• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can other opiates be taken during tramadol wiithdrawal? Thanks much!

crisler

Bluelighter
Can oxycodone be taken while discontinuing a small tramadol habit? (250mg/day for ~3 months). I have taken it before I use them like once a monthish, I have 150mg of it in the form of ten mg percs. I was thinking during the first days of this tramadol withdrawal I can take ~10mg every 4 hours for a few days so that the withdrawal symptoms are drastically reduced possibly eliminated, and then when I run out of the 150mg, which should take 4 to 5 days, I should be able to discontinue the OC and be able to handle the last couple days of the withdrawals very easily.

Is my reasoning correct? ^ Oxycodone should help me with aches, GI issues, and things like that for tramadol withdrawal is what I am thinking. And once done those 4 to 5 days with the OC to help me around the clock, I should be able to discontinue the OC without much tramadol withdrawal left except for the post-acute stage which I am not afraid of, I can ahndle depression lol. Just not diarrhea and restless legs. Thanks whoever can help me, much appreciated!

Oxycodone is a much stronger medication than tramadol its not really a great idea as theres a risk of you getting addicted to oxy whitch is a whole new demon, it may not be an all terrible idea though if you do it right, first thing first the diarea you should use loperamide through out the day and you should not dose the ocycodone untill you are ready for bed for the restless legs and should only do that in one single dose at bed time if you plan on using the oxy if you use it throughout the day youll be getting use to the feeling of oxy and will get withdrawls from that too and most likely will end up either buying more or buying more tramadol to face the oxy withdrawl, but like i said switching to a harder drug is never a good idea, i reccomend maybe trying kratom to help get off the tramadol thats what i used when i weaned off a 900 mg+ a day habit 3-400 mg doses a few times each day and kratom helped with every single withdrawl symptom but like i said if you use the oxy id keep it to a one dose per day at night. Goodluck!

Of course it will help.... Don't use more than ten mg every 4-6 hours if you're really trying to quit.... If 5 mg is enough than just do that.

I don't see this working... People have withdrawal symptoms off habits as small as 10 mg oxy a day... I would taper the tramadol if you could, if not then the choice is yours. You would be upgrading your habit by even taking any oxy at all imo.

So you guys think 4 days of oxycodone use will give oxycodone withdrawal? My will is strong I a not mentally addicted to either drug, I just am afraid of the tramadol withdrawal and thought OC would be a powerful aid. I will not switch from tram to OC i know it may be hard to believe me lol but I have had these percs for about a year and have done them less than 5 times. I have never taken a med consecutively until tramadol from Jan 2016 to now.

So given the factor that using OC will not become a new habit, is this plan ok? Is the logic right? Oxycodone should take away tramadol withdrawal symptoms quite a bit. I didnt want to taper because I feel like if I just knock it out now I can get it over with in one week.

200 mg of Tramadol is roughly 10mg Morphine. Your habit is 250mg Tramadol a day roughly. So 250mg Tramadol=25mg Morphine=15 mg Oxycodone.
For simplicity sake, the half life of tramadol is 7hours. There is roughly 12 hallf lifes you need to concern yourself with. 7hrs=50%, another 7hrs 50% of 50%=25% 7 more hours is 50% of 25%=12.5 etc. 250mg of Tramadol=25mg of morphine which is roughly 15mg of Oxycodone, Split those 10's into 5's and if your using Percocet 5mg, the first day maybe 5mg every 6hr's. The second day, decrease it by at least half to a whole 5mg Percocet, Bottom line is you taper quickly. You should be off them all, by the end of the week at most,

Well I am flying through cold turkey off of tramadol with ease not one withdrawal symptom except minor nausea when I drink water. But I am taking 10mg oxycodone every 6 hours, so far 10mg at 9am today, just now at 2:40pm, and I will once more at bed time. I am feeling great. I will try to rephrase my question no one is rly understanding what I am trying to figure out.

During this period of cold turkey without tramadol (after months consecutive daily usage), am I avoiding withdrawals with this oxycodone plan for combatting the tram w/d symptoms. When I stop the OC on about day 5 without any tram will I have surpassed the days 1 thru 5 of the withdrawal.

OR

Am I not detoxing the tram at all by CT with the oxycodone, and withdrawals from tram haven't started yet even though I will be several days clean of it (forever btw, I quit). Hope someone can understand this badly worded question I am trying to ask. Thanks much in advance whoever understands what I'm asking! <33

Opiate is a opiate no matter what it is. Receptors may be different but still trying to use another opiate for opiate WD is same as fighting fire with fuel.

IMO loperamide for diarrhea and clonazepam for restless legs and anxiety works wonders if you manage to keep clonazepam doses low.

