• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin calling all addicts, how did your addiction begin?

So true ^^, I don't like lying, but I've done it a million times.

His story could be true, tbh I'm not sure how many people end up on heroin without having something legit wrong to start with.

For me, I was depressed and suicidal pretty much since I was before I was even 10. Bad shit happened I don't feel like repeating, so when drugs were offered, I simply didn't give a shit about my life, if I died or not, I didn't care at all. I'd always been interested in drugs, so I accepted. Wasn't too long I found opiates and went from pills to heroin to shooting up. Pretty simple really, heroin made me feel good and happy like no antidepressant could. But it's never enough. Everyone has a reason. I dunno if some are better than others, a heroin addiction sucks and I don't think anyone 'deserves' it. Everyone makes mistakes, it's just some will pay more than others.

OP, if you hate liars, you're in for a bumpy ride associating with addicts.

That said, for me it was all curiosity. I'd never cared much for drugs but for some reason had a life-long interest in heroin. Something about the idea of really checking out completely for a while. I didn't like myself much and I saw it as a miniature, repeatable suicide. Then the stars aligned and a buddy of mine happened to have a bag. I chipped for about a year, and then things got out from under me. Same old story.

Ditto here. and OP, K-pins dont do shit for me, and how an addict moves from one drug to the next is largely a product of availability. I did a few norcos when I was in my late teens, and didnt fuck with opiates again until five-six years later, when a heroin connect fell into my lap.

my addiction although not opiates or benzos or anything like that
i suffered from bad anxiety for a good part of 7 years and until one night on impulse i bought a single beer this was about 2 years ago
after drinking i felt a warm fuzzy feeling and a lift in anxiety like i felt normal although i had a script for xanax i never used them
but of course like every addiction i went from 1 beer before bed to the point i would start drinking around noon time until i passed out
i was drinking maybe a 12 pack daily until i decided i def had a problem so without telling anyone friends or family i went into detox center
spent 7 days on so much valium lol after i got out i was actually better until my mother had a stroke which broke my spirits and of course...back to drinking
although im not drinking crazy amounts anymore i still drink daily around 2 to 3 beers depending and i can actually stop myself from "having just one more"

vicious cycle

Anxiety PTSD benzo addict Severe Chronic Kee injury Opiate addict

Heroin, straight away. No pills first. Smoked it on my birthday one year. Within two was a daily smoker, within three ab daily IV user and a mess.

Some people do go straight away at heroin. Of course I'd done all the other '90s typical non-opioids first, ex. Meth. I did that too but later.

Heroin always held a certain appeal, and from that first hit, which didn't get me sick until the next day, I knew I'd found home. Home was a big fat lie...

My addiction started at age 10, when I went through some life termoil and events and was never given the tools to cope with stress, depression, and anxiety. When I was a child, and needed help, and was never "reached". I didn't end up trying "drugs" until the teen years, and didn't struggle with addiction until my mid 20s. But, that is where I believe I was predisposed to environmental factors that led to my decision making and coping skills where a quick fix is the easiest and go-to attempt to regulate myself.

Mine started very early (13), but it was not as intense as when I really thought I could use opiates for the rest of my life and be okay with it. Managed to get work, study until it was already too late.
With 13 it was all recreational but when I was submitted to a surgery and was fed with lots of strong opiates, my life sort of ruined.
That took 24 years off my life. I´m now sober but regret thinking methadone was the solution of all my problems.

Last edited:
Heroin, straight away. No pills first. Smoked it on my birthday one year. Within two was a daily smoker, within three ab daily IV user and a mess.

Some people do go straight away at heroin. Of course I'd done all the other '90s typical non-opioids first, ex. Meth. I did that too but later.

Heroin always held a certain appeal, and from that first hit, which didn't get me sick until the next day, I knew I'd found home. Home was a big fat lie...

Very true. The advantage of many users here are the age and the time one still have to quit. When you on your 40´s, it´s devastating. Either you stop or die much sooner than expected. No big rushes or fun anymore. Only doses of relief.

I hope you dont mind if i add my input. Although I myself am not a heroin addict, my mother is. The short story for her was she couldnt afford the scrip pills, mainly Oxycodone, and for her the heroin high was more of a bang for her buck.