• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Bupe And Liver Damage?

daddysgone

Bluelighter
Hi all
I am wondering if anyone has any information regarding whether buprenorphine is known to cause liver damage.
I know that opioids in general are quite gentle on the body (including the liver), however I recall reading somewhere that buprenorphine actually is known to cause liver damage.

The main reason I am asking is because my doctor just had my liver enzymes checked and they were somewhat elevated (not terribly elevated, but above normal). I am on about 2mg of bupe per day, and have never had abnormal liver test results before, and Im curious/worried that bupe may be the culprit.

So, does anyone have any info on whether bupe is known to cause liver damage.

Note-I do not have hepatitis or any other liver disorders.-DG

Hey man from my experience(and a little research on the web) there have been few cases directly linking suboxone or subutex to liver damage. In what I read this was mostly due to large amounts being consumed, even though I think it ceilings at like 32 mg or something. I would be surprised if that were the case. I was personally on bupe(suboxone) for almost 2 years(starting at 16 mg daily down to .25 eventually) and haven't had any problems. Check with your doc and see what they say. Hope everything is straight

Buprenorphine is known to show slightly elevated levels on ALT/AST (enzyme amine transferase) levels on lab tests. Besides this, I don't believe it causes hepatotoxicity though.

If you read some of the drug info about buprenorphine provided by the FDA, you will find that it is common for buprenorphine to cause slightly elevated ALT/AST levels (abnormal) without any direct toxic effects to the liver. When you get off of the buprenorphine you shouldn't have the issues anymore unless you have underlying liver issues (hepatits C, etc.)

Methadone doesn't cause this lab result abnormality/'false positive.'

Buprenorphine is known to show slightly elevated levels on ALT/AST (enzyme amine transferase) levels on lab tests. Besides this, I don't believe it causes hepatotoxicity though.

If you read some of the drug info about buprenorphine provided by the FDA, you will find that it is common for buprenorphine to cause slightly elevated ALT/AST levels (abnormal) without any direct toxic effects to the liver. When you get off of the buprenorphine you shouldn't have the issues anymore unless you have underlying liver issues (hepatits C, etc.)

Methadone doesn't cause this lab result abnormality/'false positive.'

Thats interesting.
I just had my liver function rechecked and my levels are still elevated.
My AST is 54 and my ALT is 82.

These aren't far from normal, but they are definitely above the normal range, and higher then they were when they were checked the first time a few weeks ago.

Again, I am only on about 2mg per day so it seems somewhat doubtful that such a low dose would cause abnormal test results.

The only other medication I take regularly is alprazolam, which I take at about .5-1mg per day. This too is a low dosage.

Does it seem likely that its the bupe or alprazolam (or both) that could be causing these elevated liver enzymes?--DG

Last edited: