• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Brain damage from antipsychotics? Or stimulants

telepathetic

Bluelighter
Almost 4 years ago now I think, I was a much more normal, stable person. Then I tried meth during a rough breakup and wound up in psychosis. I was put on many heavy antipsychotics. I took them on and off for 3 years, alternating with stimulant relapses on meth and crack.

Now I have all the symptoms of full blown bipolar, to the extent it is life threatening. It's been 6 months since I took antipsychotics, and longer since any meth.

Any damage that you've done is very unlikely to be permanent. The brain is actually pretty amazing at healing over time, especially if you're young (how old are you?).
If you're experiencing bad symptoms you really should see a doctor about it. You don't have to suffer or be in any danger.

Almost 4 years ago now I think, I was a much more normal, stable person. Then I tried meth during a rough breakup and wound up in psychosis. I was put on many heavy antipsychotics. I took them on and off for 3 years, alternating with stimulant relapses on meth and crack.

Now I have all the symptoms of full blown bipolar, to the extent it is life threatening. It's been 6 months since I took antipsychotics, and longer since any meth.
Very VERY unlikely you have brain damage from just trying meth once and ending up in psychosis.

I don’t know your age, but Bipolar can actually develop at anytime of our life span. Most commonly around our early 20’s, but it can happen any time.

So theoretically, you could have developed bipolar while you were on AP’s for 3 years (because that’s a long time). And the thing is, you don’t notice it because you’re on AP’s. You realize you have it after you stop.

For example, I realized I am actually schizoaffective when I stopped my AP. It must’ve really developed the two years I was on my AP. I was already having minor symptoms before hand, but I ignored them.

It very well could be the age thing. I am 28, it all began at 25. Perhaps what led me to leaving my partner, losing my place, and even getting to the point where I'd consider trying meth was my first episode. Who knows.

The meth and psychosis wasn't once, more like 6 or 7 times. Alternating with months on APs.

Also wasn't on the AP 3 years straight, 6 months was the longest, usually stopped after around 3.
Any damage that you've done is very unlikely to be permanent. The brain is actually pretty amazing at healing over time, especially if you're young (how old are you?).
If you're experiencing bad symptoms you really should see a doctor about it. You don't have to suffer or be in any danger.
The only solution I could see a doctor recommend for the danger would be lithium or ECT. Or more APs. I'm much more likely to try ECT, I cannot tolerate the anhedonia of APs.

I was diagnosed early 20s as BP type 2. I still don’t physically feel different and still to this day I make myself believe it is Pharma lies….but with some of the things I do it kinda seems like it lol.

Maybe it’s denial…maybe denial coz it’s true 🤷🏼
I have gone through years and years of meds and self medication and I definitely feel like I live in a fog some days and damage has been done, but personally i have really gone overboard in my life which I do not recommend.

Don’t be scared to see a therapist, just make sure u see minimum 2-3 of them so you get a broader diagnosis.

I am not an expert nor doc sry no real clue what is going on but thanks for the reminder if I use any hardcore stims again my brain will stop healing overnight

Don’t be scared to see a therapist, just make sure u see minimum 2-3 of them so you get a broader diagnosis.
Hmmmm, I have to disagree with you on the broader diagnosis part. Therapists aren't really for diagnosing anything, that's a psychiatrist's job. I do agree that you should try a different therapist if the first one you see doesn't mesh well with you, or isn't helping you. Otherwise there's no real reason to stop seeing the first one.