• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe buprenorphine patches

WHAT TO DO WITH USED NORSPAN OR BUTRANS PATCHES
I am not sure where to put this info BUT it is important...
Perhaps someone can copy and paste parts of it so that any time someone needs help for this particular thread it can be added
It is easy enough to loose a patch or mis use a patch and all of a sudden you are either low or out and you face WD
Let me tell you Butrans or Norspan patch WD is not pleasant
It has a long half life so WD dont even start until 3 days after removal of patch and last about 2 to 3 weeks not like oxy 4 or 5 days
What to do...I have read so much Bull$#t on here about soaking in ethanol or whiskey putting in microwave for 15 mins [do not do this !! please ]
We all take off our old patches and wonder how much Bupe is still in them .....a lot is all I can say
Now tell me all you fancy ways to extract all the wasted goodness again but you will kill yourselves using some of these methods
All you have to do is this...
Step one : Remove old patch cut out the middle area the matrix...its not easy to see but you can do it discard plaster part and you are left with a small square size depends on what size patch you are using 20mg being the biggest
Step two:cut this square into smaller strips at least 10 strips usually with bigger sizes around 30...be careful as they are still a bit sticky and easy to loose
Step three: Pop strips in a small glass a shot glass even a vit bottle with lid just make sure its glass
Step four : Add about 10 to 20 mls of water more or less it is not precise enough to cover strips and a bit make sure strips are not glued together but are moving freely in water *Note I use boiling water
Step five :Add a splash of vinegar go by how much water you are using...use about 1/4 vinegar *NOTE apple cider vinegar is best but you can use any white brown but not balsamic !!
NOTE* Vinegar is a mild acid that helps draw out the Bupe left on patch
Step six:pop in Microwave for say 23 sec on high just long enough for the mixture to blend
Step seven: store in cool place for at least 3 days soaking...you can top up water a bit as it evaporates and it will go down a bit each day
Rotate this method with all your old patches...or just keep adding more strips and water and vinegar to brew
Use your brains as to how much water how much vinegar you will soon find out what is best...
Now you can use this...how ? you ask
Just take a tiny sip and swirl around your mouth leave it in for as long as you can 15 mins is best swallow [I swallow] or spit out
You can also plug this for even better results but be warned the vineger is an irritant but it can be done
**WARNING !!!!! Do not IV this mixture it will kill you all that bacteria and vinegar JUST DONT anything sitting for 3 days gathers dust mould and God only knows
Now this works !! I have been doing it for years...I suppose you could also soak patches in say Vodka but best not to be drunk I think
There really is no need for ethanol or menthol or 100% proof alcohol this way is much better and much safer and you dont need to worry about WD if you run out early
Cheers Stell

I'm not really sure why one would want too mix a patch that has been on your skin for 7 days although i have done it but will never again as it was a firty feeling! Think of all the bacteria and bugs on our skin that would be on the patch after taking it off your body!
This would really be desperate measures that really could lead to much more things than going into WDs. I've been an opiate addict for 25yrs and this is something pretty damn desperate no offense ment as us addicts do some pretty damn desperate things from time to time.
As i don't really advise mixing up patches due to all the adhesive that has to travel through your heart and organs (stands to reason) i definitely wouldn't advise this.
WHAT TO DO WITH USED NORSPAN OR BRUTRANS PATCHES... chuck em out!

Last edited:
Ok so I'm a dickhead and have fucked up again. I prepared 2×20ug/hr patches for IV injection last night which i try and stay away from these day's but ran out of my Suboxone T/As and didn't wanna be sick today. I woke up and mixed up my patches after soaking them all night in my preferred solutuon and injected. My viens are ruined after 25yrs of use and with using a butterfly i thought i was in as blood was comming back up the butterfly at a decent rate but I've missed and now the bottom of my arm has swelled up like a baloon. It's really strange because it worked, got me high and I'm not sick for the day but at what cost. I think I'll have to be off to the hospital tomorrow or tonight (depending how red it gets) to get it checked out and get put on antibiotics because now my arm is full of adhesive. I'm a complete idiot and am fully aware of this but i guess I am writing this to warn people again that it is stupid to inject these patches. My arm is full of adhesive with a continuous dull ache. This has happened to me before a few times so I'm not over worried but i am still worried to say the least. It's strange because sometimes these patches inject fine without problems and sometimes they don't but obviously I have missed which doesn't make sense due to the jack back off blood. Doing stupid things like this is why i went back on Suboxone so I stop doing things like this but without trying to justify myself to myself i am a text book drug addict that keeps going baxk and back as I have for 25yrs.
Please don't even bother to inject these patches although they will get you high as fuck at what cost. I am a god damn idiot a will not be doing this again anytime soon. I like my arm and want too keep it!!!

Well luckily the swelling and redness reduced a lot over the night a few day's ago so no hospital needed but still scares me a lot. I will still be doing my best to avoid injecting these patches but i am a chronic addict. Next time I might mix them up and plug, that'll be interesting as long as the vineger doesn't aggravate my bum it should be very interesting to see how strong the effects are compared to injecting these patches which gets smashed and puts you on tge blink big time.

Help!!!!!!

I have MS and mild MD, I've tired to stay off meds for as long as I can. I've been taking 5mg Roxy's a few times a day and it's not cutting it. I was just put on 5mg of butrans, and I feel like my pain is works. I take the Roxy's for break through. I am not naive to opiates; just the combo. I am 2 weeks in. I feel like s***. I just chewed the clear patch from last week after taking a couple break thru's.... I'm finding myself drinking to try to help. Any input would be great. I take Klonipin also. I am having that bumped as muscle relaxants screw my balance and liver up. I just want to be functional. Everyone on here am has so much knowledge, I love it. I was first give bupe in Mexico for an a fall I had. Now here in the US I feel like they're not nearly as effective. I place on a Friday and Sat I'm worthless and sleep after that, my pain is worse. It's like the Crakin is rising. I just want to be active again. As functional as one in my state can be. I don't think I'm asking too much with all the meds out there. My doc said if this didn't work we would try and XR instead. What do you think?? It's been 4 years, managed 2 with out pain meds. I'm only 36 so I know once I go forward I don't come back. I was a marathon runner and crossfitter. I'd like to walk around the block or hike. I know I have my limitations. Tonight I peeled last weeks patch apart placing it sublingual and then chewing with a half bottle of wine. Ugh 3am and wide awake..... Suggestions please, you don't have to have medical reasons for using, I feel like the ones who don't have more knowledge. Sorry all. I want to sleep and function. Maybe asking for too much.

Last edited:
I have MS and mild MD, I've tired to stay off meds for as long as I can. I've been taking 5mg Roxy's a few times a day and it's not cutting it. I was just put on 5mg of butrans, and I feel like my pain is works. I take the Roxy's for break through. I am not naive to opiates; just the combo. I am 2 weeks in. I feel like s***. I just chewed the clear patch from last week after taking a couple break thru's.... I'm finding myself drinking to try to help. Any input would be great. I take Klonipin also. I am having that bumped as muscle relaxants screw my balance and liver up. I just want to be functional. Everyone on here am has so much knowledge, I love it. I was first give bupe in Mexico for an a fall I had. Now here in the US I feel like they're not nearly as effective. I place on a Friday and Sat I'm worthless and sleep after that, my pain is worse. It's like the Crakin is rising. I just want to be active again. As functional as one in my state can be. I don't think I'm asking too much with all the meds out there. My doc said if this didn't work we would try and XR instead. What do you think?? It's been 4 years, managed 2 with out pain meds. I'm only 36 so I know once I go forward I don't come back. I was a marathon runner and crossfitter. I'd like to walk around the block or hike. I know I have my limitations. Tonight I peeled last weeks patch apart placing it sublingual and then chewing with a half bottle of wine. Ugh 3am and wide awake..... Suggestions please, you don't have to have medical reasons for using, I feel like the ones who don't have more knowledge. Sorry all. I want to sleep and function. Maybe asking for too much.

I worked with a few clients as a BHT while they transitioned from morphine or fent patches to butran patches. You will likely feel an increase in your pain during the first few weeks. After your body becomes accustomed to the buprenorphine your level of rebound pain could possible begin to decrease. You may also feel more stable and less of a need to take more unlike morphine or oxy. Just try and stick with it. Instead of chewing on old patches if you still feel totally under medicated and in pain you could go for a dose increase after 10-14 days. I believe someone in your position is more likely function on butran parches instead of a full agonist like oxy. After you get on an strong opiate like morphine it may work well for a few months but then you will have to increase the dose. Tolerance builds much slower with the bupe patches.

Last edited:
Once again I ask. Does anyone know the best spot to stick them for maximum uptake. I'm assuming close to a major artery?

Also consider where it will stay on through heat and sweat... if it were me I would use the upper pectoral, thats what worked for me with nicotine.

