• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can I take oral lorazepam sublingually

Leisure321

Greenlighter
I have lorazepam pills which came with the instructions to swallow them whole.
Can I chew them up and take them sublingually instead? will that work? will that lessen the effects in any way?

You'll have binder under your tongue that you'll have to swallow anyway. I don't know the bioavailability since I think benzos are alcohol soluble

you can take them sublingually. you’ll only notice a slight difference if your tolerance is super low. after a while it’s simpler to swallow them.

I never noticed any difference in the potency doing sublingual, but yes you can. They dissolve quickly. Either way, Lorazepam has a very quick onset when taken orally.

you can take them sublingually. you’ll only notice a slight difference if your tolerance is super low. after a while it’s simpler to swallow them.

I'm definitely with Hydro on this one. You can definitely take a Lorazepam (Ativan) tablet sublingually, but it will not dissolve as quickly as a tablet made for that purpose. With all things considered, I think you will eventually find that swallowing the pill is the easier means of administering your drug.

No, do not ever take oral ativan sublingual. It will destroy your life and the lives of your loved ones. I took it for 8 months for anxiety, panic attacks and what I thought was insomnia. I was used to falling asleep within 5 minutes and when it was taking 15 to 20 minutes I thought I needed ativan to sleep. I sometimes took without water, just allowed it to dissolve. It has destroyed mine and my family's lives. My once youthful and very healthy skin is now dull, extremely dry and unhealthy. My once shiny, soft and sleek hair is now a dried up frizzy mess. I have tachycardia and have been diagnosed with a hole in my heart and POTS. In the last 25 years I've had 4 perfect echocardiograms and stress tests. My once beautiful healthy teeth are destroyed, my mouth is miserably dry. My once healthy, toned and attractive legs are covered up in varicose veins. I've had bladder and rectal prolapse. I never sleep anymore. If I sleep 2 hours a night I consider myself lucky. Prior to ativan I slept great, usually 7 to 8 hours a night. All this occurred in a period of 8 months. I felt horrible while taking it but thought it was due to anxiety and depression. About 3 months of taking it my sleep was almost non existent and my hair was falling out, I just thought it was due to anxiety. About 7 months in, I had to take medical leave from work. I decided while I was off I would taper off ativan, I was only taking 1.5mg to 2mg daily, so I thought it would be easy. My symptoms worsened and I realized I was having ativan withdrawal symptoms. From this point on my once very normal and functional life and my beautiful family's lives has been turned upside down, never to be the same again. DO NOT TAKE ORAL ATIVAN SUBLINGUAL. One of the inactive ingredients is polacrilin potassium, it is highly corrosive and used to cure leather, etc. I believe this is what is responsible for all the damage it has done to me. I don't want anyone to ever go through what I am going through. Please do no take it sublingual unless it is the sublingual form.

Yes, you can take an oral lorazepam/ Ativan sublingually, and visa-versa.

However, neither method makes it more potent, nor does it make it last longer.

Orally takes anywhere for 30 mins to 2 hours to kick in, then the effects last the same amount of time as sublingual.

Sublingually, Ativan kicks in anywhere between 2 minutes and 20 minutes, then the effects last the same amount of time as oral.

Of course you can, they even even put one under your tongue 20 minutes before undergoing surgery.
Whenever I take a benzo, I do it sublingually. It's faster and I like noticing the different flavours like the chalky alpraz, minty clonazepam, bitter diazepam...
Just a tip: never, under no circunstances, you do your Zopiclone sublingually.

^I wonder what kind of alprazolam have you been taking? In my opinion it tastes absolutely horribly bitter.

I like knowing the different flavours, being able to tell the difference. I don't like the flavour itself, well maybe clonazepam.
English is no my thing and sometimes don't find proper words

My ex-gf used it sublingual when she had some panic-attack level anxiety,
it seems to work faster sublingual, even if oral it's fast. Her physicians recommend it to take it that way in case of panic attacks.

I'm definitely with Hydro on this one. You can definitely take a Lorazepam (Ativan) tablet sublingually, but it will not dissolve as quickly as a tablet made for that purpose. With all things considered, I think you will eventually find that swallowing the pill is the easier means of administering your drug.
Sublingual has the risk of drowling them outta your mouth.

Just swallow. way more predictable, I had orange/ blue drips on my pillow.

My ex-gf used it sublingual when she had some panic-attack level anxiety,
it seems to work faster sublingual, even if oral it's fast. Her physicians recommend it to take it that way in case of panic attacks.

Whenever I have serious panic attacks, I'd take my alprazolam 1mg dose sublingually (thank god benzos are highly lipid soluble), and it kicks in faster (since it skips first-pass metabolism). For less serious panic attacks, anxiety, or insomnia, I take the oral route (primarily because the binders of my alprazolam pills from Arena Pharmaceuticals taste like absolute crap, and the bitter taste lingers for hours so it's a nightmare to take it sublingually).

I think it depends on the binder the manufacturers of the pill use. Some pills take a while to dissolve due to the binders and coating they use, and some dissolve more quickly. In my experience, the binders of the pills that are supposed to be taken sublingually dissolve faster (therefore, less risk of drooling and saliva secretion) and increased absorption of the active ingredient of the pill through sublingual veins.

I usually notice the risk of drooling (and thus sometimes resulting in wasting the dose) with pills that are supposed to be taken orally (because the binders are designed that way). Heart medications are some examples; some of those medications do not work when taken orally because less drug penetrates through veins of the GI tract and the penetrated drugs get further metabolized by the liver resulting in very low bio-availability.

Even though drugs that are supposed to be taken orally could be taken sublingually (ignoring the risk of drooling), the active ingredient of the pill must be lipid soluble for it to be absorbed by the sublingual veins; some drugs aren't lipid soluble so it's wastage of the dose when someone tries to take it sublingually hoping it would kick faster.

I think it depends on the binder the manufacturers of the pill use. Some pills take a while to dissolve due to the binders and coating they use, and some dissolve more quickly. In my experience, the binders of the pills that are supposed to be taken sublingually dissolve faster (therefore, less risk of drooling and saliva secretion) and increased absorption of the active ingredient of the pill through sublingual veins.

I usually notice the risk of drooling (and thus sometimes resulting in wasting the dose) with pills that are supposed to be taken orally (because the binders are designed that way). Heart medications are some examples; some of those medications do not work when taken orally because less drug penetrates through veins of the GI tract and the penetrated drugs get further metabolized by the liver resulting in very low bio-availability.

Even though drugs that are supposed to be taken orally could be taken sublingually (ignoring the risk of drooling), the active ingredient of the pill must be lipid soluble for it to be absorbed by the sublingual veins; some drugs aren't lipid soluble so it's wastage of the dose when someone tries to take it sublingually hoping it would kick faster.
Just swallllom them,

It won't hurt any to do them sublingually.

Eventually you will swallow all of it anyway so none will be lost and probably it will kick in a little faster.

I used to always take my diazepam sublingually.

You know I have an issue with sublingual too in that I feel I waste the pill. I know that is not logical as it gets absorbed and I do feel it eventually. But I always feel swallowing is the best route. I can't tell too much difference with swallowing or sublingual.

But there are people here that are pros and know how to do sublingual so my thinking process is not logical. Drugs do get absorbed under tongue. So it is just my superstition. I like swallowing more so than any other route (although never tried plugging). Never understood why anyone would want to snort anything either unless it is just the ritual.

They might kick in slightly faster, but benzos have near 100% oral bioavailability and lorazepam is fast acting already. You CAN take them sublingually, but it's going to make little to no difference.