• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Bupe for Psychological Addiction?

Dou8leL1fe

Greenlighter
My friend has been psychologically addicted to pain pills for nearly 10 years. His use is not daily and he is not physically addicted, but use is a relatively constant theme in his life. Up until now, it's always been prescription pills, but now he's contemplating heroin. He knows this will eventually lead to one or more of the following consequences: full blown addiction, arrest, failed drug screens and loss of job, mugging, OD, etc. While these sound like good motivators to not go down the rabbit hole, he's concerned he can't resist the temptation, especially as pills become harder to obtain.

Does this friend seem like a good candidate for low dose suboxone? Thinking this might be a good alternative for the following reasons:
  • Bupe helps reduce cravings for more harmful/illegal opiates
  • Regulated supply limits quantity and ensures quality
  • Legal prescription eliminates risks of copping narcotics illegally
  • Not part of standard drug test, so unlikely to impact his job

My friend is concerned that he won't qualify for bupe/sub because he doesn't currently suffer from withdrawals and may not have a dirty urine sample. He also doesn't expect to need a daily dose, therefore would only take on days that cravings would otherwise lead to use of pills/heroin.

Thoughts?

Hi there. Your friend has done well to not get a physical addiction.
It seems he can chip as he's been doing them a while.
Naltrexone would be the answer to him not doing any more but I think he wants a buzz too? What's his/her tolerance? Bupe might not be that enjoyable if it's average/high.
Bupe has a long half life so even skipping days it's still continuous use, unless he has a week off at a time.
Un the UK you need to provide a positive urine for opiates so he only has to do some before he goes. Just tell them he does withdraw. I feel this can only end bad tho. He might be able to do heroin like he has with pills, I don't know.
I feel he will try it as the seed is already planted. Just keep him safe and try keep him away from the needle. Easier said than done I know. Be careful I wish you luck.

Thanks Damoxy.

My friend seems to have a low tolerance, claims to not go over 20 mg hydro/oxy per dose.

I've suggested Naltrexone, but he's not interested, because as you mentioned, that would block it all. He says he'd just stop taking it.

Hoping bupe is a good compromise to keep him out of trouble.

I feel i could give good advice here! i myself am on 16mg Suboxone (lucky) i say lucky but it was DHC with me mainly but also any painkiller i could get! (i know i probly would of ended up doing heroin! first wanting to try it to feel the 'ultimite buzz' then possibley and probably moving on! i feel now that im older i and i look back to when i first got put on it i dont like being on it 'but' i was hanging around with a lot of bad influences and i was at a young age 18-19! I would say its saved my life and stopped me maybe hitting the needle and heroin! as there was times i was offered and said no i cant im on suboxone! so right there thats saved me from trying it! because of the Naloxone (blocker!)

So i would say its great to go on to help with cravings, regulated supply evan tho i can easiy were i stay get more) but iv been there and thats a different story! (buying more) i can say they have a ceiling effect! which means! basaiclly its hard to OD! WITH a tolerence! 32mg is the highest prescibers go here! Scotland UK! Also normal drug tests dont usually test for bube! And when i comes to getting actually getting put on them with me it was a case of going to the docter and telling him my situation! he referred me to CAT (community addiction team) and i was on them within the next week! i had to wait for the codeine to start withdrawell then they put me on it and monitered me! not like an inpateient just to see how i reacted to the drug!

with your question reggarding 'My friend is concerned that he won't qualify for bupe/sub because he doesn't currently suffer from withdrawals and may not have a dirty urine sample. He also doesn't expect to need a daily dose, therefore would only take on days that cravings would otherwise lead to use of pills/heroin. '
that is hard to give an exact answer here people would take co-codamol the 1 you can buy otc and take a few so that its in there system! with the withdrawels i hate how they analazy you on if your sweating! shaking! etc but if he wants on it and it will be better for him then go to wherever he needs to go the night before take co-codamol so its in the urine! and just expaln withdrawels! here it is so easy! its as if they want more peopple on it1 but on the other hand alot of people are suffering!
Were i stay there's is widespread drug abuse! big time!

I have alot of experience with this pm me if you need any other deaills anything that i can help with!

Happy to help! I have really been down this road before i dont mean to sound like a been there done it guy lol! im addicted to valium now im not bye any means drug free but i from am opiodes! and thats something! Stable on suboxone!

Sorry if some of this looks rushed and the spellings bad! iv litrreally been at this post for over an hour because i would like to give some helpfull input! but still my spelling/grammer might be shit lol!

agaain feel free to reply or pm me iyl awsnder any questions

cheers..

Also ment to say my first 3-4 week on sub! it 100% helped with withdrawel and i was taking alot of dhc and codeine! i felt so relived that i didn't have to go look for painkillers anymore! This helped massivly! with withdrawells, sleep and basically everyday life!

So to sum up i think Suboxone is great if your experimenting with opiods (like the above) or any really or have a habit or just want to get clean! id say its alot better than methadone purely because it blocks all painkillers and other opiods! so while the bupe holds you and helps and also has an anti depressant effect (study's suggest at Hardvard) the naloxone detters you away from other opioids! like when i got offered but said no because im on SUBOXONE :) that there could of and probaly did safe my life!

cheers..