• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Bruxism from opioid WD and damage to teeth

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
I had no cavities my whole life and perfect teeth. By about two years after staring opiates (late twenties) I had literally dozens of cavities and everytime I go to the dentist it's like 10 more cavities.

Finally a dentist realized the cavities are from tooth grinding (the pressure actually cracks the enamel allowing cavities to easily form) and my teeth are getting worn away from the grinding also.

I've noticed this jaw grinding increases during basically any time I dont have the right amount of opiates in my system. Especially withdrawal.

Tldr Basically I think that opiate use and WD cause grinding resulting in tooth damage and cavities

Anyone else experience something Similar?

That has been my experience, and there is also the issue of craving sugar whilst on opioids. Add to that the fact that some opioids and many potentiators and adjuncts have anticholinergic effects, the risk of cavities increases, caeteris paribus. For some reason, not only do I get sugar cravings on hydromorphone, later I get salt cravings too.

I dont get sugar cravings on opioids. I actually lost my appetite. During WD I crave carbs.

In my case I think it's mainly due to grinding. I had a mouth guard made by the dentist but I always forget to wear it.

It's my 4th day completely off of opioids I hope to god I dont have to take them again

Bruxism is a problem with many of the sympathomimetic stimulants like MDMA, dextroamphetamine, pyrovalerone and so forth, and opioid withdrawal causes over-stimulation of the CNS as manifested in the insomnia and elevation of body temperature, so it certainly appears to be correlated. I have also noted a difference in the cravings for sugar from one opioid to the other -- the natural and semi-synthetics most, open-chain opioids next, 4-phenylpiperidines have never given me sugar cravings, piritramide and levorphanol seem to give me a craving for complex carbohydrates as well. Monographs and package inserts for hydromorphone mention transient hyperglycaemia following administration, so one would think that a glucose crash follows. I have noticed that hydromorphone in particular also has the side effect of diaphoresis starting a few minutes after IV and SC administration and a little longer after IM, which is also a hypoglycaemia symptom. I am thinking that the diaphoresis is related to the salt cravings, which start in the second hour after a dose.

The results of an experiment I did today are:
Blood Glucose in milligrammes per decilitre before, during, and after IM injection of 36 mg of hydromorphone (Dilaudid HP)*
T -10 minutes: 116
Blood drop from injection site: 116
T + 3 minutes: 161
T + 15 minutes: 130
T + 36 minutes: 100
T + 1 hour: 111

* Your mileage will vary big time -- do not do this if you do not have serious opioid tolerance

Last edited:
The only opiate that made me grind my teeth, and it really wasn't bad, was tramadol.

I noticed more tooth-grinding when I was on tramadol by itself than when I was taking it on top of extended-release dihydrocodeine, and it disappeared outright when I added hydroxyzine and/or promethazine to the mix. It may be serotonin that is the cause of the bruxism in such cases, so agents that reduce the absolute quantity and/or ratio of serotonin to other neurotransmitters might help prevent the grinding. Does anyone out there get bruxism from, for example, cyclobenzaprine, the muscle relaxant related to the tricyclic antidepressants?

Last edited:
My bet would be on norepinephrine being the main culprit for bruxism, it's also released or inhibited, to a certain degree, by all the drugs mentioned here.

that's odd, i've never experienced bruxism with opiates/opioids. only with CNS stimulants.

My bet would be on norepinephrine being the main culprit for bruxism, it's also released or inhibited, to a certain degree, by all the drugs mentioned here.

That makes even more sense, and also opens up the possibility that clonidine could combat it in people in withdrawal, amongst other symptoms.

Damn, I'm glad this never happened to me. I get bruxism from stimulants but never did from opiate WD. I did experience GHB withdrawal and was getting it bad then, but I switched to phenibut to taper so I missed all that bad stuff.