• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Can Methadone+MDMA cause Serotonin Syndrome.

Echotango

Bluelighter
I came across this Thread https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/⫸dangerous-drug-combos⫷.795784/page-8#post-14605834

It says Methadone and Fentanyl and I read on the internet Oxycodone produces Serotonin but in this Link to a bluelight thread it says Methadone has potential for Serotonin Syndrome. I am very curious about this... I should mention I am a LONG-TIME lurker for years and only just made an Account and I am EXTREMELY regretting it. I created an Account for Threads like these and all I want is not to die and help others not make stupid mistakes like what this might possibly be I would really appreciate any help from someone about this Subject Genuinely, please.

SHORT VERSION of the question... can people on Methadone Maintenance Therapy get Serotonin Syndrome if they use MDMA!? Please help as it is the Summer and I really want to roll with my girlfriend but she's on Methadone and after reading that is has be a bit scared to give her some now as I know how dangerous and very little we know about Serotonin Syndrome?

Last edited:
I have never heard of methadone in combination with MDMA causing serotonin syndrome/toxicity. It may have some indirect effect on serotonin but not enough for SS to be a concern.

I take methadone with an SSRI everyday and have never read or been warned about potential for SS. If methadone really had enough effect on serotonin to cause SS then I would never have been prescribed these drugs at the same time (unless all my Drs are idiots... which, well they are but :))

Generally the combinations to worry about involve mixing drugs such as; tramadol, SSRI drugs, MDMA and other amphetamines that affect serotonin, MAOI antidepressants, DXM etc

Pethidine is the only opioid (tramadol too) that springs to mind when I think of serotonin syndrome/toxicity.

I have taken many other drugs that increase synaptic serotonin concentrations over the years with my methadone and have never had a problem.

So from my experience taking methadone daily I would say you have nothing to worry about from this combination

To make sure you have a safe experience I would recommend getting a pill testing kit to give you some indication that what you're taking is MDMA.

Last edited:

Well there are a few Threads I found on bluelight.org one of them talks about a High Dose DXM use with everyone saying Methadone and a Dextromethorphan Trip will cause Serotonin Syndrome so I had no idea about this and I'm glad I never decided to trip on Dextromethorphan when on Methadone if this is even true?

I can't see why moderators specifically would be Posting this stuff about Methadone if it can cause Serotonin Syndrome easily from DXM use wouldn't MDMA be worse? I'm sorry but I can't seem to find the Bluelight Thread discussing DXM and Methadone anywhere on Google I came across it when trying to figure out if this is true or not since I would imagine a lot more people would be dead and or talking about it?

I would Cite more Sources but that is what I am here looking for? Or at least an Educated answer. Since just because you never experienced it or know whether you experienced very subtle Serotonin Syndrome we really have no idea how it works 100% and all of the symptoms etc.

Last edited: