• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine for depression?

As for the op (in the newer thread I merged) have you considered therapy not related to drugs?

You should only try drugs for depression if you satisfy all of the following:

Do you get at least 90-180 minutes of hard exercise a week?
Are you free of substance abuse issues? Drugs or alcohol...
Do you entirely avoid fast food/ junk food/ drinking soda pop?
Are you employed, in school, or otherwise exercising your mind?
Do you interact with unfamiliiar people at least once a week?

Until you can satisfy all those and still be unhappy, you don't need drugs for depression.

Tric, did it give you the "after careful deliberation and deeep thought, it has been decided that the thread you have tried to merge is already there."? Often the error messages you get on the modcp are hilarious.

Yes I lol'd hard and frequently do, I love the error messages.

I endorse Muvolution, the proper diet and exercise have worked wonders for me in ways medication never could.

Was on Effexor XR for years and got off of it; wanted to kill myself! The w'ds were severe and unbearable. I couldn't even drive, eat, anything.

Was on Effexor XR for years and got off of it; wanted to kill myself! The w'ds were severe and unbearable. I couldn't even drive, eat, anything.

Are you taking buprenorphine now off label for depression?

No, I meant psychiatry. Psychology is therapy for the mind and behaviour, psychiatry is a medical specialty devoted to the treatment of mental disorders. But yeah, psychiatry is helpful too. I was kind of considering it as lumped in with counseling or "etc".

in the uk the only difference seems to be psychiatrists can prescribe medication and oversee treatment rather than do it directly. for example, i have a psychiatrist who prescribes my medication who i see once every few months, who referred me to a psychologist who actually helps me who i see every week.

i wasn't talking about getting high of buprenorphine. i know it's possible and 2mg iv was one of the most intense highs i've ever had (i, at the time had little to no tolerance, so yeah, it could have killed me).

antidepressants don't get you high, with the possible exception of amineptine but that's an entirely different story. i was wondering if daily intake of low dose bupe might exert anti-depressant effects when all common classes of antidepressants have failed. i thought about it again, and since i'd have to take it daily, i'd definitely develop a physical dependency, and while all antidepressants do that, most are are not as unpleasant to withdraw from as an opioid. so yeah, i shitcanned the idea. tricomb made some really good suggestions per PM, and i guess i'm still looking for an easy, chemical way out of my depression. apparently for some people there is none. i seem to be one of these people. so now i'll have to remind myself daily that i'm basically fighting for my life and that any excersion is worth it if it finally makes my life worth living again. i don't know, my whole mindset was always set on chemicals and drugs and i once seriously believed that if i juggled the right amount of different drugs in the right dosages, i'd be right as rain. but then again, i was never very sensible, and that that's a horrible idea is probably apparent even to a 12 year old, but 21-year old me thought it was pure genius. i guess it's time to change that as chemicals/drugs may have given me incredible highs, but continually deteriorated my mental well-being. time to bite the bullet i guess and start the really hard path that is regular excersive, minimal to no non-medicinal drug intake and and attempting to overcome my inherent distrust and dislike when it comes to people in general. i don't know if i'll make it, i don't know if i'll manage to turn my life around, but by god, if i don't try with all i got i might as well just take the nearest razorblade, pour myself a nice warm bath, open up a few major veins or arteries and grab a toaster for good measure and end it once and for all. as far as shitty solutions go, it's pretty high up there, but it beats a slow, protracted death by alcoholism. even though i don't enjoy life much i want to live so i guess there's only one thing to do. and since i could end my life right now but choose not to the only thing left to do is start living better. it's probably gonna be the hardest thing i've ever faced, and will be full of disappointments, anxiety, desperation, etc. etc.
but at this point in my life, it's probably the only way there is, if i ever want to live a life of at least moderate contentment. i don't know where i'll draw the strength and the discipline and all that to basically turn my life around so drastically. but the past days on this stim made a few things clear to me: i will always be addiction prone, and there's no cure for that. you can only manage it, usually by total abstinence. i'll probably always be depressed and will have horrible days full of suicidal ideation and despair. but as long as those things are the exception, and not the norm, like they have been for more than half my life, then i've gained more than i ever could've hoped for. i sort of have tricomb to thank for playing a part in facilitating this epiphany, it was already there before we talked, but somehow our PMs gave it a clarity it lacked beforehand and that i desperately needed.
so am i looking forward to this? about as much as i'd look forward to a spinal tap or a colonoscopy. but some things just need to be done. at this point of my life, i really only have two choices. live or die. and if my one suicide attempt taught me anything, then it's that all life wants to live. it also taught me that i either have a shitton of luck or an unnatural tolerance to certain drugs. the cocktail i took (1g doxepin, 10 grams quetiapine, 800mgs dominal, 1 gram tramadol, 600mgs codeine, 1g diazepam, 2g chlorprothixene, a small bottle of MCP to prevent vomiting, washed down with a fifth of vodka) was very consciously designed to kill me, and they found me about 18 hours after i ingested all that, so no more stomach pumping possible and i don't know what they did in the ICU but i survived even though i should have been stone fucking dead. the doctors flat out said that surviving that cocktail was against all medical odds. i was in a coma for, i don't even know how long, maybe 4-5 days, and then came 3-4 days of drifting in and out of consciousness, and consciousness was actually severe delirium. i had long talks with my mother for example, who had been dead for six years at that point. it took about ten days until i regained a modicum of clear thought, and how i managed to convice the doctors in this state that it wasn't a suicide attempt, that i was just drunk and wanted to get really high i don't know. no way in hell they bought that load of shit, but apparently there's always the possibility of extreme stupidity, so i was released after ten days in icu against medical advice. it tought me a few very important things: the human body is very hard to kill. there is no surefire way to end one's life. and most importantly: suicide fucking sucks. all life wants to live. i've often had suicidal ideation since, but it stayed exactly that, a thought in my head. i know that the only circumstance where i will again attempt to end my life is if i'm diagnosed with a terminal disease, like cancer. after seeing my mother go that way i knew that the slow decay of cancer is pretty much one of the worst ways to go. it's actually not that dissimilar to the alcoholism i've been subjecting myself too, the big difference being that cancer doesn't just stop killing you if you quit drinking. i know i already damaged my fine motorics, my cognitive abilities, my stomach and my liver with my alcoholism. and for what? alcohol doesn't even make me happy, like heroin or coke. in fact, 90% of the time i'm drunk, i'm a lot more miserable than i am sober.
really sorry for the long winded rant, i'm at a point in my life where it's literally do or die.

