• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can long term opioid dependency lead to compramised immune system?

aspiringchemist

Bluelighter
I've been using opioids daily for about 8 years now, following a 12 year period of total abstinence as a result of past IV addiction.

Anyway, now I mainly use kratom but in rather high amounts daily (50-70gpd). I experience withdrawal if I miss a dose. I also utilize various pharmaceutical opioids when the opportunity presents itself. Regardless, I have been dependent for a long time. I struggle with a lot of chronic pain.

I have been experiencing autoimmune disease symptoms that started during my period of abstinence, though have persisted into my current use and seem to be getting worse. I currently have a manifestation that is highly indicative of a compromised immune system. I'm trying to get in with rheumatology now.

Just curious if long term opioid use is associated with a weakening of the immune system or implicated in the onset of autoimmune disorders in any way?

Yes, around 6 to 7 years into my opioid use I started experiencing numerous autoimmune disorders. I don't know if it was directly related to the opioids or indirectly (getting sick, being unable to take care of myself, the toll withdrawals take on the body, etc.)

I was using buprenorphine and oxycodone daily for around 7 years when my body really started experiencing a lot of problems stemming from this.

The answer is yes. Long term high dose opioids impair lymphocyte proliferation upon antigen exposure. I am not so sure however if this would mimic autoimmune disorders but more so increase risk to fungal, parasitic, viral and bacterial infection. That is unless you have some already latent autoimmune disorder or are predisposed to a rheumatological condition.

The answer is yes. Long term high dose opioids impair lymphocyte proliferation upon antigen exposure. I am not so sure however if this would mimic autoimmune disorders but more so increase risk to fungal, parasitic, viral and bacterial infection. That is unless you have some already latent autoimmune disorder or are predisposed to a rheumatological condition.
What would be considered high dose in the average joes, no serious medical conditions be considered. I use 6-12 gpd of kratom.

^^^Yeah that isn't enough. Im talking high dose long term narcotics, like methadone, oxycodone, morphine, etc...

^^^Yeah that isn't enough. Im talking high dose long term narcotics, like methadone, oxycodone, morphine, etc...
Ok thank you cause I was wondering as well with my oxy usage but at max it was 20mg spread throughout the day

I have read that tramadol has immune boosting properties. I'm not sure how that translates in the long run, as in dependence though.

I know it's anectodal, but I have been on buprenorphine for about 4 years or so and in the last 3 years, I have not been sick once. Not even a cold. Where as before, it was very common for me to catch strep throat, colds and sinus infections, especially in the fall.

Does anyone actually have any real sources for any of the things they are saying? Just because you used opioids daily for years and then managed to get sick, it's a little disingenuous to jump to the conclusion that the opioid caused it.

Last edited: