Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Can anyone recommend a movie about heroin or opiate/opioid addiction?

FunctionalJnkieGrl

Bluelighter
I've probably seen most of them, actually. Haha. Here are some that come to mind: The Man With The Golden Arm (would like to see a remake of this one if made, but it probably wouldn't do the original justice), RUSH (currently reading the book and so far it actually might be better than the movie), Drugstore Cowboy (the book is great too), Trainspottting (Never read the book, but T2 was disappointing), Sid And Nancy (as far as I'm concerned, Gary Oldman was born to play Sid), American Cowslip (weird movie), Junkie (2012/2013 B movie, but worth a watch), Christiane F (good luck finding the English dubbed or subtitled version), American Gangster (good biopic about Frank Lucas), Flight (not the main focus, but also stars Denzel Washington), Permanent Midnight (biopic of Alf writer and former opiate addict Jerry Stahl), Georgia (not really about heroin addiction, but Jennifer Jason Leigh portrays withdrawals like a pro), Gia (Angelina Jolie stars as the late supermodel turned heroin addict who died of HIV/AIDS), A Streetcat Named Bob (based on a true story about a homeless junkie who is befriended by a stray cat and its very inspiring/uplifting), Pulp Fiction (not the focus of the movie, but the OD scene was superb), Ed Wood (about director Ed Wood, but also has a scene that depicts Bela Legosi's lesser-known struggle as morphine addict), Party Monster (about party promoter Michael Alig and his poly drug use), BEAT (biopic about William S. Burroughs), Candy (starring Heath Ledger). I might be forgetting some.

Last edited:
I've probably seen most of them, actually. Haha. Here are some that come to mind: The Man With The Golden Arm (would like to see a remake of this one if made, but it probably wouldn't do the original justice), RUSH (currently reading the book and so far it actually might be better than the movie), Drugstore Cowboy (the book is great too), Trainspottting (Never read the book, but T2 was disappointing), Sid And Nancy (as far as I'm concerned, Gary Oldman was born to play Sid), American Cowslip (weird movie), Junkie (2012/2013 B movie, but worth a watch), Christiane F (good luck finding the English dubbed or subtitled version), American Gangster (good biopic about Frank Lucas), Flight (not the main focus, but also stars Denzel Washington), Permanent Midnight (biopic of Alf writer and former opiate addict Jerry Stahl), Georgia (not really about heroin addiction, but Jennifer Jason Leigh portrays withdrawals like a pro), Gia (Angelina Jolie stars as the late supermodel turned heroin addict who died of HIV/AIDS), A Streetcat Named Bob (based on a true story about a homeless junkie who is befriended by a stray cat and its very inspiring/uplifting), Pulp Fiction (not the focus of the movie, but the OD scene was superb), Ed Wood (about director Ed Wood, but also has a scene that depicts Bela Legosi's lesser-known struggle as morphine addict), Party Monster (about party promoter Michael Alig and his poly drug use), BEAT (biopic about William S. Burroughs). I might be forgetting some.
I highly suggest the movie "A thousand junkies".

A movie made by junkies for junkies. It's a very dark comedy. Mostly a drama about the horrors of 3 junkies trying to score and they run into their "everything goes wrong" type of day. The comedy shows up as "haha yes!!! I used to do that, too!!" type of moments, which there are a lot of. Some of those moments are not funny, but sad and very realistic.

It's both funny (awesome junky humor) AND made me really melancholy and almost upset/triggered.

Either way, I really enjoyed the movie.

If you've ever had a headache trying to beg for some money to score on 2pm on a Tuesday - you'll probably like the movie. Trigger warning, though.

I actually
I highly suggest the movie "A thousand junkies".

A movie made by junkies for junkies. It's a very dark comedy. Mostly a drama about the horrors of 3 junkies trying to score and they run into their "everything goes wrong" type of day. The comedy shows up as "haha yes!!! I used to do that, too!!" type of moments, which there are a lot of. Some of those moments are not funny, but sad and very realistic.

It's both funny (awesome junky humor) AND made me really melancholy and almost upset/triggered.

Either way, I really enjoyed the movie.

If you've ever had a headache trying to beg for some money to score on 2pm on a Tuesday - you'll probably like the movie. Trigger warning, though.

I actually never seen this one. Looks good.

I just saw Four Good Days and would recommend it.
I've been wanting to see this one. It'll be interesting to see her tackle a serious role as the protagonist for once. Also, my fiance thinks I look kinda like Mila Kunis, which is a huge compliment to me. I think she's beautiful. <3

Requiem for a Dream
Was that one about heroin though? I thought it was more about uppers? They never really mention what actual drugs they're doing though. Still a good movie, but really gritty and hard to watch. It leaves you feeling kinda unsettled afterwards, but I guess that's the idea.

Was that one about heroin though? I thought it was more about uppers? They never really mention what actual drugs they're doing though. Still a good movie, but really gritty and hard to watch. It leaves you feeling kinda unsettled afterwards, but I guess that's the idea.
Requiem for a Dream specifically references heroin and speed/diet pills, but other drugs like MDMA are referenced too

I really do not want to watch that movie again. I've seen it twice. Which is one two many times.

it's one of those movies that is SUPPOSED TO leave you unsettled and disturbed, you know?

Requiem for a Dream specifically references heroin and speed/diet pills, but other drugs like MDMA are referenced too

I really do not want to watch that movie again. I've seen it twice. Which is one two many times.

it's one of those movies that is SUPPOSED TO leave you unsettled and disturbed, you know?
I agree. It worked. I've seen it a few times but I could go without ever watching it again. I can see why the goal is to scare the audience out of using/trying drugs. It could be a very effective scare-tactic for someone who's never used drugs or is curious about trying harder drugs. Unlike other drug movies, it certainly doesn't glamorize drug use by any means. They should use this movie instead of D.A.R.E programs if they really want to accurately depict the dark side of addiction. If anyone wants to watch a movie that leaves you unsettled for the right reasons, I'd say this is the movie to watch, unlike Cuties (the reviews alone disgusted me out of wanting to see what all the fuss is about).

Last edited:
I agree. It worked. I've seen it a few times but I could go without ever watching it again. I can see why the goal is to scare the audience out of using/trying drugs. It could be a very effective scare-tactic for someone who's never used drugs or is curious about trying harder drugs. Unlike other drug movies, it certainly doesn't glamorize drug use by any means. They should use this movie instead of D.A.R.E programs if they really want to accurately depict the dark side of addiction. If anyone wants to watch a movie that leaves you unsettled for the right reasons, I'd say this is the movie to watch, unlike Cuties (the reviews alone disgusted me out of wanting to see what all the fuss is about).
Yep. Extremely effective movie. I still clearly remember EVERY scene and my brain recoiling at the peak/end. Memorable in a good and bad way.

I rented this movie yesterday I'll be watching it later tonight.

Aww I was really hoping I was first to be the first post. But in case everyone missed this movie, called candy with Keith ledger. I bought this movie at a block buster, but I was addicted at the time to mdpv and oxy I swear even thinking of it now makes me sad. But it's also a depressing movie... I a very depressing movie. You watch requiem for a dream to liven your mood after this movie. It also reminded me a little of train spotting in the way that it was hard you watch at time. Just a sad movie...