• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can drug tests from urine tell if you take something every day or just whatever you take right before the test

bluemonkey

Bluelighter
You know how A1C tests show average sugar levels over time are drug tests like that. My aunt Jan who is technologically challenged is starting pain management for a work related injury. She’s also a prepper and she would therefore like to save some of her medicine for if there’s a huge earthquake that disrupts the system for a while. She’s worried that if the testing shows less than the maximum amount she’s allowed to take per day, every day she will be accused of selling them or they will say she should still have some and not give her more. Obviously, she can only save some up if they don’t make her use them all before each refill.Would taking 4 one the day of the test be sufficient to be the correct levels since she is allowed 4 vicoprofen a day or will they likely be able to tell that she takes less on some days? Should she just tell her dr about her prepping concerns? Obviously my question is about the general nature of most urine tests used in pain clinics I know every test is different and it’s probably theoretically possible to design a test that looks for consistency over time but the degree to which aunt Jan needs to be concerned about it is determined by how common it is to use tests that try to determine patterns of use. In light of her issues using technology, I told her I would ask somewhere online for her.
We are in California so the earthquake concern is very real. I therefore suggested that she tell her doctor that she is a prepper. I know that this might not be seen as closely enough connected to harm reduction to be appropriate for Bluelight. While I can see that on one side of the coin, disrupting or completely losing needed pain management can indeed be detrimental to one’s well being.

By the way, her plan is to try using otcs and supplements like wild lettuce for lower pain levels and keep the vicoprofen for when the pain is 8 or higher, if that makes a difference to how she should handle the situation. Also she lost a son to Percocet and vodka mixed which is her other reason for wanting to avoid daily use if possible. She is a bit gun shy about opiates. Thanks

Doctors aren't going to help anyone stockpile narcotics, unfortunately.

Should she at least tell them about my cousin and her concerns about daily use so that they don’t think she’s being dishonest if she doesn’t need to refill it as often as they would expect? I have never seen a pain management contract but she said it’s written in a way that neatly forces behavior that would lead to dependency. And like I said she’s probably overly concerned about that because of what happened to Joshua.

I think the contract and the way it was worried freaked her out big time. It’s like it’s at the point where even we can tell that non-narcotics are not always abled to control her pain but not to the point where that is 100% the case all of the time. Some days, just the prescription level numbing cream, combined with hypnosis is enough for her to sleep enough so that she’s not in the mood to kick people the next day, but other times it’s not and when it’s not everyone living in her household ( she lives with my parents at the moment) can tell.

she said that the contract said that she had to take the medicine whether she felt like she needed it or not which lead to the question of can they actually tell whether someone has done that? If so how?

I don't see urine drug tests being able to determine if you're keeping a small amount of your meds to stockpile.

They probably could detect that the amount in her system is lower than expected, but metabolism is too variable to be able to be sure. I don't think you'd be able to accurately determine that it's because the patient isn't taking what they're prescribed unless the amount in the urine was substantially lower than normal.

no so her just have her take a few pills the day before the test, thats all she has to do than she can stock pile all she wants

a general urine test for pain management will just show positive or negative. the more advanced tests can detect levels of the drug. if they are testing for levels you are all but cut off because they'd only do that if they're trying to cut you from meds.

I find the concept of a 'pain management contract' extremely sinister and is something I've never heard of before. I'm assuming you're in the US? If so, is this something that has come about in response to the so called 'opioid crisis'?

I find the concept of a 'pain management contract' extremely sinister and is something I've never heard of before. I'm assuming you're in the US? If so, is this something that has come about in response to the so called 'opioid crisis'?

It sounds a lot like the kinda pretend contracts they have you sign in lots of medical settings, intended to get the patient and doctor on the same page about treatment. Something both parties (but mainly the doctor) can pull out if the other (usually the patient) disagrees with something.

I don't know if that's what it is, but that's what I assumed when I first read it. Kinda like the various pseudo-contracts I've had to sign when getting on methadone, saying shit like that I'll come on time, I'll be respectful to staff, I have a right to ask questions. That if I don't show up for days I won't get dosed till I see my prescriber. That kinda stuff.

Not something I'd call sinister. Just more patient management bs. :p

At least I hope that's all it is.

It sounds a lot like the kinda pretend contracts they have you sign in lots of medical settings, intended to get the patient and doctor on the same page about treatment. Something both parties (but mainly the doctor) can pull out if the other (usually the patient) disagrees with something.

