California Democrats plan to extend Medicaid [Medi-Cal] to illegal immigrants

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
California Democrats plan to extend Medicaid to illegal immigrants

A California lawmaker has pledged to re-introduce a bill that would allow adults who live in the state illegally to receive medical care paid for by the government.

State Assembly member Joaquin Arambula, a Democrat and a doctor, announced the plans Monday as the legislature convened at the state capitol, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Should the bill advance, California would become the first state to extend Medicaid coverage regardless of immigration status. State projections for last year's bill found that 1.8 million people in California are uninsured and reside there illegally; roughly 1.2 million would qualify for Medi-Cal, the name of the state's Medicaid program.

The legislation is being introduced ahead of a new governor entering office. Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom initially had vowed to seek a single-payer healthcare system for the state, but tamped down his rhetoric later in the campaign, focusing instead on extending coverage to the uninsured. Single-payer systems refer to one source of payment for all medical services, usually the government.

Arambula introduced a similar bill last session alongside state Sen. Ricardo Lara, but the final versions would have covered fewer people than they had both originally envisioned. They were narrowed to young adults, between the ages of 19 and 26, and to immigrants over the age of 65. Outgoing Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown refused to fund the provisions in the state budget.

The latest plan would carry an estimated price tag of $3 billion a year, according to California's Legislative Analyst's Office, which would be paid for by the state's general fund. Medicaid is otherwise jointly funded by the state and federal governments.

Critics have questioned whether people in the U.S. illegally would move to California to receive healthcare benefits, which would increase state spending.

Under a Medicaid provision in Obamacare, anyone making less than roughly $17,000 a year qualifies for coverage. That provision, however, doesn't apply to people who are in the U.S. illegally. Emergency departments provide medical care for people regardless of immigration status.

California has already extended Medicaid to people younger than 19 who are in the state illegally.
A lot of the squawk I'm hearing has to do with Americans outside Cali being concerned for federal funds being used to support this. I didn't read that in the article, but sometimes my reading comprehension fails when it comes to things like this.

Still, it does sound like it would make other illegals want to come to Cali for coverage, which will only exacerbate the budget issue. So how do you balance illegals without the rights of an American for coverage, against who pays for it.

Not surprised at all to see Cali leading this initiative.

invegauser

Bluelighter
^ ^^ is that because...

1. they allow illegals to roam free while giving them a heads up when I.C.E. is coming to town

2. they have one of the most popular border crossings

3. they need more hands to dig a canal for a new water supply cause the colorado river is almost dried up? (i got family out there, i've heard the stories)

cduggles

Staff member
California, The Sanctuary State

Edit: I think the state's general fund would supposedly to cover it. That's what I'm seeing in this probably highly biased article. ;)

Edit II: This legislation is unlikely to pass even in California.

Although it probably reflects the reality that Emergency Departments are treating people without regard for immigration status (oh, of course they care) and being bankrupted in the process. It's possibly a hospital lobby pushing this piece of legislation.

Last edited:

cduggles

Staff member
Interesting.

Background: Covered California is federal Medicaid program (it's also the program to sort appplicants out, which is confusing), whereas Medi-Cal is both federally and state-funded.

Medi-Cal is funded equally by state and federal funding.
https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/Medi-cal/pages/default.aspx

Immigrants who are not lawfully present can apply through Covered California to see if they are eligible for health plan options through Medi-Cal, although the benefits may be limited.
https://www.coveredca.com/individuals-and-families/getting-covered/immigrants/

What is the difference in coverage between Medi-Cal and Covered California?

Medi-Cal is health coverage, just like the coverage offered through Covered California. Medi-Cal provides benefits similar to the coverage options available through Covered California, but often at lower or no cost to you or your family. All of the health plans offered through Covered California or by Medi-Cal include the same comprehensive set of benefits known as "essential health benefits.” Essential health benefits consist of:

• Outpatient (Ambulatory) services
  • Emergency services
  • Hospitalization
  • Maternity and Newborn care
  • Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Services, including Behavioral Health Treatment
  • Prescription Drugs
  • Programs such as physical and occupational therapy (known as Rehabilitative & Habilitative Services) and devices
  • Laboratory services
  • Preventive and wellness services & chronic disease management
  • Children’s (Pediatric) services, including oral and vision care.
A recent survey of Medi-Cal members by the California Healthcare Foundation (CHCF) found that 90% of respondents rate Medi-Cal as a good or very good program. Medi-Cal emphasizes prevention-oriented health care that promotes health and well-being and works to ensure members receive the right care at the right time.
https://www.coveredca.com/medi-cal/

Medi-Cal will be the mechanism by which the coverage offered to illegal immigrants is expanded.

Therefore, I'll add a parenthetical to the thread title as the current thread title reflects the article name.

OP, please let me know if this is problematic.

Last edited:

Captain.Heroin

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Life has no meaning, yet I keep searching...
It doesn't cover expensive brand-name only or expensive generic drugs. It seems like the most they'll cover is like $50. If it goes over they expect you to cover it out of pocket 100%.

It's not like an Obamacare policy where I have subsidized health care where I only pay a copay for rx's; this is significantly better, especially if you have expensive rx's.

