• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Calling Marijuana Dope

Where I grew up there was no heroin and weed was called dope. Kinda silly to get upset about what people call weed. The world is big and not everyone lives in your town

I call heroin dope?not weed. But, what does it matter. It?s all good to me.

I guess it all depends on the part of the world we grew up in. On my side dope was never used to refer to weed/cannabis. Only time that reference was made was to describe how potent the weed was, for instance "this is some dope weed" in other words saying it some good strong weed/cannabis.

But i get the frustration of the OP having weed classified with the same nickname for H. It makes as all sounds like opiate fiends, which we not. But screw the peeps, we know what we doing ain't "dope" so let them speculate or say what they wanna say cause at the end of the day they will always play Cannabis down as a drug non matter what we or others call is.

I also think we need to stand together more as an international group to educate the world and civilization more on the more positive properties of cannabis then the negative aspects the world is focusing on.

Some of my friends parents and school teachers growing up called Marijuana Dope. I've always referred to it as Weed, Herb, Green or Bud. My father called it Pot or Weed most of the time.

When I hear someone say Dope these days I immidietly think of heroin. But that's possibly because I'm from the NY/NJ area. But I've heard of other people in the country referring to Methamphetamine as dope. It's semi-confusing honestly, but for me it will always register as stamped bags of H.

I do get having drug slang pet peeves. I suppose I do too.

I would never call weed dope. Only people I've known who call weed dope are people over a certain age (at least 45+).

Personally the only thing I would call dope is heroin.

However that's not something I picked up here in Australia. I've never much heard people use the term dope here at all except for people over a certain age using it as slang for weed. Here generally heroin is called "gear". And meth is called ice. Though some people seem to call ice "gear" too which pisses me off. I've also heard heroin and meth referred in slang as hot and cold.

Slang is weird.

The most common slang here for weed is MJ, dagga, weed or skuif, parkiegras and tarawaki. But yeah method is also called Ice around here

The most common slang here for weed is MJ, dagga, weed or skuif, parkiegras and tarawaki. But yeah meth is also called Ice around here

Last edited:
i think they called weed dope first back in the 60s and 70s and then heroin came around in the 80s and 90s and since heroin could kinda make u look like you're high on weed w the low eyes, croaky voice, nodding out, goofy smile, it just sort of became a norm to refer to them both as dope.

dope is essentially any drug affecting dopamine in some way or more as an umbrella term for all recreational drugs but weed and heroin have the most association with it.

heroin users likely wanted a euphemism anyway because talking about it casually, heroin has a very dark undertone whereas dope seems more casual and cool.

just my 2cents.

i'm not entirely sure when heroin itself blew up as a recreational drug but i somehow feel weed was definitely more mainstream before heroin took off.. and i know for a fact it was referred to as dope by the people from the hippie era..

i could be wrong however, this is all speculation from my end.

i really wouldn't be bothered with slang. it's regional.. everyone has their own thing

where i'm from we call weed:-
high-grade, medi, kushkush, collie, kush, peng, gas, flower, hydro.

we also have slang specific with where the weed is from as we mainly get imported weed

foreign - imported dro
jam - weed imported from jamaica
colo or creepy - weed imported from columbia.
local - weed locally grown (usually outdoor)

i personally like to call it dro, peng or erb

Piff thats what i call it

think dope is more appropriate for heroin but the weed today is so strong to sound like an annoying 80s milenial stereotype

Im gonna call my dealer now:)

1a182294ab780e7b0e8f6c3c87e7ea31.jpg

^lol, that and the old folks.
Yeah, pretty much everyone i know over the age of 50 who smokes or smoked when younger calls herb "dope."
Im not sure about todays youth but most people ive know throughout my life, that are my age(late 30s), reserve "dope" for harder drugs. Meth, crack, h, sometimes coke.
Its kinda interesting though how drug slang varies regionally. Ive lived on both coasts(US) and each corner and have always been fascinated by the similarities and differences.

lol @ mexican petrol. I'll take old slang over some of the new stuff any day. Cool song tho.

This is what we called dope when I was young. Heroin was called Heroin.

s-l640.jpg

Fucking ticks me off. Sure signal to people who know what weed does that you are an indoctrinated fool!!!
I'm ranting here and for good reason. I'll admit that under the influence of marijuana my performance literally IS enhanced, but I still find the use of the term "dope" disparaging. I am no bible thumper but I'll tell you what... ain't nothing wrong with using what mother earth gives freely. Better than any man made substance, yes it is. I've indulged man made substances, you should take my word.

It confused me because people also refer to heroin as "dope"