European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

Buying codeine OTC

Survival0200

Bluelighter
Just wanted to ask other people's input towards buying codeine OTC (on countries where it's available).

I feel really guilty every time I go buying it -- you guys feel the same? :ROFLMAO:

And when I go buying it I never buy *just* the codeine -- I have to buy something else at the same time, so it wouldn't seem like I'm just after the codeine.

Like: "Hi! I'd like to have a bottle of Listerine. Yeah, thanks! ... By the way, do you have those codeine pills? I could take those too."

Do you have to go to different pharmacies, because they get to know you? ("That's that codeine guy again. He always buys codeine.")

I don't know where you live, but in the UK there's no need to feel guilty as low dose codeine formulations are a perfectly legal over the counter analgesic.

Tbh, if I was a pharmacist, your approach would set alarm bells ringing. Asking for a bottle of Listerine and then as an afterthought "oh yeh, a fuckton of codeine as well".

Just walk straight up to the counter bold as brass and say "a packet of generic co-codamol please". You'll get the standard questions "are they for yourself?", "have you used them before?" and "don't take for more than three days". Job done. Asking for other stuff first seems suspicious. If you need analgesia then you're not going to ask for Listerine first. Plus it's an unnecessary expense.

You definitely need to rotate pharmacies though as regular purchases will get noticed. My friend's wife was refused service from every pharmacy in town and had to resort to paying people to buy them for her. She eventually died from multiple organ failure as she was taking a full packet of 32 every day without extracting the paracetamol.

Also, if you are in the UK you don't have to stick to dedicated pharmacies. Tesco's, Sainsbury's and Asda all have in store pharmacies, so even in a small town there are usually enough options to be able to rotate your purchases without raising an eyebrow.

Oh, try not to look like a druggie... :D

you must do Cold Water Extraction if you're buying it in combos. paracetemol is really dangerous

I'm not sure, but as it's an OTC med you may be able to buy it from online pharamcies to save you having to brave the pharamcist in person

Pure codeine is much safer if used sensibly because it doesn't have the paracetemol, so in the interests of harm reducion I'll say it is possible to aquire pure codine and DHC from some sites if you know where to look ;)

Peronally, I have never found either codeine or DHC very effective either as an analgesic or recreationally. Some people lack the required enzyme for them to work I believe

Waste of time buying codeine preps in the UK unlessyou have no tollerance as the max is 8mg or 4mg i think without a script. On the continent you can get 20mg without paracetamol. btw the max you can take in a day is 4g's or 4000mg of paracetamol liver failure is a nasty way to go.

You can still buy the bottles of codeine online and is much better than having to fanny around extracting paracetamol. Much easier and there is a plethora of websites available to use.

the bottles are stuffed full of sugar though - one of the worst drugs IMO - I would go for pure pills if codeine is what you want

There is a sugar free version though it’s loaded with sorbitol. A chemical sweetener which causes diarrhoea.

You definitely need to rotate pharmacies though as regular purchases will get noticed. My friend's wife was refused service from every pharmacy in town and had to resort to paying people to buy them for her. She eventually died from multiple organ failure as she was taking a full packet of 32 every day without extracting the paracetamol.

oh God that's horrific 😟 Did her liver fail?

Paracetamol is so damaging and yet it's so ubiquitous and widely available

You can still buy the bottles of codeine online and is much better than having to fanny around extracting paracetamol. Much easier and there is a plethora of websites available to use.
Not anymore, you can still find it in online pharmacies but the price has become ridiculous. I known prices are off limits but let's just say the cheapest is 3-4 times what it used to cost when most real life pharmacies stocked it (same price as a standard bottle of cough medicine). The most expensive I've seen is around 10 times this cost! So it's not really worth bothering with, it'd be more cost effective to change your drug of choice or at least formulation of choice

Last edited:
Oddly enough:

For the first time in my (relatively) long life only since last year did I start seeing signs in pharmacies where any codeine containing pharmaceuticals were either being limited and/or the pharmacist is not allowed to dispense two different codeine containing pharmaceuticals to a single customer. Been wondering what's up with that i.e. was quite surprised when a customer in front of me, just the other day, was forced to make a choice between two different OTC pain killers (because both contained codeine).
Every pharmacy in my city used to stock either codeine linctus or gees linctus 5 years ago, then you started seeing less and less places with it on the shelf. A few years later and there was only a handful of pharmacies left that stock it. Now there is only one that I know of.
I've also been at this long enough to remember every time boots raised the price of Co codamol from £1.09 a pack to the £2.99 it is today! Might not seem huge but it still pissed me off every time I'd walk in and see another 20,30,40p price rise.

