• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine breathing weird or difficult

lastchoice

Greenlighter
This is the question I google (generally) that led me to this site so I hope someone can fill me in a bit. I recently used cocaine (snorted) and found my breathing wasnt right. first I will try to describe it, then give some background that may or may not be relevant....
The first day I used, it felt like I had lost control of the muscles in my ribcage and my diaphram, basicly everything involved to physicly breath. It was like my diaphram and ab muscles were spasming, pushing up into my ribcage alternating with pulling down and opening my ribcage. Just below my collar bone my ribs felt compressed. Occassionally i would gasp in a quick breath of air. Nothing I did worked to breath normal. The next time i used it was fine. This time no muscle spasms but breathing is shallow, belly breathing and again cant force normal breathing. Each time I also found myself holding my breath without realizing at first I was doing it and it only stops if i really stay focused on not doing it.
The drug itself is from the same supplier. Has a slight taste of soap and diesel, if that matters. As far as amount, I go thru about 1g in a day, a little more if im still going all night. I get about 20 or more doses out of a gram, to give an idea of the amount each time (not a lot).
I will explain the reason for using it, and its not bs, lol, just puts things into context and adds important info: I currently take hydromorphine for pain and cipralex for panic-anxietly-depression disorder (which im sure is mostly from the pain meds :() My doctor has always just thrown meds at any illness and now im stuck with it. The meds cause excessive sleep, drowsiness or lethargy, and I loose a lot of hours every day to it. After asking repeatedly for something to counter this side effect my dr still wont do it, so i took it into my own hands. I have only done cocaine 2 times before this, briefly and in small doses, but at that time wasnt on meds so I am wondering if they are interacting, I also reduce the meds when using. I am using once a week for 1-2 days to catch up on things. My blood pressure normally runs low and i check it, it still runs at a normal rate when i use. pulse isnt faster. any ideas....

Sorry I know thats a long post but the basic question is about breathing difficulty and drug interactions. :\

One input ;
Stimulants increase muscle tension in your entire body. Was it also harder to relax enough to urinate?

Never tried cocain, but I use different stimulants im both recreational and medical doses. Shortness of breath is a typical side effect for adhd stimulants, and stimulants in general.

If it is felt in your throat it is probably also a sign of increased anxiety (compared to you not being om stimulants). Anxiety is also a common side effect.

I'd suggest a different recreational drug than cocaine if you are prone to depression /anxiety/panic attacks.

And perhaps screening for PTSD (and adhd). Your symptoms are popular in our lot. :)

Thanks for reply,
no to the urination. I had that happen once but wasnt using so I am familiar with it.
no effect in my throat.
Had anxiety for decades and recognize it in a lot of different forms, very use to identifying it and this is far different. I suppose it could be that, just need to rule out complications with other meds.
Not fond of cocaine at all, dont see how people use it recreationally as the only effect I found from it is to increase alertness and dull aches and pains. Maybe just not using enough at a time. Going for specific effect/result so if you have any suggestions on what would work better please tell me. This stuff is overpriced, low quality and too hard on the sinuses.
Unfortunantly I have a dr that just does quick diagnoses and prescribes meds, no testing no nothing. He had me hooked on narcotics before I even knew what narcotics are. Im hoping to get away from them but have to find a substitute...

I think the safest thing you can do is to reduce and quit the cocaine. If you already have panic-attac anxiety disorder, the cocaine (stimulant) crashes are likely to make it much worse. Cocaine binges even more. Which, again will make you feel so crap for days, even weeks, so you cannot wait to do more. Not that you need the drug itself, but because you need a way to get a break.

You say you are on hydromorpine for pains. What pains? And did these pains occur before pain meds and addiction?

Are you physical/mental addicted to them? Are you taking the meds recreationally or medically?

You are on both pain meds and antidepressants, and bow you are doing cocaine, even if you are experiencing worrisome symptoms in your torso.

Do you have a way for stopping your binge? I don't think you're in any way becoming more functional (short or long term), but I'm sure it gives a break from the nasty shit called life.

Read up on your diagnosis, and treatment. Lots are still in research and not yet available as medicine. Fewer but better working drugs for your particular need will reward also with fewer meds. And you should probably find a new doctor. If doc only prescribes meds with no other treatment/diagnosis, he is just basically a licensed dealer. Better docs are out there!

I'm a bit high on weed, so I'm probably overanalyzing this. Also, remember that advice from a high person on the internet is exactly that, so don't take my words for gospel.

OP, I can't answer your question but it's never safe to self medicate with street drugs (no judgements though, I get it). Can you at least find safer stimulants to use, such as pharmaceutical amphetamines?

OP, I can't answer your question but it's never safe to self medicate with street drugs (no judgements though, I get it). Can you at least find safer stimulants to use, such as pharmaceutical amphetamines?

This
Maybe it's due to a cut.
You are insufflating it, right? Getting stuff into your lungs can result in inflammation and pneumonia/COPD, so search for something you can take orally, like pharmaceutical amphetamines

And combining cipralex with cocaine is a bad idea as both are SSRIs, cocaine is iirc only a weak one, but still not a good idea

I just re-read your post and clued into something: didn't identify anxiety as a side effect because i define it as a mental state and really dont know the physical symptoms! Will look that up, thank you!

Have you tried standing next to a pot of boiling watee or a shower on hot. The cells lining your lungs are very sensitive and if you inhale poorly soluble conpounds even baking soda or lidocaine or talc ect they can mess up the. Careful balance of minerals proteins ect and cause tissue swelling and make it harder to get air into the lungs because of the tiny hose like things that go into your lungs can swell messing up the ability for air to get in. Maybe if you where exposed to a higher water vapor pressure might help clear sine of the junk away or a sleep apnea machine or nebulized 1.9% nacl. If you feel in danger or you start seeing blue hands ect calk 911 they can measure your o2 and co2 and stabilize you