• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can ketamine have positive spiritual effects?

AvenaSativa

Bluelighter
I recently learned what a k hole is and it sounds a lot like ego death. My first time taking ayahuasca I experienced ego death. I remembered who I thought I was before the trip but also came to realize that I'm the universe. I would say I'm God but people call me crazy. Up until this point I was just an atheist but now psychedelics, particularly DMT, play a very key part in my spirituality. Is ketamine anything like this? My psychological harm and addiction from DXM as a teenager and stories about PCP turning people into cannibals made me think disassociatives could have no positive affect, but after watching this documentary on ketamine it looks like something that might be positive.

It depends on what you want really, but my answer is, well, kind of, but not really.

With ketamine you guarantee ego death with the ease of one line up your nose and about five minutes of waiting time. It's weird, confusing and certainly one to lose the ego with ease and experience some strange strange places.

The thing is, whilst not having personally tried ayahuasca, I don't think it's really in the same league as tryptamines when it comes to spiritual effect.

With tryptamines or salvia you can be left thinking 'did that actually just happen?'. With ketamine you tend to come back to baseline and know/think it was just a trip. Quite often you wouldn't want it to be real. With ketamine I've felt I was at the gates of both heaven and hell many a time, but it does seem somewhat artificial, unlike DMT and Salvia.

That said, I do have a habit of thinking I am reliving a salvia experience I once had, and consistently think music is being "beamed in" with ketamine. In the immediate aftermath it all seems very real, but after that the spiritual effects subside and I don't really feel in any way altered the next day.

It's certainly one to try though. I wouldn't discredit it, but would certainly tread lightly seeing as you were addicted to DXM. Ketamine can be very addictive. Then again it was, until recently, widely available and cheap in the UK. Made it hard to avoid.

Put it this way, I've seen people take ketamine on hundreds of occasions, and although on a few of those occasions people were convinced something spiritual happened, I have never ever seen people come out of a k-hole with the kind of lasting spiritual effects that I've seen but a few people come away from ayahuasca with.

Ketamine: Psychedelic, dissociative, ego-less, but not particularly spiritual.

Last edited:
Ketamine most defintely has a spitrual component to it. If you seek it really anything can....

Yes, ketamine can have a profoundly spiritual effect. A so-called 'k-hole' is easily one of the most intense altered states of consciousness I've experienced. Ketamine, I think, is not unique in this regard. Dissociatives in general—arylcyclohexylamines in particular—all have a potential to induce ego death and profound detachment. Dxm, PCP, TCP, PCE, 3-meo-pcp, esketamine, etc., all have a roughly equipotent psychological puissance, I find.

It's always exciting to behold what unfolds before one's mind upon the administration of a combination of serotonergic psychedelics and NMDA receptor antagonists and/or powerful kappa-opioid receptor agonists, in my opinion.

I hope to use ketamine like how you wish to OP. I think of it as an hallucinogen. But I've actually started a thread titled "Was it Ego-Death?" and it referred to a 600mg DXM trip where I had no idea of who, what, where I was and what it had ever felt like to be sober. Time was dead but they are not on the Psychedelic side of the Hallucinogens. They are on the dissociative side and it was concluded in that thread that what I experienced was extreme dissociation (which IMO is very similar to ego death) rather than ego death.

But having done DXM I do believe a K-hole can be a spiritual experience. Before that dxm trip I had no appreciation for a lot of things.

I couldn't agree with the last few posts more. Nom de plume has some especially nice wording there. I find dissociatives to have a more profound spiritual aspect than any other drug class, and co-administering them with psychedelics even more so. Ego death is ego death, but the means by which this state is attained can vary widely.

I've even heard of spiritual experiences happening under the influence of opiates, although I've never found that to be the case for myself.

As shulgin had said....its not " x milligrams of some white powder that can do all these amazing things" ....its your brain that is doing them, not a drug. This desire to want to believe in something bigger outside of yourself is hardwired into the human brain, sort of like the love/need for a mother at birth, the need for a god is a natural human instinct. EVERYONE has it....hence most of the world wanting to believe in something bigger (and going as far as to believe in their rediculous religions) or that we are more than just animals or matter undergoing a complex chemical reaction.