Last edited:
I don't know where you live, but in the UK there's no need to feel guilty as low dose codeine formulations are a perfectly legal over the counter analgesic.

I usually buy this cough syrup, and I feel guilty, because I don't have a cough. :D And it's shameful if they ask you to cough.

I think they also might ask you if you've been tested for corona virus, because you have a cough. (Haven't been asked yet, though.)

My best mate ended up being refused in every chemist in our city. He used to plead with me to go do a codeine Run for him. I had to go in a lot for him to drive to another town. Sadly he passed away nearly 4 years ago he was eating 32 Nurofen Plus a day for years and very little else. He ended up with anorexia and passed away suddenly in his early forties. I tried so hard to get him off them to no avail. Miss him so much

My best mate ended up being refused in every chemist in our city. He used to plead with me to go do a codeine Run for him. I had to go in a lot for him to drive to another town. Sadly he passed away nearly 4 years ago he was eating 32 Nurofen Plus a day for years and very little else. He ended up with anorexia and passed away suddenly in his early forties. I tried so hard to get him off them to no avail. Miss him so much

That's so sad.

It seems so fucking misguided that they ban codeine. Or insist on combining it with more harmful substances.

You're unlikely to die from codeine alone. And it's a lot more dangerous to force people to find other opioids.

Here in Australia codeine combination products used to be available without a prescription. Then they made it prescription only, but crazily... It seems they didn't make the existing drugs available with a prescription.

If you want codeine now you have to get the higher strength and not the lower strengths that used to be available.

's so sad.

It seems so fucking misguided that they ban codeine. Or insist on combining it with more harmful substances.

You're unlikely to die from codeine alone. And it's a lot more dangerous to force people to find other opioids.

Here in Australia codeine combination products used to be available without a prescription. Then they made it prescription only, but crazily... It seems they didn't make the existing drugs available with a prescription.

If you want codeine now you have to get the higher strength and not the lower strengths that used to be available.
Thanks Jess

you must do Cold Water Extraction if you're buying it in combos. paracetemol is really dangerous

I'm not sure, but as it's an OTC med you may be able to buy it from online pharamcies to save you having to brave the pharamcist in person

Pure codeine is much safer if used sensibly because it doesn't have the paracetemol, so in the interests of harm reducion I'll say it is possible to aquire pure codine and DHC from some sites if you know where to look ;)

Peronally, I have never found either codeine or DHC very effective either as an analgesic or recreationally. Some people lack the required enzyme for them to work I believe
Always use ethanol to do the extraction pink capsule co codamol from boots is best for that put it in capsule and swallow it

Tbh, if I was a pharmacist, your approach would set alarm bells ringing. Asking for a bottle of Listerine and then as an afterthought "oh yeh, a fuckton of codeine as well".

Just walk straight up to the counter bold as brass and say "a packet of generic co-codamol please". You'll get the standard questions "are they for yourself?", "have you used them before?" and "don't take for more than three days". Job done. Asking for other stuff first seems suspicious. If you need analgesia then you're not going to ask for Listerine first. Plus it's an unnecessary expense.

Also, if you are in the UK you don't have to stick to dedicated pharmacies. Tesco's, Sainsbury's and Asda all have in store pharmacies, so even in a small town there are usually enough options to be able to rotate your purchases without raising an eyebrow.

Oh, try not to look like a druggie... :D
Go to boots get the pink capsule do a ethanol extraction of it let the paracetamol settle and evaporate on a low heat you get good strong codeine then

Use ethanol rather than water you get all the codeine stir for 30mins and let the paracetamol settle and pour off evaporate at a low heat

You need nerves of steel and a brass neck. The only way to practise is by going into a crowded pharmacy and saying in a loud steady voice "I WANT YOU TO SELL ME ONE OF THOSE LITTLE RUBBER THINGS TO WEAR ON THE END OF MY COCK"

Without blushing if possible.

When you have achieved that move on to codeine grasshopper.

My downfall was forgetting which pharmacies I'd visited that week so an alert young woman said "Youve had one of these today - and you look like the childcatcher from chitty chitty you jakey fucker. You can have this one but then please fuck off". I left shamefaced.

Last edited: