• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs Can you become completely tolerant to the sedative effects of banzos?

JackieChan

Bluelighter
I've had a prescription for Xanax for ~12 years, I used it responsibly and it never became a problem until I started with stimulants (mostly 2-FMA) and began having to take considerably more xanax (and eventually other RC benzos) to get to sleep.
Got into that nasty stim/benzo cycle, but luckily was able to get myself out of it (I'm no longer dependent on either). (I don't recommend ANYONE EVER getting into this cycle... it can ruin your life).

However, with my job ( I own a mobile automotive and marine detailing company), sometimes I just can't do the 12 hour straight days and keep the quality consistent, and I'll resort to RC stims (lately 3-FPM and Ethylphenidate) or sometimes Adderall to get through.

The thing is, whereas I used to be able to basically knock myself out with either Xanax or RC benzos, they just don't seem to have that effect on me anymore.
I don't make this a regular habit of course, and never plan to again, but lately, I've taken up to 10mg clonazeLAM, which by all accounts should absolutely knock me on my ass, and couldn't even sleep. And it's not like I have some crazy benzo tolerance; I'm not even dependent on it, and I hardly ever drink. From what I understand clonazolam is pretty much the "heaviest" RX benzo out there.
I also recently tried Etiz, which used to work nicely, but I went through a ~50mg solution in one night trying to get to sleep to no avail.

So I'm wondering, is it possible to become tolerant to the sedative effects of drugs? Benzos, RC or prescription, still work wonders for anxiety, but they just don't give me that heavy, can't keep my eyes open feeling anymore, which, as unhealthy as it may be, I quite enjoyed, and needed at times.

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks.

Yeah, if you've taken benzos for 12 years imo it's possible.

I guess you know, but if you quit taking benzos cold turkey you'll most likely seize and you could die

well if ur taking a stim midway through the day that might be the issue... take a stim when u wake up, then try a benzo at night. dont take a stim at 2 pm and expect to fall aslkeep

I've had a prescription for Xanax for ~12 years, I used it responsibly and it never became a problem until I started with stimulants (mostly 2-FMA) and began having to take considerably more xanax (and eventually other RC benzos) to get to sleep.
Got into that nasty stim/benzo cycle, but luckily was able to get myself out of it (I'm no longer dependent on either). (I don't recommend ANYONE EVER getting into this cycle... it can ruin your life).

However, with my job ( I own a mobile automotive and marine detailing company), sometimes I just can't do the 12 hour straight days and keep the quality consistent, and I'll resort to RC stims (lately 3-FPM and Ethylphenidate) or sometimes Adderall to get through.

The thing is, whereas I used to be able to basically knock myself out with either Xanax or RC benzos, they just don't seem to have that effect on me anymore.
I don't make this a regular habit of course, and never plan to again, but lately, I've taken up to 10mg clonazeLAM, which by all accounts should absolutely knock me on my ass, and couldn't even sleep. And it's not like I have some crazy benzo tolerance; I'm not even dependent on it, and I hardly ever drink. From what I understand clonazolam is pretty much the "heaviest" RX benzo out there.
I also recently tried Etiz, which used to work nicely, but I went through a ~50mg solution in one night trying to get to sleep to no avail.

So I'm wondering, is it possible to become tolerant to the sedative effects of drugs? Benzos, RC or prescription, still work wonders for anxiety, but they just don't give me that heavy, can't keep my eyes open feeling anymore, which, as unhealthy as it may be, I quite enjoyed, and needed at times.

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks.

Hi JackieChan,

we've got exactly the same "problem".

Since 2008 I used Xanax recreationally, also Oxazepam, Flunitrazepam, Bromazepam, Lorazepam.... but last year i said HELLO to RC-Benzos - Flualprazolam, Etizolam, 3-Hydroxyphenazepam, Clonazolam and Flubromazolam.

These are the strongest and most dangerous benzos and the problem is, once you take them, it shoots your tolerance up to a level that's not human anymore. I see it with myself.

Pharmabenzos like my favourite Xanax I just feel sedative if I take them on an empty stomach without doing Clonazolam or Flubromazolam - and i have to admit that my tolerance is even much more higher than yours - which is a big problem.

You will not believe if i tell you that i can easily take 20 - 40 mg Clonazolam, the same with Flubromazolam. These are my favourite Rcs now.

I know I'll anytime get the bill for it but before this happens I anytime will try to taper off.

I'm a functional junkie, I go to work every day and during the week I take very less just to sleep or i smoke Cannabis.

But on weekends, holidays or the Corona-Staying-At-Home of course I use them in high doses.

My doctor quits his practice so I just went there and ask for more because I have to find another one which is not easy here. No problem 2 Packs .5 Xanax. Wow.

The Benzos work for sure but you don't feel it anymore like the years before.

I just can suggest to make brakes from the RCS from time to time because otherwise you will get messed up, and who want's this.... Neither me.

JOehJoEh

My grandfather took alprazolam for 40 years up to 4mg a day for epilepsy and seemed to tolerate it very well, although not working anymore. So I believe, like with amphetamine, that the brain's plasticity somehow adapts yo the compound but still makes the best out of it, as long as there is no abuse. The neuron's composition stays the same so the way things work should stay put even in long term use. Tolerance is often due to desensibilisation of synapses due to loss of neurotransmitters or neurotoxicity, or adaptation of other parts of the brain rebalancing the effects undergone by another due to drug use. But becoming totally immune to the effects, in this case medicinal seems unlikely in my opinion.

'I combined downers with stims on regular base and now they're not working anymore.'
#Thread :p

haha LOL....no what's funny about it?

An extremely high tolerance - okay. Like me, I had 50 mg Clonazolam and Flubromazolam mixed and the sedative effects are very low.

But NO effect - can't believe. I'm working in the medical sector - what if you have a bad injury or a surgery?

you can become tolerant to the sedative effect. just because it doesn't make you feel sleepy doesn't mean it's not affecting you anymore. there have been lots of times where i thought i was sober as could be, and people were telling me i was slurring. almost always on clonazolam, which is tricky because it's strong but not that sedating compared to some of the others in the first place.

10mg of clonazolam is a lot, even if others have gotten higher. once you get in that territory, you're on your own when it comes to getting off because no doc will write a valium script equal to 10mg of clonazolam. of course you can taper yourself down to 1mg and then get help to finish off the taper, which is the hardest part anyway.