• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Cacao (25x extract) - New Experience - Damnable

Well, strong dark chocolate is delish, so I don't blame you :)

I recently bought some raw (fermented) whole cacao beans from Ivory Coast. If you freeze them and dump them in a coffee grinder, they make for a significantly more stimulating (and filling) drink than any other form of cacao I've had. I can only assume the standard processing to dry and extract the cacao butter (oils) from the beans also takes out a fair proportion of the psychoactive compounds.

Yeah chocolate I heard of people getting on it but as soon as I read it can cause insomnia I didn't bother trying it

Getting high on chocolate now those cool is that, yummy, what chocolate bars in the UK have this "high grade cacao", anyone know?
AHHHHHHHHHH i am a downer i read in columbia night clubs eating cocoa ahahahah i thought it was a troll scheme ;)

Well, strong dark chocolate is delish, so I don't blame you :)

I recently bought some raw (fermented) whole cacao beans from Ivory Coast. If you freeze them and dump them in a coffee grinder, they make for a significantly more stimulating (and filling) drink than any other form of cacao I've had. I can only assume the standard processing to dry and extract the cacao butter (oils) from the beans also takes out a fair proportion of the psychoactive compounds.

You grind it up and strain it, or consume it in it's entirety? After fermentation, what consistency are the beans?

I always thought Cacao nibs to be hiding something aside from their delishishness, inside their rock-like waxy selves...

You grind it up and strain it, or consume it in it's entirety? After fermentation, what consistency are the beans?

I always thought Cacao nibs to be hiding something aside from their delishishness, inside their rock-like waxy selves...

The beans look like this post-fermentation:

Organic_Cacao_Beans_1kg-flat.jpg

I usually consume the whole thing, no waste. The beans are dark chocolate colored inside, and hard and waxy. They taste a bit like a bitter nut to eat raw, and retain a somewhat nutty flavour when ground.

I prefer them ground without the fibrous membrane on, as it produces a smoother drink, but that requires soaking/peeling first, then drying, then freezing in order to grind. So usually I don't bother.

I think if I had a super-dooper coffee grinder I could quickly create a very smooth drink, but with what I have, I tend to end up with a rather coarsely ground product, which produces a gritty drink. If you're prepared to get it very hot, it'll readily melt into a smooth paste though.

Yeah chocolate I heard of people getting on it but as soon as I read it can cause insomnia I didn't bother trying it

Getting high on chocolate now those cool is that, yummy, what chocolate bars in the UK have this "high grade cacao", anyone know?

I'm not actually sure if there are any raw cacao chocolate bars. I tried making some myself and they weren't particularly nice lol. This is partly because raw cacao is quite a bit more bitter than traditional cocoa, and has a less mellow flavour.

Regular commercial cocoa is processed from raw cacao by roasting it at high temperatures and then alkalinizing it, both of which destroy a considerable amount of 'good stuff' and change it's flavour and mouth feel.

On the plus side the artificial processing does 'unlock' some nutrients for absorption which would normally just pass straight through the gut (due to natural chemicals and enzymes in the raw cacao designed to discourage animals from eating the seeds).

I'm not actually sure if there are any raw cacao chocolate bars. I tried making some myself and they weren't particularly nice lol. This is partly because raw cacao is quite a bit more bitter than traditional cocoa, and has a less mellow flavour

Oh right I thought I read of really high percent dark chocolate and cacao makes you high, maybe I'll give it a miss then as them gritty nibs sounds rank lol

The beans look like this post-fermentation:

Organic_Cacao_Beans_1kg-flat.jpg

I usually consume the whole thing, no waste. The beans are dark chocolate colored inside, and hard and waxy. They taste a bit like a bitter nut to eat raw, and retain a somewhat nutty flavour when ground.

I prefer them ground without the fibrous membrane on, as it produces a smoother drink, but that requires soaking/peeling first, then drying, then freezing in order to grind. So usually I don't bother.

I think if I had a super-dooper coffee grinder I could quickly create a very smooth drink, but with what I have, I tend to end up with a rather coarsely ground product, which produces a gritty drink. If you're prepared to get it very hot, it'll readily melt into a smooth paste though.

Okay, so those were the kind I have had. I did not know they were fermented. Ever since I had chocolate in it's natural state, I have always wanted it as close to that as possible. Dark, dark chocolate.

Reactions: CFC
If you want lots of Theobromine, drink yerba mate. Start in low amounts like a tablespoon for 236ml or 8 oz of hot water-do not use boiling water unless you want it extremely bitter-steep for 5-10 minutes, and you can drink it hot or iced mixed with fruit juice, mint, or add sweeteners if you want. The pure leaf yerbas such as Federico la mejor and others that are processed this way are very strong.

You can reuse the leaves 2-3x. The teabags are not bad but I usually use two or three, or just re-steep one two or three times.

