• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Broadband ISP

Without trying to sound like a cunt, but really, ... you're the sort of customer nobody wants. You're the reason they have "fair use" policies (even if they aren't inforcing it in this case).

Thanks to the iinet fanboi's in here for pushing it so hard. I took a second look at them yesterday because of all the stuff I was reading here and I think I'll be signing with them when I move to my new place.

This is great news as I was going to stick with Optus on ADSL1, now I'm going to be on DSL2 and my new place is only 300 metres from the exchange! =D

Nope, Elsternwick exchange is not enabled... and of course, Optus don't advertise anything about when their exchanges are being upgraded to DSL2. I mean if they could say in twelve months, cool, I'd sign up and wait to be ported but with no indication of when, I think I'll go to iinet instead.

I've tried pretty hard to stay with them but they've not made it very attractive. Doesn't matter, they have plenty of other customers.

Yeah, Optus are wankers. Real wankers.

While I can fault Telstra's products, I've always found their staff to be excellent. When I spoke to the lady who transferred my cable, she was fantastic.

I actually commend Optus' customer service...
When you can get through to them.

I will never, ever, ever touch an Optus product ever again. They fucked me over so badly on a mobile phone years ago I could be given a BJ from the lady of my choice nightly and free ADSL2 with unlimited downloads and I'd still say piss off!

IMHO Iinet are the way to go. Product is good, service and support is way above anything I've found anywhere else (not that you need it!) - I happily dumped Telstra and I'm now with Iinet for everything.

THR! said:
iiNet is similarly priced but you need to pay $34.95 for the line rental.|

um you don't have to sign to the pstn/phone advantage product. if you sign up for the voip product you get 24/1 port speed + double the download

So for example i pay tops 60 bucks, get 24/1mbps port and 7gb peak and 14 offpeak which goes from 2am to 12pm. more then sufficent for the latest simpsons and battlestar galactica.

not that i um ahem ever been gainfully ahem cough emplyed by iiNet but their support people at least like their jobs. well the ones not in sydney anyway

most isp are staffed by apethetic slackers who have usernames that start with the letter C. ;)

honestly though, the ISP that sell a dirt cheap product tend to allow congestion to occur on the backhaul (the ATM/ethernet links)...straight from the horses mouth, if their cheap they tend to be cheap and nasty on the backend.

they usually try and get away with cheapo ATM connections relaying on the burst rate to handle peak spots but obviously after awhile peak traffic becomes baseline and since they're still cheap bastards they won't lay anymore on until it becomes the last option (aka the churn rate increases)

Optus are having heaps from probs with bandwidth lately. probably not a good bet to go with especially in light of launch their residential DSL2+ product which will just put heaps more preasure on their network

most of the cheapo ISP however artifically shape their customers (without telling them) and implement various traffic management mechanisms be it blocking p2p or throttling based on port or any other number of ways. I used to work with a programmer who implemented his own progressive shaping system which if your download exceeded X over X period of time it'd slow your connection down. The key thing was that if you laid off it, the thing would progressively unshape. Statistically it resulted in the ISP subconsciously changing their users downloading habits. a lesson in mind control eh

^^ But don't you still need to pay line rental for the phone line through someone (in addition to the VoIP)?

THR! said:
^^ But don't you still need to pay line rental for the phone line through someone (in addition to the VoIP)?

yeah you still need to pay for the PSTN but just sign up with telstra $19 a mnth line rental.

just make sure you don't make a phone call.

though soon or later we'll be able to sign up for ULL copper and not having to worry bout paying for the low bandwidth voice specturm that we're currently forced to maintain..

just have everything delivered via the DSL, helll internode just launched annex m - 2.5mbps upload rates!

yeah internode are also pretty good actually, never heard anything bad bout them

id imagine of course you have to pay line rental, kinda crap cuz my mobile phone gets me through fine.

And re-broadband, I'm still on my 512/128 plan, with amnet/amcon simply because I download lots of stuff without a noticable speed restriction or cost. Slow I know but yeah.

Yeah, who really needs a landline when you have a mobile (with the possible exception of wanting to make international calls, but Engin suits me fine for that).

Here's what I managed from iiNet last billing month (finished on weekend)

DSC00269.jpg