• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Busbpar (Busiprone) With Tramadol.

Sisco0123

Greenlighter
So didn't know on if I should put it in Benzos or Opioid thread, Technically Busiprone isn't a Benzo so that's why I put it in Opioid. ANYWAYS To the story.

I take 200mg Tramadol a Day for my pain, I also have really bad anxiety and was prescribed Busiprone. I didn't ask my doc if it would be okay to mix these two together. So that being said I'm relying on you knowledgeable fellas. Would I be fine taking my 200mg Tramadol with 5-10mg of Busbpar? I know tramadol's can cause seizures that's why I am asking. It has been about 8 Hours since I took my Tramadol which i took at 12PM and I don't plan on taking anymore tonight.

I would treat it with caution, I never took buspar but it says on the wiki that it has no gaba receptor action unlike benzos. it says too that one of the more serious side effects that can appear is serotononin syndrome, well that's bad news considering how tramadol has an impact as a snri too. You should check this out with the doctor, tramadol has a halflife of 6 hours-7hours, the IR version, and 12 hours approx the ER so in 8 hours it didn't leave your body at all.

I will research the buspar a bit more to see how it could cause the serotonin syndrome, more likely due to the 5ht receptors. also I see that buspar is metabolized by the cyp3a4 enzyme too, so it may delay the metabolization of tramadol to o-desmethyltramadol. if the serotonin action is strong, I would recommend changing the opioid, maybe to codeine? this two are the only medication you take togheter? did your doctor prescribe both? or were the two drugs prescribed by different doctors?

At those doses, probably no, but potentially yes.

I've seen people prescribed pro-serotonergic antidepressants drugs (ie., those unlike mirtazapine and etc) and tramadol without issue, but i've also seen a death involving therapeutic doses of an antidepressant and supratherapeutic (high doses) of tramadol that I believe could have been attributed to their interaction. I would leave it to your physician ultimately.

Buspirone is a serotonin agonist at 5ht 1a receptors. Combing this (an agonist) with tramadol (a reuptake inhibitor) should be generally avoided. The buspirone will release serotonin while the tramadol will not let it return to synaptic vesicles, potentially causing a toxic amount of serotonin to flood your brain i.e. serotonin syndrome. Luckily the doses of buspirone you are taking are relatively low, if you were on 30mg or more a few times a day I would say absolutely do not take the combo. But while you might be okn still tread with caution, maybe try lowering one of the meds first to see how you respond.

I will probably put this combo in the dangerous drug Sticky if it is not there already.

In accordance, an animal study found that buspirone dose-dependently decreases serotonin levels in specific brain areas while increasing dopamine and norepinephrine levels .

As stated above, the incident of SS with buspirone is much less than with something like an anti depressant. Conservative doses are prudent though of course.

If you can't contact your doctor easily, checking with your pharmacist can help too if there's any doubt.

Thank you guys, I decided to not take it that night and I guess I'll just take one or the other to be safe. Would I have to wait the full 2-3 days for the tramadol to fully leave my body or would I be fine to take my buspirone for today?

How much time has passed exactly? A minimum of 24-32 hours would be great.

In other cases when tramadol was taken for a long period of time, it's better to wait even more, 2-3 days at least.

How much time has passed exactly? A minimum of 24-32 hours would be great.

In other cases when tramadol was taken for a long period of time, it's better to wait even more, 2-3 days at least.
I took 200mg at 12:30 PM yesterday so 27 hours currently.

The SNRI effect of Tramadol with the increase in Dopamine + Norepinepherine release seems more problematic than SS.

The elimination half-life for tramadol is 6 hours and the active metabolite has a slightly longer half-life of 7.5 hours.

18-21 hours is roughly 3 half lives and will have levels below a threshold dose.

The SNRI effect of Tramadol with the increase in Dopamine + Norepinepherine release seems more problematic than SS.

18-21 hours is roughly 3 half lives and will have levels below a threshold dose.

That being said I should be Okay to dose my Busiprone correct?