• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Can Adderall speed the rate at which Methadone is metabolized?

Regulat0r10

Bluelighter
Good day blue lighters,

so I am in a bit of an argument with someone regarding amphetamines and methadone. But really quick, just to give you guys an idea of what I’m currently taking , I’m on a MMT taper which I paused at 24mg and currently stabilized at this dose (dropped from 80mg @2mg every other week), I was recently put back on Adderall to help combat my adhd and anxiety derived from it and help with the fatigue and lack of motivation. Since I have been taking it orally, usually the same time I take the first half of my dose in the morning (10-20mg adderall + 12mg Methadone) and around 3pm I’ll take the other half of my methadone but I skip on a second adderall dose.

That said, based on my experience, it feels as if the adderall is possibly causing my body to metabolize my dose of methadone sooner? For instance, when I take my dose of adderall, I noticed that I experience runny nose, watery eyes, and yawning sooner in the evening verses when I don’t dose the adderall I don’t experience that until early in the morning.

My whole theory behind this was, adderall definitely speeds your metabolism right? Its had a variety of uses throughout history including weight loss(but maybe that’s just associated with the loss of appetite side effect?) Also, Methadone slows down your metabolism right? Aside from hearing people gain weight from sugar craving, I eat very healthy and don’t even have sugary or processed foods in my houses and experienced weight gain when I was at my top dose until I reduced my food intake to 1 decent size meal a day. That said, 80% of the ppl I have seen on M gained between 50-100lb

I have been told from a counselor at the clinic that caffeine or even exercise can alter the rate your body metabolizes methadone as well. I run 10-15 miles a week and lift weights but for science, I have ran these tests on my rest days. I’d appreciate it if anyone can give me a scientific answer to this? I’d really appreciate it (even studies or references would be a plus!)

adderall definitely speeds your metabolism right?
Not as such, it may increase your calorie consumption but it doesn't make drugs metabolize any faster

Methadone slows down your metabolism right?
It slows your gastric tract down, but doesn't alter metabolism.

My best guess is that because your methadone dose is so low, the amphetamine is making the withdrawal effects more apparent. I can tell you for certain that if you take someone in mild opioid withdrawal and give them a bunch of amphetamine they will be sweaty, puking, jittery messes...