• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Can (any) drugs trigger mania in a healthy person?

Zephyn

Bluelighter
Can drugs such as high dose amphetamines or crack cocaine, or even lsd, trigger a manic state for a healthy person? In extreme dosages? Is there anyone out that that goes into psychosis from amphetamines nearly every time (but usually after massive doses and being up a long time) that is not bipolar? In my experience, psychosis seemed to resolve when the main effects of whatever drug wore off, but sometimes had some more lasting effects (maybe a week)? I've had other (enjoyable) experiences now that after that I'm looking back and wondering if I was just hypomanic or whatever or if I was just high. Trying to figure out if I'm bipolar before I proceed with my substance use choices. Would not like to go back to spending all my money, hearing voices or flagging down cars. More interested in continuing to use psychedelics here as I've used them safely for over a decade, but this apparent sudden onset bipolar kind of sketches me out, and I have had a couple unpleasant lsd experiences since the psychosis, and that didn't used to happen. Would like to use it again at some point. Id also like to try 3-meo-pcp, but kind of especially worried about that. Can someone be prone to psychosis without being bipolar? Could it be that I just got way too high a few times? I definitely suffer from anxiety and depression, that's no doubt, but the bipolar is unclear to me or my psychiatrist (who doesn't know about my desire to take psychedelics, but agrees with my choice not to take medication for it at this point).

Ive had numerous episodes of both psychosis and bipolar like symptoms (mania and severe depression) from heavy sustained stimulant usage some of which took awhile to resolve after stopping but when I do stay sober I have no such problems - never any paranoia, bipolar symptoms, nada. The psychosis and mania I experienced were 100% drug induced, without drugs I'm quite stable. Don't know if this helps...

but I'd recommend slowing down / taking some time off... figure things out after a long stretch of sobriety before deciding