• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can Long term Codeine Phosphate use cause gastritis or stomach problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrackFoxx

Greenlighter
I've been using Codeine daily for a few years now, sometimes dosing up to 400mg. Apart from the habit ive got myself into, everything health wise has been good up until a couple of months ago when i started to get very uncomfortable hunger pains and a general irritated stomach like feeling. I was never aware that codeine caused any type of stomach irritation and cant really find much info on it. anybody else have any similar problems?

GI problems, constipation and other stomach issues are associated with the chronic use of opiates. Many times it can mean your dose is to high. Other times it can also mean you are taking your opiates to soon before or after a meal.

These are a few things you can try to reduce stomach issues associated with opiates. Upon waking up go to the bathroom and then eat a good meal high in fiber and protein. Wait several hours to digest before taking your morning codeine dose.

Make sure to exercise during the day and eat plenty of snacks and drink plenty of water. Taker a fiber supplement or start a high fiber diet.

Then again after lunch wait a number of hours to digest before taking your PM dose. Make sure you allow plenty of time to elapse from taking your PM dose to going to the bathroom. So if you go to the bathroom in the AM do not take any opiates after 6 PM. Probiotics can also be helpful. Daily exercise that involves some type of long walking or vigorous cardio has made a huge difference in my stomach issues related to opiates.

Opiods and opiates slow down peristalsis in the gut and cause constipation. This along with their effects of hormonal fuctions and other receptors located in the gut can be rather serious for some users.

Lower your dose and stick to the same dose each day so your body can start forming a tolerance to some of the side effects. How much Tylenol are you ingesting along with the codeine per day? If it is over the 2-3 gram mark you could be irritating your health and causing liver damage. Make sure you are CWE the codeine tabs to get rid of the APAP.

stomach pain is a common side effect of codeine, or it could be pain in your liver due to an incorrect CWE

Hey thanks for the swift reply, i normally take 60mg dose of cocodamol before i eat in the morning but i also have access to pure codeine phosphate tablets and sometime take 10 to 15 pills at a time. But i never take more than 2000mg of paracetamol a day. Is it possible to still take a high dose without irratating the stomach? Ive tried plugging but just find this to be a waste.

my nan has really bad migranes and other pains so she regularly takes MIGRALEAVE and CODIS (formulations of codeine), she's had a couple of stomach ulcers because of them.

You should be doing a good CWE using a fringe or freezer while decanting and then filtering to rule out ant type of liver or stomach irritation from the APAP. Stick to a regular dosing schedule of opiates to lessen your side effects. I stay away from regular Tylenol use because I believe even doses of 1.5 grams per day can be bad for your liver and health in the long run. Also the max APAP doses are based on the idea that they are taken over a 24 hour period not a two hour or 12 hour period.

You should be doing a good CWE using a fringe or freezer while decanting and then filtering to rule out ant type of liver or stomach irritation from the APAP. Stick to a regular dosing schedule of opiates to lessen your side effects. I stay away from regular Tylenol use because I believe even doses of 1.5 grams per day can be bad for your liver and health in the long run.

Also the max APAP doses are based on the idea that they are taken over a 24 hour period not a two hour or 12 hour period. Try to not take the codeine before you eat but after at least 30 minutes after eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.