• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Brain demage?

Well that's a whole other topic but I disagree. First I question your premise. Where did you learn that many of the underlying causes are biochemical in nature? Can you prove that to be true? I would argue that the causes of a great many mental problems are bad parenting/unhealthy family environment and childhood traumatic experiences (as well poor diet, lifestyle choices and lack of social support later in life). If this is the case then we can treat these problems by giving people therapy, love, kindness, support, and teaching them healthy coping skills and stress releaving techniques like meditation.

Secondly, even if there are genetic factors at play that lead to these problems it doesn't logically follow from that that they must be treated with chemicals. If you sit in a room alone on your computer all day, your brain state will be different than if you spend the day outdoors with people who care about you. Are you claiming that drugs are the only way to alter brain chemistry? The fact is that there is no evidence that depression is caused by a prozac deficiency or that anxiety is caused by a xanax deficiency.

Furthermore, even if you want to attempt a pharmalogical approach (which I am not denying can be useful if done wisely) it does not follow from that that long term prescriptions for benzodiazepines and other pharmaceuticals which have been shown to be both harmful and ineffective long term is a good way to go about it. There are many herbs for example, which can be effective for anxiety and depression and are much less dangerous than benzodiazepines. The side effects of long term benzodiazepine usage are often so severe that the patient would be far better off with no treatment at all.