• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Brompheniramine as a sleep aid...

burntserkits

Bluelighter
I am in search of an OTC sleep aid. Diphen and dox are not very effective for me and am considering trying brompheniramine. I need something for occasional insomnia as well as allergy relief. I know it has a pretty long half-life and inhibits the reuptake of serotonin. I also hear it potentiates opioid analgesics wonderfully. This sounds like an amazing drug especially for an H1. As far as its effectiveness for sleep, I'm finding very little...

if your seeing a doctor, ask about nortriptoline... its very cheap... its an old drug, and is used off label for everything.
i use it for sleeping and neurgesic pain..

i wear the fent patches, and i cant sleep for isht with those... some nites i lay in bed for 8 hours rolling around.....

I am in search of an OTC sleep aid. Diphen and dox are not very effective for me and am considering trying brompheniramine. I need something for occasional insomnia as well as allergy relief. I know it has a pretty long half-life and inhibits the reuptake of serotonin. I also hear it potentiates opioid analgesics wonderfully. This sounds like an amazing drug especially for an H1. As far as its effectiveness for sleep, I'm finding very little...

bloody awfull drug (imo/ime) best avoided at all costs!

You can't have promethazine? I mean OTC. That would be better, or nortriptyline if your doc is ok, as freud said.

This is an OTC drug in the US sold as an active ing. in Dimetapp. Certainly something worth looking into. As for promethazine, I would opt for it but that's not an option. Not looking to visit a doctor unless that's what it has to come to... :\

bloody awfull drug (imo/ime) best avoided at all costs!

Why is that?

if your seeing a doctor, ask about nortriptoline... its very cheap... its an old drug, and is used off label for everything.
i use it for sleeping and neurgesic pain..

i wear the fent patches, and i cant sleep for isht with those... some nites i lay in bed for 8 hours rolling around.....

I will check it out. Hydroxizine has worked effectively in the past as well. It has provided wonderful stress relief, sleep and reduced nausea for me while I was on MMT...

have you tried melatonin? a combo of melatonin and doxylamine and maybe some vitamin b6 should help you sleep. i know you said that doxylamine doesn't work for you but in combo with the others listed, it might help.

but if you can see a dr try what the other posters have said or ask for doxepin or even imipramine or amitryptaline.. they are old drugs too and they help sleep. They are tricyclic antidepressants. used off label for a lot of stuff. good luck :)

My regimen as of late has been alternating between trazodone and amitryp both of which I have a plethora of. Melatonin is in my usual arsenal as well. Tricylics are not my cup of tea though. I reach a burnout level with them within a week of taking them...

Hydroxizine has worked effectively in the past as well. It has provided wonderful stress relief, sleep and reduced nausea for me while I was on MMT...

Hydroxyzine does a wonderful job at potentiating methadone.

Now be careful folks, you have to be tolerant to methadone and/or on MMT to manage the combo without getting killed...

edit: but why don't you take hydroxyzine instead of brompheniramine, then? You don't have access to it no more?

have you tried atypical anti psychotics? like zyprexa, seroquel, or risperdol?

If and when I'm able to see a doctor, I'd opt for a hypnotic over an anti-psycho or tricylic. Money and current location are the issues at hand. American health coverage, or lack thereof, coupled with my unemployment make affording a doctor visit and filling an Rx a VERY difficult task... :\

If and when I'm able to see a doctor, I'd opt for a hypnotic over an anti-psycho or tricylic. Money and current location are the issues at hand. American health coverage, or lack thereof, coupled with my unemployment make affording a doctor visit and filling an Rx a VERY difficult task... :\

yeah i hear ya, im just lucky that the local hospital where i live has a financial program that if you make under a certain amount of money you receive all their services free, including er visits and seeing my psychiatrist. i also get my prescriptions at cost from the hospitals pharmacy, and get my zyprexa free through eli lilly which is great cuz it costs a lot for it..

good luck with everything.