also, i was in psychotherapy for five years. didn't help much. wanna hear something really funny? my father is a psychologist, and from what his patients say actually quite a competent one. it still makes me giggle, in a very cynical, mirthless way.

Last edited:
good. really seriously if you're serious, stop taking recreational drugs, because they don't help and often make depression worse.

venlafaxine withdrawal really is horrible. i took it for a year at 300mgs a day, then quit cold turkey. very much unlike any other withdrawal i ever experienced, but i never got why some substances are bad because they're addictive and cause withdrawals, while others are not really considered addictive but nonetheless cause abso-fuckin-lutely horrible withdrawals and thus are a-okay. honestly, the way my psychiatrist described venlafaxine, it sounded like it was tailor made by a bunch of nobel-prize winning genius pharmacologists specifically for me. it ended up having almost no effect on my anxiety and a very small effect on my depression, that might as well have been placebo. i mean he refused to prescribe me alprazolam, which i never took daily and only in case of anxiety attacks and had been more or less okay with that for years. i'd go through maybe 50 1mg pills every 6-8 weeks. but now, alprazolam was too addictive, here, take venlafaxine daily, it's much better and not addictive at all and all your problems will melt away under the magic that is medication. i was never physically dependent on benzos, mentally yeah, and i sometimes used them just for the hell of it, but venlafaxine not only worsened the symptoms the first four weeks, it also caused such nice side effects as being unable to climax, wanting to consume nothing aside from cigarettes and strong coffee, bone dry mouth, diarrhea, nausea and i'm sure a few more i'm forgetting now. once the side-effects faded it was semi-tolerable, but i still got vicious panic attacks, only now without any alprazolam to deal with them. so all in all, i've completely lost my trust in psychiatrists.

i actually for the past years haven't taken many recreational drugs. but it probably still would have been better than my quart of cheap vodka a day habit in the worst stages of my alcoholism a year ago.

alcoholism is such a terrible disease, best put a stop to that before the slow painful death that ensues. <3 be stronger than depression, or at the very least, try.

the thing about alcoholism is, i don't really view at as a disease per se, as it somehow makes everything to easy. a disease for me is something you have no control over, and although i didn't have much control over the boozing, it still is completely distinct from something like cancer. i always had/have the option to stop, and it may be incredibly fucking hard, but i can stop. you cannot just decide not to have cancer anymore.
does the neuronal remapping alcohol addiction does to your brain have similarities to a disease? certainly. but i think anything that can be ended by volition alone doesn't really qualify, i've known a lot of alcoholics who used the 'it's a disease, i have no control over it' as a perfect excuse to never stop. i'm dead serious about quitting drinking, and i know it's gonna be one hell of a bastard to do, but i'm determined to do it. see, the thing that's become abundantly clear is that alcohol isn't even fun. i mean, when i shoot h, at least that makes me genuinely happy for a while, whereas drunk i'm maudlin, self-pitying, prone to mood swings, sometimes needlessly aggressive.... to put it simple, alcohol turns me into a right cunt. and i've been doing this to myself for too long.
also i think i just about got most of my self-destructive urges out of my system. it seemed really cool and all when i was 18, but now it has thoroughly lost its charm. also, i'll never be able to manage school with any kind of drinking habit. or drug habit. ten years of addiction are enough i think.