There uses to be a vidéo on YouTube about a chemist extracting theobromine from Van Houten chocolaté powder, He reported it as being locally anaesthetic and as stimulating as caféine. High doses of caféine make me sleepy and drowsy whereas just a cup make me more alert. Xanthines are weird in their mode of action. High doses affect opioïd réceptors if I remember right

Oh right I thought I read of really high percent dark chocolate and cacao makes you high, maybe I'll give it a miss then as them gritty nibs sounds rank lol

Raw cacao nibs grind up more easily than the whole raw bean as they're processed in a machine to remove the cacao butter. However, ime, you do get a stronger psychoactive kick from a drink made from the whole bean.

There uses to be a vidéo on YouTube about a chemist extracting theobromine from Van Houten chocolaté powder, He reported it as being locally anaesthetic and as stimulating as caféine. High doses of caféine make me sleepy and drowsy whereas just a cup make me more alert. Xanthines are weird in their mode of action. High doses affect opioïd réceptors if I remember right
Yes xanthines in yerba mate actually relax me and make me sleep. It is not like L-theanine from green tea but I can drink yerba late at night and it relaxes me and makes me sleep. I have had Guayusa but it is now super expensive, and I cannot easily buy it in stores like I once could. I found illex Guayusa to be very mild despite how it has a large percentage of caffeine but it also has L-theanine.

nibs are less likely to have an effect than highly concentrated black chocolate. been experimenting with this shit for years to know. ive done raw cocoa powders, beans, nibs you name it. then i have those high dark chocolate bars, and it hits you in the fucking head. im surprised this shit is legal honestly. its too strong. Now, im not stimulant type of guy so i do not really enjoy it, BUT it will probably benefit most people who are stimulant addicts and wish to quit drugs, or even caffeine. the shitty part is, good luck finding good reliable source as i have had on and off experiences with the same damn company bars year apart. and its not even tolerance or anything like that since i hardly consume the stuff. not sure you know this, but cocoa is highly toxic to most forms of life! and since humans are SPECIAL, we kind of get around it lol!!

Reactions: CFC
I have had Guayusa but it is now super expensive, and I cannot easily buy it in stores like I once could. I found illex Guayusa to be very mild despite how it has a large percentage of caffeine but it also has L-theanine.
Guayusa is good. It's very relaxing. I never grind it up, just use a tea strainer

Coffee is and always will be my favorite caffeine source, that said I’ve done much experimentation over the years...

Green Tea - Relaxing short acting mild stimulant, depending on the tea sometimes more sedating than stimulating.

Black Tea - A bit more punch than green, still short acting though with a sedating groggy finish.

Yerba Mate - In my opinion one of the more euphoric xanthine containing plants, great for music appreciation. That said there is a grogginess and blurred vision effect that doesn’t make it conducive for getting work done, more recreational. Not nearly the sedating finish of tea, kind of a slow comedown effect, also no harsh drop off like coffee.

Guayusa - Hate the taste. Effects seem like an in between of Yerba and Tea. Not too much experience with this one.

Cacao - Euphoric, satisfies, it’s not so much a high as it is the right “spot” getting hit. Unfortunately I also get headaches despite how much I like it.

Coffee - Good shit. We all know this one.

Pure caffeine - Surprisingly euphoric, steady and standardized feel with little wiggle room. Shorter acting than coffee or Yerba.

I do have my hands on pure Theobromine too, if you guys would like I’d be willing to eat some in the name of science ;) I’ve been curious to try the “chocolate ratio” which is I believe 15-25mg caffeine mixed with 150-175mg theobromine.

-GC

lol if you find caffeine euphoric, then damn, more power to you man. thats the easiest most widely available shit out there, and you actually get euphoria on it?? wow! im so jealous, as this crap just makes me super angry, depressed irritable and gives me insomnia and makes me miserable in general. I just cannot believe anyone can get high on caffeine honestly. I know there are millions of people who are addicted to this garbage, BUT not to the point of actually feeling real euphoria and gettng high... wow!

lol if you find caffeine euphoric, then damn, more power to you man. thats the easiest most widely available shit out there, and you actually get euphoria on it?? wow! im so jealous, as this crap just makes me super angry, depressed irritable and gives me insomnia and makes me miserable in general. I just cannot believe anyone can get high on caffeine honestly. I know there are millions of people who are addicted to this garbage, BUT not to the point of actually feeling real euphoria and gettng high... wow!

Everyone is different.

I find caffeine anxiety inducing, makes me jittery and irritable... it's not a pleasant experience for me... yet it's quite obvious many people do find it pleasurable.

Every body is different and it surprises even me different ways I react to different drugs. I LOVE benzos and opioids yet some of them I paradoxically find dysphoric and manic and other bad things.

To each his own in opinion and chemistry.