• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

can someone tell me

I want to make a few points about Stilnox. Stilnox / zolpidem has been heavily marketed as being "safer" than benzodiazepine hypnotics, because of claims it causes less dependency and is less abused than benzo's. There have not been a lot of studies to examine this statement, but there is evidence that these claims may be exaggerated.

This case study describes (in very poor English) symptoms of dependence in two users: Dependence on zolpidem: a report of two cases]. It is worth noting that they describe both facets of dependence occurring - firstly they both used escalating doses of the drug, and second both had a withdrawal syndrome on cessation of the drug.

This study looked at the incidence of rebound insomnia (where a person can't sleep after stopping regular use of a hypnotic): Zolpidem is not superior to temazepam with respect to rebound insomnia: a controlled study. It found Stilnox no better than temazepam in regards to the frequency of rebound insmonia.

This analysis found that Stilnox has potential to cause dependency, but less so than benzo's, and that it is more likely in people with a history of drug or alcohol use or other psychiatric disorders: Abuse and dependence potential for the non-benzodiazepine hypnotics zolpidem and zopiclone: a review of case reports and epidemiological data.

The medical world is only just catching on to the fact that people are also abusing Stilnox for its hallucinogenic effects.

I think Stilnox is safe for occasional use, but so are benzodiazepines. But neither Stilnox, Imovane / zopiclone or benzodiazepines are without risks if you take them every day. When you consider that Stilnox costs you about 3 times as much per pill as temazepam (or more depending where you buy them), I know which I'd rather use. Given the huge profits Stilnox is making its manufacturer, it is in their interest to continue to advertise Stilnox as being preferable to benzodiazepines.

maybe what you need is to talk to a counsellor or a friend instead of drugs.... albeit legal ones....

that way you get a long term solution instead of a short term fix. :)

excelant post there superbabydoc, great MOD'ing.

Stilnox is a dangerous drug indeed. moderation is essential.

Jimity said:
Diphenhydramine is the bomb. Sleeping agent AND Hallucinogenic. Can't go wrong.

[Edit: Source query removed. Please review the Posting Guidelines. BigTrancer]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have experienced to sickness, lack of sleep, and vomitting after a big break up. Dont worry about it. If you realy need to function normaly at the moment (exams? etc) talk to a doctor but from my experience just live it out. Remember if you dont take any drugs and cant sleep it can only go on for so long before you crash. It will eventualy sort itself out and you will be OK, maybe let some emmotions out talk to someone or if you feel uncomfortable with that take yourself out into a park / bush and have a bit of a think / cry / scream whatever it takes.

I went to my gp yesterday, I've never asked him for sleeping pills or valium or anything like this. But after going through the last of 5 filed ivf attempts ending in no pregnacies, I was feeling a little down and out of control. I guess I wanted him to prescribe something to help me to sleep or feel better or something, but he just advised me to take any one of three sample packs of antidepressants, which I do not want to take because I feel I am just going through a tempory stage of feelings of loss and grief. I guess I was disapointed but more so angry when he told me that if I didn't want to take the medication there was nothing he could do for me. I have still been having no sleep and needed maybe something to calm down I didn't ask him directly for the pills but he just wanted me to take these antidepressants. I have done that before and I reckon they sent me madder at the time and weaned myself of the stuff. I don't believe I need antidepressants and wondered how much pain and grief you have to go through to get some ligitimate help for a short term problem. I don't abuse any sleeping pills or valium or anything like that I thought they would just help temporarily. Anyway I left there feeling like I was mad because thats the conclusion he gave me I feel worse.

^^ go see another doctor. I personally would find a second opinion of my doctor stated that there was only one single option that I had for a situation where I know there are others. They're not all the same, and you'll prolly have better luck.

I personally wouldnt ask for anything by name. Especially valium/xanax etc. That can come across as tho you're just keen to pick up a script for something they dont necessarily want to give away. Go to another doctor, explain you situation, be honest and tell them you havent been sleeping and why. My doctor was really receptive, tho in no way would prescribe me anything with any kind of addiction potential.

stace.

VelocideX said:
melatonin knocks me out like a mofo....
3mg is usually enough
6mg and i wake up like 10 hrs later groggy

I've been trying out melatonin over the last few days, having tried 3mg in the past and finding it inneffective I took 9mg the first night, worked wonders, seeing as the stuff is expensive ($70 for 100x3mg capsules) I've been taking 6mg since to see if that's effective enough, first night on 6mg also worked wonders but in the 2-3 days since while it has been helping me get to sleep I've been finding myself waking in the middle of the night and sleeping for 10+ hours and waking feeling tired (as opposed to the 7-8 hours the first two nights waking feeling fully refreshed etc).. going to try 9mg again tonight and if that doesn't help me I'm going to discontinue using it (it's my sisters prescription, she takes 3mg and finds it very helpful).

thanks for reply stace, time will heal anyway, i'm just hangin in there i'm sure eventually i will get so tired I will sleep. But definately feeling better today just was a bit angry with doctor 'cause i really just needed someone to talk to and was just mad that he was too willing to put me on the antidepressants.