I don't know if that's what it is, but that's what I assumed when I first read it. Kinda like the various pseudo-contracts I've had to sign when getting on methadone, saying shit like that I'll come on time, I'll be respectful to staff, I have a right to ask questions. That if I don't show up for days I won't get dosed till I see my prescriber. That kinda stuff.

Not something I'd call sinister. Just more patient management bs. :p

At least I hope that's all it is.

Surely the one paying for the service should be the one to draw up a contract? Sounds a bit arse about face to me.

Christ, we get free healthcare but we dont have to put up with that shit. Yet...

Surely the one paying for the service should be the one to draw up a contract? Sounds a bit arse about face to me.

Christ, we get free healthcare but we dont have to put up with that shit. Yet...
in the US they make you sign a contract that they can piss test you and call you in for a pill count.

Again, and this is speaking only for myself and my experience with this sort of thing. Calling it a contract is somewhat misleading. It's more like an agreement of aspirational goals.

For instance usually with the ones I've signed for methadone they included something saying that I turn up for my dose every day, yet I probably missed half of every dose I was supposed to take for over a year when I was still using heroin. They threatened to kick me off it all the time, constantly went on and on about how dangerous what I was doing was, but it was an empty threat. They'd kick people out for violence towards the staff, but virtually never for missing doses.

So it's hardly a contract. More just something they can point to and say you're not doing what you agreed too. It's for psychological purposes, not legal ones.

Also in my case the clinic I was going to at the time was completely free (and it showed). So I wasn't in a great position to argue. :)

It's well worth keeping in mind though that I have no idea if this is the kinda thing this pain management contract is. It's just what I assumed it was when I read the post.

it's so they can cut you off if you don't comply. the question is will they? nowadays yes for pain meds from a doctor.

in the US they make you sign a contract that they can piss test you and call you in for a pill count.

Oh that reminds me, that's something else that was in mine. That I consented to them giving me urine tests at a random time each month before I got my dose.

It's funny. When I actually for reals got off heroin, well after I'd entirely stopped going to that clinic. I started getting my methadone privately from a pharmacy, and I haven't been drug tested in the 2 years since.

The urine tests were also completely meaningless. In the 2 or so years I went to this clinic I tested positive for at least heroin every single time without exception. And often for benzos or amphetamines too. They'd give me more lectures about it, that I was gonna die, that they'd have to eject me from the program etc etc. Then proceed to do nothing. All talk.

So I can't say I took those "contracts" very seriously.

Oh that reminds me, that's something else that was in mine. That I consented to them giving me urine tests at a random time each month before I got my dose.

It's funny. When I actually for reals got off heroin, well after I'd entirely stopped going to that clinic. I started getting my methadone privately from a pharmacy, and I haven't been drug tested in the 2 years since.

The urine tests were also completely meaningless. In the 2 or so years I went to this clinic I tested positive for at least heroin every single time without exception. And often for benzos or amphetamines too. They'd give me more lectures about it, that I was gonna die, that they'd have to eject me from the program etc etc. Then proceed to do nothing. All talk.

So I can't say I took those "contracts" very seriously.
methadone programs are a huge money maker through government grants and a way to control people so their interests are in keeping you there. they tend to be more severe at pain management with contract violations

methadone programs are a huge money maker through government grants and a way to control people so their interests are in keeping you there. they tend to be more severe at pain management with contract violations

I very much doubt the clinic I've been talking about made any money at all. It was run by the state, that's why it was free. Also why it was so terrible. I've been to a private one too and it was substantially better.

I very much doubt the clinic I've been talking about made any money at all. It was run by the state, that's why it was free. Also why it was so terrible. I've been to a private one too and it was substantially better.
I'm not here to argue methadone clinics. not my intention to piss anyone off. was only stating my opinion.

It is possible to test for specific amounts in urine but they cant see a long term time frame that way. What they can do is compare one sample to another. I think they may be able to see a long term time frame with a hair sample test though I seriously doubt that would happen I think its expensive. Sounds like a scare tactic because they don't want people to have extras sitting around for teenagers to steal or whatever, or maybe it was more pushing by drug companies trying to keep people dependant couldn't say. Kinda ridiculous imo for people to have such control over your ability to take a painkiller when you want and when you need, under the threat of having them taken away all together. I thought adults could make their own decisions with proper information

Last edited:
Can a 10 panel drug screening test determine if you use Benzos and if so can they determine specifically what kind of Benzos you’re taking? Like Etizolam from klonopin or ambien?