Drugs just stimulate this instinct in my opinion, they aren't showing you anything real outside of yourself is sadly what I tend to believe now. I would love to believe that i am god or that there is some all powerful god waiting for me when I die. But unfortunately I think wee are just pieces of meat with wild imaginations. ...even if there is a god...we are probably still just a complex biochemical reaction of matter that has nothing to do with god. The fear of that truth is what makes many people believe in a god...or believe that we are special enough to mean something to a god shoujld there be one.

Someone wrote a book about the supposed spiritual potential of ketamine. Journeys into the Bright World (1978).

most people usually get serious about spirituality after taking a hallucinogen such as LSD or mushrooms. these drugs can bring you into experiences which could be considered similar to jhanas or high states of meditate bliss and awareness.

ketamine is a disassociative and is more of an escapist drug in the sense that you might have an experience of being outside of your body or mind, which is less conducive to spirituality imo.

btw if you have no ego (ego death) you will be unable to function in the world. if you cease to identify with the ego, then you can live a life of freedom.

i think there may be some potential with low doses of ketamine

A low dose ketamine regimen helped me get over some ancient, primordial shit in my subconscious that had been holding me back for a long time. I'm always going through intense challenges in my life and mental health problems, but the ketamine regimen I did put to bed many different things that I felt were impossible.

I'm not sure about k-holing all the time. Based on the readings I've done on scientific experiments, those dosages are best when given to people who are morbidly suicidal and nothing seems to help them get better. I think it was Sweden (?) where they gave k-hole doses to such people, and it rebooted their pre-frontal synapses so that their world could make more sense again. It was ONE dose, not many.

Anyway... in a nutshell, I think ketamine for sure has medicinal potential. For me, it was in the 10mg or less range.

It certainly has both medicinal and spiritual potential, but it's definitely not the go to spiritual experience that ayahuasca is.

There's a great book called Ketamine - Dreams and Realities by Karl Jansen. Highly recommended. I find ketamine to be one of the most intriguing substances of our time

I would say I'm God but people call me crazy.

But you can't be God, I am. I remembered that when I was on MXE and almost caused the universe to cease to exist. On the subject of ketamine, is it really worth the blobs of metabolites that precipitate in the tubules of your kidneys and block them? I'm thinking no. I would actually think that nitrous was the best dissociative, due to it's lack of kidney damaging metabolites, but it's short duration and high cost make it impractical. If only there was a way to make nitrous into a solid material.

That's only with pretty heavy use Jason...though I agree nitrous is an excellent dissociative . Since your having such lack luster trips with it try adding some in! Great fun and will take you far out!

There's a great book called Ketamine - Dreams and Realities by Karl Jansen. Highly recommended. I find ketamine to be one of the most intriguing substances of our time

Get yourself an http://ebook.farm account while registration is still open so you can buy it cheap.

S-ketamine is the strongest ketamine 2 stronger than r-ketamine so when you sniff 100mg you get quite a amzing rush when 30min later 100mg sniif en 30min later again 100mg sniffid
i reached the k-hole amazing pffff

But you can't be God, I am. I remembered that when I was on MXE and almost caused the universe to cease to exist. On the subject of ketamine, is it really worth the blobs of metabolites that precipitate in the tubules of your kidneys and block them? I'm thinking no. I would actually think that nitrous was the best dissociative, due to it's lack of kidney damaging metabolites, but it's short duration and high cost make it impractical. If only there was a way to make nitrous into a solid material.

Nitrous isn't bad for your kidneys like ketamine is, but it is pretty bad to the brain when over used and can cause lasting damage...

[...] but [nitrous oxide] is pretty bad to the brain when over used and can cause lasting damage...

What?! Can you please elaborate more on this? I have used roughly two boxes (24 nitrous chargers per box) per day for approximately two consecutive years. I have not yet experienced any detrimental neurological side effects. Might I have already sustained irreparable neurological or cognitive damage, too minute to notice?

This is all news to me, and I'm not doubting or trying to impugn your accusation. But I would like to have a reputable medical source to corroborate your claim.