It deffinedly is a good anti deppresant. All i know is I nearly hung myself one day and I took some sub and felt ALOT better.

of course it has anti depressant qualities, wanna know why? because it's a drug, an opioid, full agonist or partial, regardless, its supposed to make u feel good, and no depressed, as goes with any controlled substance, for the most part. its a false sesnse of happiness. your experiecing euphoria

^ Um, yeah? Most doctors aren't just going to go off your word that you are addicted to opiates though. They will examine you and most likely drug test you. If they don't piss test you, then you aren't free to lie about it. There are quite a few physical signs of withdrawal that they look for. If those aren't there, then chances are they aren't going to give you Suboxone.

in New York State, you can go to any suboxone doctor and say ur an addict, and u will walk out with a script, guaranteed, thats if u lie and say ur an addict, if they piss test u, and ur clean, alot of doctors PREFER that, they look at it as your trying to be clean, and u are, but they may feel u can benefit from suboxone to decrease chance of relapse if ur urine is "clean". my old sub doctor told me regardless if im clean, im better of being on suboxone so i dont have higher risk of relapse. most cash doctors just take ur word and give u ur script...so easy in NY

i been on suboxone for 4 years, there is days. maybe weeks where it makes me not depressed and managable, feeling smooth. then there is days or weeks where it makes me very irritable, anxiety ridden, depressed, tired, headaches...i think i may switch to methadone so i can atleast have a legal buzz so i can feel content and relapse-free from opiates, and just be legally high..suboxone just aint doing it for me ne more

Maybe anti-depressant for people that are already dependent on opiates/oids. I just don't see the value in trading the prospect of reduced depression symptoms for a guaranteed dependence on opiates/oids. The beauty of buprenorphine is its ability to give you time off from worrying about your addiction to focus on improving the circumstances of your life.

i been on suboxone for 4 years, there is days. maybe weeks where it makes me not depressed and managable, feeling smooth. then there is days or weeks where it makes me very irritable, anxiety ridden, depressed, tired, headaches...i think i may switch to methadone so i can atleast have a legal buzz so i can feel content and relapse-free from opiates, and just be legally high..suboxone just aint doing it for me ne more

Unless you have been on methadone maintenance for a period of time, this may not be a good way to look at sub vs. done...It just doesnt work that way for most.

I've read this whole thread from first to last page b/c I found it very interesting. I would hope people that have been on the Suboxone/utex for longer than a year would post and let everyone know how they are doing. If it is still helping w/their depression etc... If you are prescribed the Suboxone from a dr. then I wouldn't think one would have to worry about the withdrawals as he/she wld be tapered off properly and in time as is best for them.

So referring here to those who are legitimately taking Suboxone, with a previous opiate habit/dependency and suffers from depression, I can only see POSITIVE results based on what I've read in this thread and many others where suboxone was the topic. Most Everyone claims it has been a "lifesaver" for them. I've only heard that headaches were an issue and that was on Suboxone not the Subutex. Also, I think many that suffer headaches may be on too high a dose so that can be adjusted. People sometimes complain about insomnia but again, from what I've witnessed, it was due to too high a dose and too close to bedtime, so again, it's a matter of adjusting the evening dose. Otherwise, I haven't heard anything negative about Suboxone to date.

For anyone who is opiate dependant and just sick of the whole process, has depression, whether due to drug use or a seperate diagnosis, and low functioning at this point anyway, what can be the harm? This is where you choose the lesser of the 2 evils. For those who suffer from depression, you know all too well that you can't "exercise, socialize etc.."when in the midst of the debilitating depression. You need something that is going to help you to get out and do these things again and I beleive this is the right medication and probably a lifesaver literally. No joke when depression has you so bad that you have panic attacks when thinking of driving, or even going out of the house. Those w/that sort of severe depression know. I have to reiterate though, I'm referrng to depressoin and also an opiate dependency as idk about how I even would view prescribing for depression w/no prior opiate history.

It would be good to see a thread on those on suboxone long-term-1yr or more and how they are doing now on all levels. Well good luck to everyone looking for a way out and a way to a better life and hope this is the cure for this particular issue. What a Godsend then and from what I hear, it seems to be.

I know there was some study done back in the late 90's at harvard or some shit and then basically said Buprenorphine was one of the most successful meds they had ever seen for major depression.... But sense it is a partial-agnoist(sp? antagosist?) opioid they doctors can't prescribe it for depression..I had a friend that used suboxone for depression (he wasn't scripted it.), he tried it one time and said it was the only thing that ever cured his depression. But your depression better be pretty BAD to want to resort to taking suboxone as you will become dependent upon the Suboxone sense sub is an opioid.

I never did understand what partial agonist meant, neuropsychopharmacologically.