• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Buprenorphine - Safety Advice for Splitting Pill

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Hi all, I have a 8mg subutex pill which I am going to take for a recreational purpose. I've read online as much as I can and with no tolerance it seems 0.2mg snorted will easily be enough to get my 'high' as it will. That's not really my question though.

I have no scales what so ever so I need to some advice on how to safely to split the pill. So with safety in mind (kind of) I'm thinking of just scraping off a minuscule amount, crush up and snort. If this has no effect after 1-1.5 hours then doing the same again (same amount or smaller).

Opinions/advice on this would be much appreciated, thank you.

I'm a tad confused here as I've never taken that particular drug but are you talking about 1/4 of a pill or 1/40 of a pill? If you're talking about only needing 1/40 then I think you're SOL. Even if those pills are of a normal size, it would be nearly impossible to eyeball that small an amount. And if it's actually 1/4 then you should have little trouble making that happen IMO. Good luck and please be safe!

Weigh the pill, crush it into a powder then divvy out (pill weight)/40 of powder for a ~0.2mg dose. B sure the powders uniform/no chunks

Unfortunately I have no scales at all. Maybe I'll have to just keep this baby under wraps until I get some scales. Unless anyone else has any other ideas?

Given your lack of access to adequate scales, there is no way you can accurately measure out sub-mg doses.

With that said, your original gameplan is the best you can do, and mind you small margins of error shouldn't be too disastrous as even with very little tolerance you should easily be able to safely tolerate doses of up to 2mg with little else but nausea (I strongly advise against taking such a dose, but just in the sense that if you mess up, the partial agonism of buprenorphine means its respiratory depression is quite low, making OD potential subsequently minimal). To best achieve such a small starting dose, start by splitting the pill in half, then half again, then half again (so into 1mg chunks at this point). That shouldn't be too hard even with the hi-tech pill formulation (the smallest subutex pill on the market), after that, split what you eyeball to be around 1/4 of those 1mg chunks, crush those up, and snort away. Once you get to chunks lower than 1mg, taking small pieces and making them into lines is really not that reckless.

The more important thing is to wait an adequate amount of time prior to redosing, once you take your small micro-lines, give it a MINIMUM of 2 hours prior to redosing, I have had numerous experiences with low dose burprenorphine and the most salient piece of advice I can give you from them is this very point, impatience will be your demise (at least in regards to yacking your guts out for the next 12 hours).

Again, I realize it is unfortunate there isn't some surefire way of measuring these doses, but by having an amount of powder you know cannot exceed 1mg, you prevent any possibility of overdosing.

Feel free to PM me with any additional questions.

Volumetric dosing would allow you to easily and safely measure out however much of that pill you want to take...

Thanks a lot dirzted my plan worked perfectly and got a very lovely buzz. Could you recommend after the high / sleeping etc could I redose? I mean information about half life etc. I’ve also read that you can’t get a buzz off subutex after the first time you’ve taken it? I’m also interested in addiction and withdrawals. Do you get as physically addicted to subutex like any other opioit (I’m guessing yes) and say if I were to take say 16 mgs over the course of a week would I expience similar opiate withdrawal. Please note this is for information purposes I do not plan on doing this. I’ve had enough addictions in my life to now start an opiate like addiction.

Forgive any spelling I’m pretty drunk right now and on my phone.

mean information about half life etc. I’ve also read that you can’t get a buzz off subutex after the first time you’ve taken it?.
No, it takes alot more use to get no effect from it.

Do you get as physically addicted to subutex like any other opioit (I’m guessing yes) and say if I were to take say 16 mgs over the course of a week would I expience similar opiate withdrawal. P
No. I've done that alot of times (with more bupe) with no WD. You can probably imagine yourself up some withdrawal, but the physical part won't be noticeable.

Mentally? That can be harder on you. I didn't make it.

No, it takes alot more use to get no effect from it.

No. I've done that alot of times (with more bupe) with no WD. You can probably imagine yourself up some withdrawal, but the physical part won't be noticeable.

Mentally? That can be harder on you. I didn't make it.

Thanks for the info because unfortunately I've been abusing bupe since I made this thread. How long do you usually wait to redose once you've hit your satisfactory high?

I second the volume way to figure out a very small dose. Mix a known dose in a set amount of liquid (for this case water should do fine) and have a way to accurately measure a very small amount of that liquid (example an oral syringe) . Do the math for your setup and its easily possible without a scale.

What about binders etc? Some may soluble some maybe not? I don't know.

^Any insoluble binders would simply be floating around in the volumetric solution, settling down into the bottom. It still wouldn't stop the bupe from dissolving. Shaking the volumetric container each time before you dose would probably be a good idea as well.

Edit: This is only for oral volumetric dosing.

Last edited:
What about binders etc? Some may soluble some maybe not? I don't know.
How are you going to take? Obviously not IV/IM. Are you thinking of swallowing it? Don't.

I assume you are going to take it sublingually, but IME: it gets a shitload of harder when the bupe is already with water; I mean, it's already somewhat difficult not to swallow some of it when you take a pill sublingually, as you get a spitball in your mouth.

I'd say you should shove it up where the sun don't shine. It's cheaper as well, and doesn't turn into abuse just because of.