• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Caffeine's duration

alfredosauce

Bluelighter
Anyone know? I couldn't really find a definitive answer online. All I could find was half-life info. I drink a big cup of coffee every morning then by 5-6 PM I want another. I never do because people have told me it would keep me up and that caffeine lasts 12 hours? Doesn't feel like it lasts that long at all. Thanks

The rule of thumb with most drugs is usually the half-life times 5 till it's completely eliminated from your system, so I guess since the half-life is caffeine is 6 hours we MIGHT be talking 30 hours till it's COMPLETELY out of your system.

But really, that shouldn't be the case with one cup for example.

6 hours later that should be half a cup, another 6 1/4th a cup, and another 6 so little it's not worth mentioning.

That's usually what I go by.

But IMO it does NOT "last 12 hours".

How long it "lasts" is a subjective question IMO.

You will generally feel the strongest effects the first couple hours after you drink a cup or a few cups IMO.

But with the half-life at 6 hours by 12 hours you shouldn't be feeling it much anymore.

I'm sure I've read what it specifically is before, but I can't quite remember. For me, though, I try to keep any caffeinated drinks before 7:00 in the evening. I can go a bit later than that without having [extra] trouble getting to sleep, but that's a safe distance for me.
So I'd guess around three hours? I'm sure that the half life is considerably longer, but that seems to be the length of the real effects for me.

Oh, also, if you're wanting some caffeine around 5-6, you might want to try yerba mate. It contains a good amount of caffeine, and also theobromine and theophylline, which seem to "calm" the caffeine a bit; less shaking of hands/potential anxiety, etc. On top of that, it contains magnesium, which seems to give it a bit more of a relaxing effect on the body (while still giving a nice, smoother caffeine buzz). From what I've heard (haven't tried it myself yet), a lot of people are able to drink it until pretty late at night without having a problem getting to sleep.

I'll have to try yerba mate, mate! Lol

I get the half life thing like if I had say 200 mg caffeine at 6 PM, then I would be have ~100 mg left in my system at 12 PM. Would that mean drinking caffeine every day around 6 PM (like I would prefer to do) would take a toll on my sleeping patterns? Or would the body develop a tolerance to the effects by the 12 PM?

I think caffeine tolerance more affects how much you feel of it, not necessarily how it affects you. (E.g., you may drink a cup of strong coffee at 6:00 and only feel the caffeine for two hours or something, but it still affects your sleep cycle the same.) Don't take that for fact, but that's how I've always figured it works, and it has seemed to work that way for me.

Yeah, yerba mate is pretty great. It's also seriously inexpensive, you can get a kilo of it on eBay for like $15 (I'm hoping saying that doesn't break any rules about sources/prices, since it's completely legal and common, etc.), which lasts me for a few months. I've found a tasty (and quite nutritious, actually) blend to be yerba mate, hibiscus, ginger, stevia, and jiaogulan. (Jiaogulan is a traditional chinese herb that's good at maintaining healthy heart rate/blood pressure.)