DrewDogBaby209

Bluelighter
Well it's either give them Health Care which they'll hardly use (Mexicans rarely go to the doctor(trust me) or let them flood the ER which is WAY more expensive. Sounds more of a human rights thing to me... I would think "Christian" conservatives would understand that but they don't. Have conservatives ever heard of compassion... Ever. I thank God all the time (seriously) that He made me a liberal... From what I've read in the Bible It sounds like He was to.

Last edited:

Shadowmeister

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Well Jesus certainly was a liberal. He was basically a radical communist pacifist who said to take from the rich to distribute it among the poor and love everyone in the world as your neighbor. Basically the opposite of modern conservative ideals.

What 23

Bluelighter
How is that Christian? They are taking tax-dollars of people already living there, and diverting them to take care of these others (and if it happens to come from Federal funding, a pool from outside CA itself). It would be "Christian" if they allowed people to choose where their tax-dollars went. Charity is certainly one of the things in Christianity, as well as other religions- They all seem to look highly upon it. Most of them don't theft, however.

The only way for these programs to exist is basically theft. You're/they're forcing people to play along. It requires force, and continued (indefinitely) application of force.

Last edited:

What 23

Bluelighter
And there are limits to the ability to act compassionately. Compassion might be limitless/infinite, but there is a limit to ability/action. And there is a point where helping others can harm yourself. Pathological altruism. Even Jesus wanted to rest one day, when a Canaanite woman begged him for help. His men had to complain to him to tell her to go away, which Jesus tried to do ("I have been sent only to the lost sheep of Israel"), but the woman got real low-- like a dog, and submitted, so she won his heart, and he helped her.

I see this encouraging even more flooding that direction. To CA, from these other regions.

I guess I can see why it would be done. Not alien to it. But the fix for the problem isn't this.

Last edited:

Shadowmeister

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Yet Jesus suggested talking from the rich to provide for the poor. He didn't say "let the rich choose whether or not to give their money to the poor". How is that not stealing? And how is that not Christian? What Jesus said IS Christianity. He also wouldn't have advocated for building a wall.

Anyway I don't think spending some tax dollars towards altruism is pathological or going to damage anyone's life. It will, however, help some people greatly. And as Drew said, if people need medical help badly they'll just go to the ER, which can't turn them down, and then the taxpayer will end up footing a huge bill because the ER is obscenely expensive.

What 23

Bluelighter
Name the verse/reference.

Ah- So I imagine this is damage control. Give them a maintenance option (not just ER). Better to plan ahead, according-to/considering reality.

Last edited:

DrewDogBaby209

Bluelighter
What 23...
Your beloved Trump was a liberal. He just couldn't run as one because he's too stupid. So he ran as a republican bcuz he knew he can trick you guys into believing he was a "hardcore" conservative LOL...
I don't care if your a Trump supporter or not...Jesus was a liberal

Last edited:

cduggles

Staff member
How is that Christian? They are taking tax-dollars of people already living there, and diverting them to take care of these others (and if it happens to come from Federal funding, a pool from outside CA itself).
Jesus was cool with taxation:
"And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him." (Mark 12:17)

He was definitely down with helping the poor and vulnerable:
"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Mark 25:40)

It would be "Christian" if they allowed people to choose where their tax-dollars went. Charity is certainly one of the things in Christianity, as well as other religions- They all seem to look highly upon it. Most of them don't theft, however.
You don't know this from Scripture, so where did you get this knowledge from, a burning bush or Cheesus? (It was a Cheeto that looked like Jesus.)

The only way for these programs to exist is basically theft. You're/they're forcing people to play along. It requires force, and continued (indefinitely) application of force.
Cheesus disagrees.

What 23

Bluelighter
Hmm. I didn't say anything about Trump. I doubt he was liberal, or is liberal, on the side of it's a good idea to make dependents of Central America (why not, at this rate? honestly...why don't they just be qualified for our social programs?), and etc. He's certainly "conservative" when it comes to things like border-security, and illegal aliens. He likes law/rules, when it comes to him being in charge of things.

When you have a lot of lotion, it's easy to apply liberally. When you don't have a lot of lotion, you apply it sparingly. Being liberal or conservative is not really a static state. It's depends on context, and most people throughout history have been highly conservative. Especially when it comes to sharing their land with people not like them, or who don't speak the same language, or religion. Or being forced to pay exorbitant taxes to support an ever-growing population of people that don't represent them, or their interests first. That may present, and represent a more insecure future.

Most people if they perceive they have something to give, something extra, and giving will benefit more than holding on, will do more liberal things. We have been raised in excess, in many respects, in America, and the west. We have a lot of people that perceive nothing is ever going to go wrong, and that they can "afford" to take chances. In many places, throughout many times, this didn't exist. It's not guaranteed in the future, and faith in these vast welfare programs that include other cultures/peoples-- advocacy of them, is advocacy of surrender of sovereignty, on a whole new level.

I didn't say Trump.

What 23

Bluelighter
Christians themselves have a make a choice for themselves whether or not they follow Jesus. Seems very independent from that respect.

tokezu

Bluelighter
lol thread got weird

Well Jesus certainly wasn't a liberal. He was basically a radical communist pacifist who said to take from the rich to distribute it among the poor and love everyone in the world as your neighbor.
ftfy

What Jesus said IS Christianity.
You would think so, but actually Christianity is a lot more about what Paul wrote than about what Jesus said IMO.