• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids By how much does grapefruit juice potentiate?

I_Stay_Dead

Bluelighter
By how much does grapefruit juice potentiate? If someone was to take 2 grams of oral morphine, by how much would drinking golden (AKA white) grapefruit juice potentiate, also does the amount of grapefruit juice (GFJ) affect it? I mean I know drinking two small glasses would be better than one, but is there a cut off when you don't need to drink any more, or is it a proportional relationship, ie. the more you drink the more potentiation? Basically if someone was to take 2 grams of morphine because that's what they take sometimes, and it gets them high as a kite, what would the equivalent be due to potentiation? By this I mean would it boost the morphine to 2.2 grams for example? (or 2200 mg if you prefer it like that.) Let's say this person was to take diphenhydramine and promethazine too at the stated dose on the packet.

I know there's a lot of questions, I wanted to explain myself clearly to prevent someone from possibly OD'ing due to over potentiation.

Thanks for reading. :)

It doesn't potentiate it, it will just extend the time you are high by slowing the metabolism. You might get a little higher due to less of the morphine being metabolized right away, but I doubt there is a percentage anyone can give you and it's probably very variable amongst users.

Yeah, there is no magic number of glasses. White grapefruit juice is what you want. Just drink a couple glasses prior and maybe a couple while high.

I just thought I'd also add that 10% potentiation would probably be quite a lot, maybe more then you could really expect from grapefruit juice.

Is white the same as golden? I couldn't see any white for sale in a huge supermarket.

^ I've never heard of golden grapefruit juice... only white or ruby. White is the best but I believe all kinds of grapefruits contain the substance you want, just in lesser quantities. Someone else can probably verify this for you I am not sure here and am not in the mood for googling right now as I am trying to listen to Bitches Brew.

^ I've looked at the pics, golden is the same as white grapefruit I think (I'm not sure,) also on the Wikipedia page it says morphine isn't affected, however on other forums I've read that it potentiates morphine, so I'm not sure what the truth is.

It prevents morphine from being metabolized by CYP3A4, so will extend the half-life somewhat. Is it just not listed on wikipedia? There are a lot of drugs affected by this interaction so it's understandable they would leave some out.

First, that comment above about grapefruit juice and morphine (wiki quote) is quite interesting. I haven't combined the two.

However, I do know that as everyone said - the answer to your question is that there is no one answer. The degree of how well or how much GF juice potentiates an opiate varies person to person. It seems to (when I drink it with opiates such as oxycodone) to make the high last a bit longer. Does it seem more 'intense'? Hmm, that I am not sure. Someone above said 'no' - placeabo perhaps, but I think that it DOES make the high a little stronger. It makes (again - for me) a little bit go a long way (or more than it would w/o the GF juice).

Bottom line : Test it out! See how the combo works for you. Let us know! *Most importantly check out the opiate potentiation thread. It's good.

I See Dead: With no citations I see. Check out this link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12936704

A study into the metabolization of morphine into nor-morphine via CYP3A4.

Also, the quote regarding codeine fails to take into account that for most people there is a limit to how much morphine they can metabolize out of codeine anyway due to the way in which CYP2D6 (the enzyme responsible) functions.

In conclusion; don't trust Wikipedia.

^ Yeah any fool can edit Wiki. I'll check out the link, also I'll report back Woa.

in my body, GFJ kicks up oxy a notch definitely. but its not super strong. i feel kinda half faded for a long time too... but not always still euphoric. i drink a lot of the white (golden colored juice) too

So I tried this GFJ thing and it made my codeine dose last longer but not as energetic. promethazine is choice for making opiates last longer imo, especially for codeine.

yea it does, but only like the first couple of times does it hit you hard. the first time i mixed grapefruit juice with opiates it doubled my high but after that it didnt really work.

Eat a grapefruit. Just peel it, split the segments and try to eat it all (except the pips). The white pithy stuff on the outside of the fruit contains far higher amounts of the enzyme you want than any juice.

You can still drink the carton juice as well later to top up,;)can't have too much grapefruit....one of your '5 a day' and all that...

Yeah I've tried it and I can see a difference; I think eating a whole grapefruit is better than the store bought juice

Eat a grapefruit. Just peel it, split the segments and try to eat it all (except the pips). The white pithy stuff on the outside of the fruit contains far higher amounts of the enzyme you want than any juice.

You can still drink the carton juice as well later to top up,;)can't have too much grapefruit....one of your '5 a day' and all that...

Totally agree with that. Have been using the small yellow organic ones (they taste better ;p) and waiting about an hour before dosing with Trams and/or codeine.

btw I think sr 200 trams are better due to the metabolic process? any thoughts?

Hari Om
edtree