OP, I explained how it works. I gave you approx. strengths, half life's. What didn't I make clear? Anyone else think I'm far off? I'll be more than happy to correct any misinformation. Add up the tramadol half lives. The Tramadol half life is roughly 7 hours.
7 hours. X roughly 12 times to clear completely out of the body. Your looking at a solid 4 days of withdrawals. You might as well make it 5 - 7 for a comfy withdrawawl/'

Last edited:
All you are doing is postponing the withdrawal. Of course you're "sailing through" --the ship hasn't left yet!!

You are taking a more powerful opioid. You probably feel great!

But I hate to tell you, when you stop the oxy the withdrawal symptoms are going to start right at day1. Except for the antidepressant component of the Tramadol (that you have started detoxing). But the opioid component of the Tramadol wd you are postponing by taking the oxy.

I would try to just get thru the Tramadol wd. Maybe take an oxy at night if you really can't sleep. But you really can't just take a stronger opioid round the clock and think 5 days later you'll be good to go. It doesn't work that way. When the mu receptor is deprived of an agonist, it goes into wd. Doesn't matter what the agonist is. You are currently providing one (oxy) in place of the usual Tramadol. It's when you don't provide one at all that your wd will start....

But right now you're like someone who had a habit of a few percs and started taking heroin to taper off ...

^This! You are shooting pigeons with a cannon. Using Oxy to combat Tramadol WD is just taking your opioid addiction to a whole new level.
No offense but this is pretty stupid. You don't take Heroin to ease Kratom withdrawals either and I assure you that the WD from the Oxy will be much harder than the Tramadol WD.

I can understand that the Serotonine-aspect of Tramadol is hard to deal with, compared to the opioid WD aspect in my opinion it is the harder part of it but taking Oxy for a 250mg Tram-habit will just make things worse and if you run out of Oxy the symptoms will be much more intense, although without the antidepressant-like withdrawal symptoms.

I'd suggest Kratom as a taper tool for Tramadol.

"wow shooting a gram of dope, is making this 40mg/day oxy WD a breeze!" x] <Op, this is essentially what you're doing. See how ridiculous this looks?

- Hopeless Soul

"Cold Turkey" ? With 10mg of Oxy every 6hrs? Lol. The ONLY thing you're accomplishing is isolating the effects of withdrawing from Tram's SSRI effects. You'll still have to deal with all of the opiate withdrawal when the Oxy is discontinued.

Yea, that is dumb. I see now how this looks. I already took two 5mg percs this morening but i wont take any now or at bed time. I wont have a problem with that I dont have a problem with percs. Tha tramadol habit was intentional, self-treatment for my bad depression. It worked though i found my true self/happiness now I can manage my depression without its AD relief!

But thaks for the feedback guys I will not take any more oxy i will just face the rest of this cold turkey head on. I was just afraid of facing it without a crutch. I'll only use benadryl 50mg at bed time only drug atfer this mornings 10mg OC dose, that i will take now.

If it gets too overwhelming I will buy kratom theres the MOJO brand at my local head shop. Their Bali is pretty good I will but a couple bags of that but I think I want to face my fears. No fear. Drug-free living. Its time to get back to living without drugs as a crutches. Im ready

I'll say this -depression is no joke. Although I've never suffered from it my wife has had bouts with it that reached the point of attempted suicide. Not saying you're at that point, but if you thought you needed to self medicate you might consider seeing a doctor about trying a stand alone SSRI. Opiates just complicate matters.

If it gets too overwhelming I will buy kratom theres the MOJO brand at my local head shop. Their Bali is pretty good I will but a couple bags of that but I think I want to face my fears. No fear. Drug-free living. Its time to get back to living without drugs as a crutches. Im ready
Kratom is still an opiate. Using the oxy for comfort getting over the SNRI effects tramadol has makes sense, but of course you'll still be maintaining the opiate habit, which will need to cease at some point. While one more five mg at night shouldn't hurt and honestly make it easier I think taking more tomorrow will only prolong things. I find it's best to start the day detoxing vs letting it start as the day progresses to the end.

Just be careful with the kratom, its also addictive and can cause wds.. I would continue to take the oxy, but at the lowest possible dose, and as infrequently as you can, so you can do a quick week or two taper.

- Hopeless Soul

I'll say this -depression is no joke. Although I've never suffered from it my wife has had bouts with it that reached the point of attempted suicide. Not saying you're at that point, but if you thought you needed to self medicate you might consider seeing a doctor about trying a stand alone SSRI. Opiates just complicate matters.

I do need help and or a real anti depressant. My depression is deep I try to cure it every which way but it's not going anywhere. It'll be paragraphs describing the severity of it but in short I fight daily to find motivation to be a successful person. It's hard some times finding meaning in life. Suicide does cross my mind. I'm tough though. Why mental illness chose me, I can't say. But I try to stay tough and beat it. I don't know what my future looks like. I quit jobs because my depression is so freaking heavy it makes jobs impossible. I'm trying though. My parents and friends don't know how hard I'm suffering I don't like showing those feelings. I may end up dead one day that's one of the reasons I don't want to suicide, because it wouldn't be fair to my mother to cause her that pain.