• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can I decline pain meds while in surgery, or are docs legally forced to administer it

crisler

Bluelighter
Lets say I get into a car accident, and I need oxycodone (which I have zero tolerance to) or something like that during surgery or afterwards. And they force me to take it or to take morphone or something. Can I reject the medication because it will definitely interact with the tramadol that I am on 24/7 and not by prescription. I take 200mg tramadol twice a day. Will they then force me to take something like laughing gas, if i decline pain meds, which will still affect the tramadol (IME tramadol violently interacts with any other analgesic medications, anyone whos tried it knows).

If they prescribe me narcotics its simple, I just dont take any and tough it out if Im in real pain or hope that the tramadol helps enough. But my question is, if something ever happens and I get rushed into surgery, can I legally decline them putting iv pain medication or laughing gas into me and just tough it out while awake. If they give me anesthesia while Im on the tramadol id likely die. This has been my biggest fear/concern while living on this drug.

Thanks

You certainly can decline any medical treatment, they can't force u to take or do anything you don't want to

However if you were for some reason rendered incomprehensible where you couldn't communicate this out loud it could get complicated. They might administer something then.

You could always wear some kind of bracelet, I guess, though idk what you'd want written on it.

I understand the fear. My mom had a crazy incident a month ago where her respirations had dropped to only breathing 4 times in one minute...and that was due to a lovely Barbituate overdose. In any case, you can legally refuse anything that you don't want to take, so long as you are conscious. The rules get a little fuzzy when you are unconscious and honestly it just depends on the nurses/doctors taking charge of your care.

You certainly can decline any medical treatment, they can't force u to take or do anything you don't want to

This
But if you got into a car accident and are unconscious they might give you something for surgery, but there's a anesthesiologist around during surgery who knows what to do and you're not going to die..

They can't force you to take it, that would be unethical. But I'm not sure why Tramadol would be any worse with anesthesia than any other opioid (and Tramadol is a weak opioid), or why it would interact with other pain meds aside from an additive effect; obviously taking more opioids on top of tramadol will further intoxicate you but that's the only problem. I've taken tramadol with oxycodone; combining two opioids will increase your risk of overdosing but aside from that I don't think there's anything special about tramadol that would cause it to react with oxycodone. As long as they know what you're taking it should be fine. Your biggest concern with Tramadol is combining it with anything serotonergic, as it is an SNRI, or anything pro-convulsant. If your reason for denying yourself stronger opioids is fear of addiction that's completely understandable and you have the right to refuse any type of treatment.

I've mixed tramadol and several other pain meds in the past and never had an issue. What interaction are you afraid of? To answer your question you can refuse drugs if you like, it's your right but I certainly wouldn't turn them down if I'm in excruciating pain.

You have the right to decline medication and/or treatment if you are mentally competent. If you are not mentally competent (being in a psychotic episode or suicidal) medical practitioners can override your decision. No one can legally consent for anyone else unless your are the parents or guardians of a minor. If you are unable to make your own descions (being unconscious or under anaesthesia) then decisions are generally made by medical practitioners that are in your best interest. Then it starts to get complicated (based on UK law).

But in short... as a patient you have the right to decline any treatment and/or medication.

ASk an ER doc or EMT

Like others said, you can refuse medication/treatment. If you're found unconscious, they're likely to look through your wallet for an ID and health insurance card. You could always wrap a little note around your health insurance card reading "Do not give me opiate/opioid medications. Risk of drug interaction with regular meds." followed by a signature. A doctor would, I think, be legally obligated to oblige. I am neither a lawyer nor a doctor, so my word is only speculation.

I strongly suggest asking an EMT or ER doc. They are generally pretty easy to talk to, and they see crazy shit all the time -- the won't judge you or have you arrested for taking some tramadol. The ER doc is more likely to know exactly what should be happen in those cases, but an EMT is more likely to share what actually happens in those cases. Ask the question honestly: "I take 200mg tramadol 2x daily. How do I make sure that I'm not given contraindicated drugs in an emergency setting where I may or may not be conscious?"

As others have stated, in most countries you can decline treatment. But who knows if there's some communist country that would force you to take something.. I don't know why you'd think there would be a violent reaction when combined with other opioids? The trouble occurs when combined with other ssri's..

You have to sign a declaration prior to any surgery and hand over your medical history/current medication so they are NOT likely to give you any kind of medication that is going to interact with your current medication. Also it IS within your rights to decline anything .......surgery/meds/treatment so long as you have capacity to make such decisions.

You seem to be a bit of a worry wart mind you, coz if something happens to you that requires surgery etc. I reckon it will be the last thing on your mind and try and concentrate on the present and make it as beautiful as possible so that that the aforementioned is unlikely to happen. Live in the day man and enjoy it pussycat!!!

If you're that worried why take the Tramadol your day of the procedure?

You shouldn't worry anyway, Opiates won't negatively interact with your Tramadol.

Also, you can reject anything you want in that matter.