• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Buprenorphine Questions

Phil.McKeer

Bluelighter
Hi BL, I absolutely love buprenorphine. It helped me quit H painlessly and is an awesome substance all around (some report not having such a good experience with it and I'm happy to say that I am not among that minority).

Anyways, I have a couple questions for anyone with more experience than myself:

1. Regarding tolerance - will any amount of opioid abstinence get me back to the point where 2mg of bupe gets me high? I remember years ago when I was starting my H "career" I got a sub from my hookup just for gits n' shiggles ("it's an opioid? I love those, I'll take one"). I took 2mg and it got me high as hell. I took 4mg and was nodding for 12 hours and high for two days. I loved that. Fast forward to now, with my tolerance where it is, I don't really "feel" buprenorphine at any dosage level. How long does it take for me to return to my "virgin" state? Is it even possible?

2. What would be any long term consequences of taking <1mg/day of buprenorphine/day for its anxiolytic and anti-depressive properties?

Most people who have used opiates heavily will never get their tolerance all the way down to the way it was before ever using even after a long period of abstinence but it's different for everyone, and it permanently changes your brain. Bupe is notorious for jacking your tolerance up even if you use it for shorter amounts of time like just a few weeks. If you're able to it's good to take a tolerance break which you can do without quitting cold turkey although it will take longer. You could take just enough to keep you well and taper down at your own pace so that way you'll be able to get higher off a smaller amount. This can take even longer with bupe as it has a very long half life but it would be worth it.

As far as long term use, the main problem is dependence and when you quit altogether or taper too fast you can have lingering anxiety and depression after the acute withdrawals are over. Other than that I'm not sure about other complications unless you're shooting it (don't start if you aren't already doing it) in which case it will damage your veins and the risks are high but that goes for any drug that's injected. You can always ask the doctor if you decide to go to a clinic. Hope this helps you at least a little but if not, the others will have plenty of knowledge to share. By the way congrats on quitting heroin :)

Thanks SP, that's mostly what I figured. And no, I'm not slamming it XD

Side note - I like to snort my subutex. Anyone know if I get drips, is it too late to absorb? Are there mucous membranes down far enough to where I can taste the drip, or is that all getting "eaten" and wasted? I want to be efficient here, dammit =D

Edit: I slam nothing. I will only take injections of pharmaceutical grade substances only, administered by a medical professional only, just for the world to know. You know, safety and harm reduction and all that.