the substance evenly and honestly I have no clue how it slowly releases over 3 days.

Yeah. It should never be cut up and ingested if you don't have the tolerance of a veteran junkie. With the 100mcg patches, I always cut them up into at least 16 pieces and injest them slowly over the course of 24hrs. The only time wearing one ever worked for me was the very first time I've tried fentanyl. When I tried to wear one again while expecting the same results, I found myself very disappointed and wound up taking it off to eat it. Even though fentanyl is deemed the strongest opiate, it just doesn't take the cake in the euphoria department, if you ask me (but sometimes you gotta make do if its all you can get for relief).