• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can anyone give tips on how to sleep during opiate/opioid withdrawal?

I agree with some of those people that said depending upon the severity of the WDs, there are some times when sleep is not going to happen. For example, having been through the drama with various opiates/opiods (Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Morphine, Fentanyl), I can tell you that Fentanyl was the most extreme WD torture I have ever experienced, by far. There was pretty much zero sleep during the first week or so, which exacerbated the nightmare of the affair wildly. Even after that, the PAWS was insane, and I really did not sleep properly for many months. Again, made the WDs far more torturous. Just what your brain and body DON'T need when you are trying to heal, of course. Even boatloads of Valium did almost nothing, other than make me feel brain dead. Tried Trazadone, did nothing but make me feel like complete garbage. I tried pretty much everything and every combination of things and in the end, I just could not do anything other than pass out occasionally, for short periods, usually minutes. Even the morphine, as bad as it was, was nothing compared to the Fent WDs. There is nothing anyone could ever do to convince me to touch that shit ever again. This Fent experience was the closest thing to a living nightmare that I could have ever imagined, and again, even morphine was easier, as shitty as that was.

Anyway, good luck, my friend. Things will get better if you get off the opiates. Once the hooks are out of you, you will begin feeling better. If I can do it, anyone can.
I was prescribed trazadone once for insomnia. That stuff is garbage indeed. Took 1 pill and flushed the rest. Didn't even bother trying to sell the rest because who would willingly take that crap? Blacking out isn't the same as a good nights rest, which is why I didn't bother with it any further. Oddly enough, out of all the many opiates I've been addicted to, tramadol gave me the most hellish withdrawals. 2 days into it I tapped out and caved back into my habits. I didn't wanna find out how much worse it could get if by day 2 I was already in pain, sleepless, restless, and having the worst case of the shits. Don't be deceived by tramadol. Its a weak opioid, but its DOA is much longer than other opiates, meaning the withdrawals will be too.

Mirtazapine and seroquel (or doxypine) I've seen knock out people even in extreme methadone WD. Though I wouldn't do it everyday.
You couldn't pay me to ever take seroquel again. I'd rather deal with the insomnia than feel the hit-by-a-mack-truck effects of the seroquel ever again.

Don't even get me started on my insatiable sex drive when withdrawals start to set in. Haha.
Crazy isn't it. I'm on 85ml of methadone so it's good cos it makes me last longer. Downside is I can usually only go maximum twice a night.
I can orgasm before I'm erect in withdrawal. I think when I finally taper to low doses I'll want a supportive partner who loves sex (all 12 seconds of it).

I was prescribed trazadone once for insomnia. That stuff is garbage indeed. Took 1 pill and flushed the rest. Didn't even bother trying to sell the rest because who would willingly take that crap? Blacking out isn't the same as a good nights rest, which is why I didn't bother with it any further. Oddly enough, out of all the many opiates I've been addicted to, tramadol gave me the most hellish withdrawals. 2 days into it I tapped out and caved back into my habits. I didn't wanna find out how much worse it could get if by day 2 I was already in pain, sleepless, restless, and having the worst case of the shits. Don't be deceived by tramadol. Its a weak opioid, but its DOA is much longer than other opiates, meaning the withdrawals will be too.
Yes. Tramadol is no joke, for sure. I happened to love it, once upon a time, most because it can have tremendous anti-depressant qualities. Never had enough around to get addicted to it, but I believe you. I am glad I never had consistent access to it. Back in the day, I used to buy Acetyl Fentanyl in 5 gram batches, and I almost did myself in with it. Brutal, that shit. But never again. I feel great being free of all that stuff for a long time now.

As shadow self pointed out @FunctionalJnkieGrl you're withdrawing from an opiate and an anti depressant at the same time with trams.
Some people fucking adore tramadol. I never really got it, except if I had nothing else or to take and potentiate things like DHC.
But I hear the withdrawal is particularly brutal but in a bit of a different way to stronger opiates.

I used to luuuuuurrrrvvvve DHC. Back when my tolerance was reasonable, 300mg and I could kiss everyone I walked past in the street

Yeah. I would find 12mg (they only come in boxes of 6 X 2mg capsules in the UK) would really help me function when I couldn't get any h.
I don't understand why people say to take 25-40mg doses as I understand the high is dirty as fuck and ruins your heart.

Yeah. I would find 12mg (they only come in boxes of 6 X 2mg capsules in the UK) would really help me function when I couldn't get any h.
I don't understand why people say to take 25-40mg doses as I understand the high is dirty as fuck and ruins your heart.