I am a bit horrified at how many people cant use a search engine.
want to find out about norspan patches?... consult the manufacturers product guide ( http://www.guildlink.com.au/gc/ws/mf/pi.cfm?product=mfpnorsp )
It clearly states that bupe is very slightly soluble in water, but freely soluble in acetone.
Id suggest extraction with acetone and evaporation (acetone evaporates amazingly fast, and is pretty cheap at the big hardware stores)
BUT DO AN EVAPORATION TEST FIRST TO SEE IF IT LEAVES ANY RESIDUE !!!
DO NOT USE ACETONE WHICH LEAVES ANYTHING ON A CLEAN GLASS SURFACE
It also states that transdermal transfer is increased through application of heat (via heatpack or hot water bottle)

I'm currently taking targin 20mg (oxy + naloxone) but find it keeps me awake at night, so for nights when I need to be sharp the next morning I take oxynorm 20mg.
(at least... that's what I tell the doctor)
Oxynorm is oxycodone and the only additive in the capsule is microcrystalline cellulose, which is insoluble in water and is completely removed when passed through a .22 micron filter, which are only a buck from the needle exchange and can last for a dozen uses(despite being labelled "single use")

I've never found Tramadol to be any good at all, same as Palexia (Tapentadol)

My pain clinic wants to shift me to Norspan patches again, but with Flixotide sprayed on before patch application.
Contrary to everyone elses findings here, I had no trouble keeping a patch on for a week. My problem was that when removing the patch, the skin came with it.
Not sure why a steroid spray will prevent that, but I'll try it for one patch then probably extract the rest.

I'm wondering why so many Americans are against public health care. Government buying power brings down the cost of service provision and subsidises healthcare for low income citizens.
I have hit my pharmaceutical safety net and no longer have to pay for PBS listed meds until next year.
I hit the safety net 2 months ago, so by the end of the year I will have been given 6 x 20 x 20mg oxynorm, 3 x 20 x 20mg targin and a packet of Norspan patches free. ( I'm guessing my friendly doctor will start me on Norspan 10s or 20s)
We also have free needle exchanges where I can grab a box of syringes, a box of 25g needles, a box of swabs and a sharps disposal container every month, no questions asked.

so glad to be Australian :D

Quick question: how do these patches work in terms of opiates? I?m confused: originally I was prescribed these in addition to my norco. Yet, I thought Butrans specifically blocked the receptor rendering the opiate useless? I?m asking because I chewed a patch earlier, but before bed I wanted to take my norco. Is taking the norco prior to bed useless because it?ll be completely blocked from giving any effect? If so, how long does the Butrans block for? Or is this completely bullshit and you can take an opiate anytime after a Butrans patch and still achieve full use of the medicine? Just need to know so I don?t waste. Thank you!

Almost replied with info about as wrong as possible b/c I almost didn't UAFSE. I was about to "correct" the solubility information two posts above, b/c I'd made the mistake once of reading the solubility of buprenorphine when in fact I intended to find the solubility of the active ingredient in Subutex (bupe HCl salt).

The post above is correct. The patch contains the free base. Indeed the solubility of it in water, as expected is quite low.

Use dry acetone, no water. There's ways to dry acetone containing water without distilling it, you can look up non-distillation methods of drying solvents as I'm not sure the BLUA allows me to post that info. It is not difficult. As mentioned above it should be 99% acetone, preferably obtained from a scientific supply company. In the US such companies exist which have retail outlets used mainly by science teachers and persons with other "legit" scientific needs that are not industrial. I would think you could find a similar retail distributor who carries 1L glass bottles of acetone - without water or other adulterants - if you're near a decent sized town in any western country.

Ime they don't ask questions if you know what you're looking for and not buying the equipment and solvents (or asking for them) to manufacture a controlled substance or anything potentially dangerous. They should stock and sell the type of acetone needed for an API extraction.

Per the data sheet from Australia for the patch mentioned (version: "Supersedes mfpnorsp10715"), listed as "other ingredients": levulinic acid, oleyl oleate, povidone, Duro Tak 387-2051, Duro Tak 387-2054 and polyethylene terephthalate

BUTRANS the US patch that came up on a search contained (an may still contain only these - but dbl check most recent package insert for US patches): levulinic acid, oleyl oleate, povidone, and polyacrylate cross-linked with aluminum .

It is possible that the definition of inactive ingredients varies b/w US and AU, where one may include or exclude material from the patch that is well separated from the active ingredient (the backside of the patch, adhesive layer, etc..). Not all or more ingredients that would be present during extraction may be involved in any given extraction of a bupe freebase patch.

And yes, I should have expected that the patch would contain the freebase and not the hydrochloride or other salt form! Deeerrrrr....

Ensure that no other components of the material you will be extracting from are at all soluble in acetone. If that was posted above - great, but I'd double check myself if I were you. Not a knock on anyone's posts - just a dbl check is always good. A formulation change could introduce a new excipient, etc... Ensure you have the most recent FDA / regulatory label for the patch in question.