Yeah it's bad for your heart in large doses, but the research suggests that 100mg or more is necessary for acute heart problems. Chronic usage at lower dosages might be bad too. For me, loperamide offers significant relief around 40mg but not below that so much.

I personally don't mind seroquel, i use it to knock myself out sometimes because i cant use benzos anymore (severe rebound due to past dependency). I mean i have a lifetime supply of RC benzos but I avoid them like the plague. 4mg of etizolam will have me feeling worse than 25mg or 50mg of seroquel. Seroquel (at low doses) is like benadryl on steroids, yet stronger and powerful enough to shut down stimulants to some degree (at 75mg or higher). They are good for getting sleep after heavy stimulant use for people who shouldn't be using benzos. Ive taken it for up to two or three weeks due to opioid/benzo withdrawal. That is in extreme cases. Starts to decrease sexual appetite a little. Increases appetite though (which i like, i don't like eating much).

I personally don't mind seroquel, i use it to knock myself out sometimes because i cant use benzos anymore (severe rebound due to past dependency). I mean i have a lifetime supply of RC benzos but I avoid them like the plague. 4mg of etizolam will have me feeling worse than 25mg or 50mg of seroquel. Seroquel (at low doses) is like benadryl on steroids, yet stronger and powerful enough to shut down stimulants to some degree (at 75mg or higher). They are good for getting sleep after heavy stimulant use for people who shouldn't be using benzos. Ive taken it for up to two or three weeks due to opioid/benzo withdrawal. That is in extreme cases. Starts to decrease sexual appetite a little. Increases appetite though (which i like, i don't like eating much).
Benadryl on steroids is a good description of Seroquel.
Yes. Tramadol is no joke, for sure. I happened to love it, once upon a time, most because it can have tremendous anti-depressant qualities. Never had enough around to get addicted to it, but I believe you. I am glad I never had consistent access to it. Back in the day, I used to buy Acetyl Fentanyl in 5 gram batches, and I almost did myself in with it. Brutal, that shit. But never again. I feel great being free of all that stuff for a long time now.
I use to love tramadol. I can vouch for the antidepressant effects. I even once tried to convince my shrink to replace my Concerta with Tramadol. She wouldn't do it because she couldn't prescribe painkillers even if they are beneficial for other ailments. It just made me feel pleasantly normal, so I was shocked when the withdrawals were so severe.

As shadow self pointed out @FunctionalJnkieGrl you're withdrawing from an opiate and an anti depressant at the same time with trams.
Some people fucking adore tramadol. I never really got it, except if I had nothing else or to take and potentiate things like DHC.
But I hear the withdrawal is particularly brutal but in a bit of a different way to stronger opiates.
I was one of the folks who loved it. Now it probably wouldn't do much for me since I've moved onto stronger painkillers.

You tried zolpidem? It's pretty heavy... The problem is that it's just for falling asleep, you could wake up 1hour later, i dunno if you can safely cross it with some zolpiclone, for the lenght of the sleep, but whatever the zolpiclone gives a bad taste the day after...

You got also risperdal, loxapax, abilify if i don't say bs, and i guess practicly all the neuroleptics... If you find yourself in withdrawal just act really crazy in the streets, they gonna put you to sleep don't worry :p

Even in super high doses it isn't really a high. If I had to describe it I'd call it methadone light. What happens when you're in withdrawal and you take a high dose is it relieves all of your withdrawal symptoms for about 24 hrs (not just the diarrhea). So my last detox I took 45 pills the first day. maybe 35 the next, and you just taper off dosing once a day with pretty much zero symptoms. Some stores here sell 96 count bottles of 2mg loperamide. The reason you have to take so much is to block up the proton pump so that the loperamide is transmitted into your blood stream and your brain giving central opioid effects sufficient to attenuate withdrawals. People recommend taking a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole to assist with getting the lope into your bloodstream, too.

What is possible with lope is to react it with something like acetic anhydride to form the acetic ester of loperamide. Because of the ester it is taken up into the bloodstream by the proton pump instead being returned to the gut and will have the full effects of other synthetic opioids that are similar in structure. Also, you can use much much lower doses than regular lope bc with the ester you don't have to blockade the proton pump in order to cross over into the blood stream.
The guy who owned the forum where I learned about acetyl lope used to synthesize it (it was a synthesis forum). Not long after he had multiple strokes and died. I still don't know if that was a side effect of using acetylloperamide. God only know what other shit that guy synthesized and used over the years.

Last edited: